• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

As good as the FD may be, reading this makes my Leopard heart cry a little. Why would someone be sad to go back to the Leopard... It's like a first love!

I like Leopards, some of my longest throws ever are with my 150g champ. I get great finesse shots with them too, but the FD holds up better in the wind and still flies less stable than a TeeBird. I like the glide better too. It's just an amazing disc that suits my game better. Maybe I can beat a C-FD in to fly like a flat S-line, but I don't see that happening. Those C's are indestructable.

I've got a pretty beat C-FD (7/10) and it still doesn't fly like any S-line that I've thrown. It's laser beam straight with maybe -0.5 HSS and still has a nice, late forward penetrating fade. I get great distance on it and it powers down almost even better. It's definitely my workhorse driver right now.

I'd say it's almost unfair to call the C-lines FDs (well at least the flat ones) because they're really very different from their S-counterpart.

There are C-FD's that molded up domey like the SFDs. I have two, they're both white/clear. They still fly closer to the flat CFD's than the SFD.

i've been throwing the new QJLS's in a field along side my FDs(C/S). I really wish the FDs would move laterally more. I need a fairway driver I can "work" easier, not go straight and go straight really well...sounds weird i know. Sure i can put it on an anhyzer and the FD will work left to right...just wish these the FDs had a little more "play" laterally in them.

i've been throwing the new QJLS's in a field along side my FDs(C/S). I really wish the FDs would move laterally more. I need a fairway driver I can "work" easier, not go straight and go straight really well...sounds weird i know. Sure i can put it on an anhyzer and the FD will work left to right...just wish these the FDs had a little more "play" laterally in them.

Dear god NO! I love the laser straightness of the S-FD, also love that I can get a beefier C-FD that's not too beefy.

In all seriousness, have you toyed around with the 160ish P-PDs for this shot? I have a 168g gummy in P plastic that I use just for this shot since they power down so well.

Ya i have a beat PPD that is my turnover disc...it honestly goes to far. Maybe it isn't beat engouh to be thrown without enough power to move left to right consistently.

It's not a bad thing that the FDs go stragiht so well. I do have a mid 16x S-FD, but i have to release it around 7-8 o'clock hyzer angle to get 300 ft of distance out of it. Thats not what i'm looking for.

Really my dream is to find a disc in champ plastic that flies like a nicely worn pro leopard. I used to throw these all the time, and got tired of constantly cylcling them. And before anyone says get a champ Leo, the new champ leos are nothing like the old ones. we all know that. Sure i can play with it for half a year to get it there...then i lose it and i start all over.

Really my dream is to find a disc in champ plastic that flies like a nicely worn pro leopard. I used to throw these all the time, and got tired of constantly cylcling them. And before anyone says get a champ Leo, the new champ leos are nothing like the old ones. we all know that. Sure i can play with it for half a year to get it there...then i lose it and i start all over.

I feel your pain with the Leos. Before I discovered FDs, my goto FW driver was a glow champ Leo. I usually carried 3: 1 new champ, my glow and a pro Leo. My glow champ left me this past Thanksgiving day after nearly two years of use. That thing was beat into exactly how I want a Leo fly. I found my self stuck because i had zero back ups beat to the same point as my old one. The FD turned out to be a great replacement, I currently carry 3: 175g new C-FD , 173g newish burple S-FD and a worn burple 170g S-FD paired with a seasoned pro Leo. For O/S duties I can power down on my P-PD, C-PD or power up my hornet ( which I rarely do).

If you ever find anything that is in premium plastic that flies like a pro Leo, please let me know.

There are C-FD's that molded up domey like the SFDs. I have two, they're both white/clear. They still fly closer to the flat CFD's than the SFD.

Ya i have a couple of these earlier run or first run CFDs, almost identical to the domey and stable S's.

I do like the Flat C's tho, almost teebird like stability and fade unless in a gnar headwind

I have a perfectly worn 175 s line FD with a small dome and a fresh 175 c line FD with tall dome. Right now, they fly almost identically for me. CFD a touch less turn and a touch more fade. I love the domey CFD when it's slightly breezy and the SFD in the woods.

Last edited:
After much studying, I've decided that the C and S line FDs are not the exact same mold. The C must be tweaked. The C is concave in the wing, not convex like the S, and has much less of a notch near the core. I am about 92 percent sure of this.

I would love an S line that started with the same stability with the same lower profile. I don't know if this stiff champ plastic will ever beat in.

Its said to be between 1st and 2nd run fd`s
Sounds like it'll come out of the box flying like a beaten in 1st run, which is AWESOME! :thmbup:

I'm not familiar with the Jolly Launcher plastic. How does it compare to the current C-Line?

I had one in my hands at a shop here in MI. It was mid-dome and both me and my buddy commented on how soft and grippy it was.

I have 1st and 2nd runs, and it was nothing like either, had to be a new one.

Without having to go back and read 600+ posts, could someone please explain the difference in runs and how to identify? I picked up one based on a recommendation and it flew like what I wanted the Stag to be. It would be helpful to know what to look for in the future. Thanks in advance.