• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I would like resurrect a line of inquiry:

For any who have compared the Theory, Tangent and Vertex to the Comet which of the three would be best for form work. The mids I have the most distance with so far is the Alias and Matrix. But I have been inconsistent and so I want attack the form issue with one of the three discs above

Theory but I have no experience with a Vertex. Theory and Tangent is almost a wash but I think the Theory is more neutral and less nose angle forgiving. Tangent wouldn't be much more different than most putters for field work.

Apologies if this is a necro, but here my $.02:

I've also started discing down with just a Big Z Comet and an Electron Ion, but thing of eventually adding a DX Leopard. Am I on the right track?

I ask because like many of you, I started out relatively n00b-ish and just buying disc after disc hoping that, mistakenly, I'd someday find that "magic disc" that would instantly unlock that 200' + distance barrier, but earlier this year I thought "you know, there really is no such thing" and so am started to really take discing down seriously instead of just just saying "oh, just one more...." :)

And I'm already seeing much better form.

I've also started discing down with just a Big Z Comet and an Electron Ion, but thing of eventually adding a DX Leopard. Am I on the right track?

I ask because like many of you, I started out relatively n00b-ish and just buying disc after disc hoping that, mistakenly, I'd someday find that "magic disc" that would instantly unlock that 200' + distance barrier, but earlier this year I thought "you know, there really is no such thing" and so am started to really take discing down seriously instead of just just saying "oh, just one more...." :)

Similar story here. I admit, I have a noodle arm. 250' is my max, and accuracy gone at that distance. This season, I am only throwing my Comet, Pure, Hunter and Swan 1. I still pack my Phenom and River, but they say in my bag. And you know what? I get out to about 180 - 210 and my scores had lowered because I am more accurate. I will take that as I work on form to get more distance.

But I won't talk about today's disaster of a round.....Lesson learned.

Similar story here. I admit, I have a noodle arm. 250' is my max, and accuracy gone at that distance. This season, I am only throwing my Comet, Pure, Hunter and Swan 1. I still pack my Phenom and River, but they say in my bag. And you know what? I get out to about 180 - 210 and my scores had lowered because I am more accurate. I will take that as I work on form to get more distance.

But I won't talk about today's disaster of a round.....Lesson learned.

For my 2 cents (worth about 1/10 of a cent in 2018) I also have disc'd down with my bag. With my old man's arm (60 years old) I really couldn't throw more than 300' max with much accuracy so I dumped anything that was a "speed rating" over 10 or was too OS. I now concentrate more on accuracy with reasonable distance (250 to 270 feet) with my well broke in Teebirds and other mids and fairway drivers. I did keep a well broken in Pro Wraith though in my bag. It works very well for me when driving into a headwind or a L to R wind. Accuracy and a decent putting game will help anyone reduce strokes more than just simply trying to throw the hell out of a disc for distance in my newbs opinion. At least that's been my result.

If I remember correctly, you're throwing seated...is it easier for you to throw hyzer, flat, or anhyzer release? If you have a certain comfortable release angle then that will alter what may work easiest for you. DX Leo's glide and fly great though. Also there are some floaty faster mids that have a little better torque resistance and speed to a Comet, the Comet glides incredible, but holds lines and needs height...just a different type of situation. For example the Lat 64 Core is an extremely glidey midrange that has a little more of a -1/1 flight at power or probably a 0/1 flight shape for your power but with a ton of glide and a little better on low lines. Not at all saying replace Comet, they are incredible and I bag one, but if you are wanting different lines in slow speed that is something to Consider.

If I remember correctly, you're throwing seated...is it easier for you to throw hyzer, flat, or anhyzer release? If you have a certain comfortable release angle then that will alter what may work easiest for you. DX Leo's glide and fly great though. Also there are some floaty faster mids that have a little better torque resistance and speed to a Comet, the Comet glides incredible, but holds lines and needs height...just a different type of situation. For example the Lat 64 Core is an extremely glidey midrange that has a little more of a -1/1 flight at power or probably a 0/1 flight shape for your power but with a ton of glide and a little better on low lines. Not at all saying replace Comet, they are incredible and I bag one, but if you are wanting different lines in slow speed that is something to Consider.

Slowplastic, you are correct - I throw best on hyzer lines (though I'm working on flat and anhyzer as well) to my target that's set up in my yard. I've realized that it may be a while before I see any real distance gains, and hat's mostly because of the seated position restricting my lower body movement.

I know from reading many posts on DGCR and elsewhere that one needs to use his/her whole body from the feet up to throw and because the lower half of my body (hips, legs, feet) is essentially immobile, I've come to realize that I'll only get so much out of any one throw or particular golf line, whether that be a drive off of a tee pad, a fairway throw, or a long putt.

^Yeah the DX Leo is probably a great bet as you can probably release it with some hyzer and get straight shots. Some midranges that are glidey and on the understable side like the Fuse or Tursas, Tursas being even less stable, may give you some great hyzer flip lines too and power down well. I think staying in that speed range is likely a good bet, though the Westside Underworld may be another disc to try if you want something in premium plastic.

Nose down and clean releases with glidey discs that reward those shots is probably the best route to distance without too much strain.

Good job bumping this thread back up its incredibly useful to disc down. I second anything slowplastic said... I was actually going to necro this one myself.. None of my distance drivers are really clicking right now I'm scaling back to my fairways for a while just got a 174 Relay to fill the hole my 166 has left since it has worn in to understable

Definitely. What slowplastic posted is 100% on point. To piggyback off his posts, I'll just give a general breakdown for others' reading:

Putters: The furthest you can disc down to and that's b/c they are the easiest to throw straight and control. Slow discs for slow arms.

Mid ranges: Also great for slow arms b/c even though they are faster in rim design, they're usually wider diameter which is easier to get up to speed. The wider diameter also typically translates to increased glide which is the down discers best friend. Also marginally more nose angle sensitive so angle control and line shaping is better understood with mids vs putters.

FW drivers: Usually smaller diameter and much faster rim profiles. The slowest drivers are very useful for discing down in particular for really teaching you how to control nose angle sensitive discs. Generally the faster the disc, the more nose angle sensitive it'll be. Learning how to throw with the nose down (really not nose up) is integral for unlocking distance which is the most common goal for people that disc down. You may not want to bag any drivers initially if your form is complete garbage or starting from scratch but it's a great idea to keep working with a neutral to understable FW driver for learning how to find the right angles.

This is just a breakdown in regards to form work. There are other advantages of putter vs mids vs drivers in terms of strategy, etc.

Back again was in a revival mode today. Tried playing with some of my beefier stuff didn't really work out Its probably time to disc down again, try and get my form better. I'm going to pack a couple Relays and a Switch try and get it all done with fairways and make some bag space for more putter action. I'm rethinking my throw lately since I keep losing distance. I really want to throw a Vanish in for Sunday dubs though.

Left the Vanish in the truck it almost made it.. Posted this elsewhere in one of Bradley Walker's threads about snap. Discing down was a key to first place today

Speaking of Tangents.. Threw the heck out of mine today for Sunday dubs. Played smart only a Tangent and two fairway drivers. My throw is in an instant transition I finally get the "clearing the cans off the bar" analogy. My short game snap is way cleaner and more of it. The body timing is way off.. I always thought the body was what lead more, well it does but you still need to load the elbow before the weight shift. Definitely discing down for a while.

It explains stuff in my throw that I've learned to do but couldn't quite figure out why or how. The snap comes from a different place then I thought. I have always lead with the elbow, I always tried to point it at the basket before. Now I still point it at the basket on release but I load it way better pointing it the other direction before I straighten it out. It's a weird little hop in direction but not a significant change yet, I tried not to get weird today with all the info I'm absorbing.. But it's already happening tried to throw a short putt/drive and connected accidentally blew past by 70'..

Almost got two short aces at 50m just throwing lasers all day. Clean, slow, audible snap. Someone said my form was better haha... if only they knew how jumbled my head is.

Probably added 30+ ft to my putts.. Individual results may vary..

I annihilated it with mids and fairway drivers.. I think I can get my heavy fresh Relay to working now too.. I'm boned on the distance drivers though. I firmly pledge at least a month of nothing faster than a fairway.

Last edited:
Took the Vanish along for the ride didn't throw it stuck to two fairways Relay and Switch, Comet and Tangent, two Envy's and a Spin. I'm sticking to discing down might add the Signal and Amp but I'm getting good results my forms back in shape. Won a tourney here 3 short courses -31 for 36 holes, only nine holes was singles.. Cleaning up my form big time.

Hmmm I don't care if it only me.. I love this thread! :)

Past the one month mark.. My form is cleaning up again and I'm finding more ways to use the discs I have. Got two Switches and two Relays hmm and two Signals.. Too many Envy's haha 10+ and one Spin, Tangent and Comet.

Lighting it up so far out here there's only a few holes for distance drivers anyway.. I'm coming up 30ft short of normal but my overall accuracy is better. There's one hole on the side of a nasty hill and I consistently get in good position for a three off my drive with the switch. Not great but preferable it's not a hole I hope to gain on.

How long can I hold out? Pretty happy with the Signal for the same accuracy reasons. I can get fun distance if I flip it right..

Disc down its awesome!

4 months in.. Sticking with fairways 95 percent of the time. I got 4 new ones to fill the void: Switch, Crave x2 and Resistor..

It's still working out usually I lose distance through the winter from lack of play and ugly teepads but not this year so far I'm keeping the same distance and definitely gaining with my putters. This might become a yearly strategy. It's probably time to give up on the all overmold silliness and toss the Comet back in.

Go BrotherDave!

@ThrowaEnvy Thanks for keeping this thread going!

I've been throwing Proxy only rounds lately and it's been helping me understand how wrong my instincts are when it comes to throwing a disc. I seriously shouldn't throw anything else for a while, but my ego comes in and wants to be a strong arming tough guy... :doh:

I parked a 315' hole with my Glide the other day and I just laughed (normally throw it about 275' max). It felt like such an odd throw, but I obviously have learned something.

@ThrowaEnvy Thanks for keeping this thread going!

I parked a 315' hole with my Glide the other day and I just laughed (normally throw it about 275' max). It felt like such an odd throw, but I obviously have learned something.

Nice man... I really liked the Glide that's a solid Disc... the Proxy is pretty sweet too. Good luck ironing out some of the wrinkles.

I've recently decided to disc down to help my game. I've already noticed that I'm scoring about the same while leaving most of my drivers at home. My bag only holds 8 discs so here is what I'm taking to the course:
XT Bullfrog , putting only
DX Condor
VIP Bard
Star Rat
Origio Harp
Origio Tursas
DX Teebird
Opto River
I know there is a lot of overlap for the OS mid slot, I'm comparing them and will only keep one or two once I disc back up. The DX Teebird is new and I will probably switch it out for my Champ Teebird once it's beaten in. Any suggestions for a "discing down" DGCR'er?