• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

I imagine Lat64 would have something to say about all that market cornering.

Can you imagine if Conrad's throw-in spit out like Ezra's near ace?

Or if McBeth's tap-in to force playoff bounced straight out like Joe Rovere's earlier?

Lat64 dodged a bit of a bullet from all the other storylines from World's, as it did not seem like their baskets performed well.

Lol, also... Green must be the very cheapest plastic, otherwise why use that color at all? :|

On one of Eagle's recent ITB videos he basically said green is the only color he refuses to put into his bag. :doh:

Was interesting he wore all black round 1 and logo-less.

I noticed that too! Discmania page still says he's on both teams, but he is not on Innova's website for any team. I'm assuming that he is not currently sponsored by either team since he's said he's not interested in playing Masters and hasn't toured in years.

I think his work relationship with Discmania largely revolves around creating courses with DiscGolfPark. So at this point in his life he seems to be more of an employee/contractor for DiscGolfPark and not a sponsored athlete.

Can you imagine if Conrad's throw-in spit out like Ezra's near ace?

Or if McBeth's tap-in to force playoff bounced straight out like Joe Rovere's earlier?

Lat64 dodged a bit of a bullet from all the other storylines from World's, as it did not seem like their baskets performed well.

Oh no....another travesty against humanity (well, at least a couple hundred of it), for the pros to take, the tournament organizers and the PDGA, to task on social media. :p

Could you imagine if they had to putt on some of the baskets we all see in our regular play?

Oh no....another travesty against humanity (well, at least a couple hundred of it), for the pros to take, the tournament organizers and the PDGA, to task on social media. :p

Could you imagine if they had to putt on some of the baskets we all see in our regular play?

It's more about it just being frustrating to watch. I think all of us understand that baskets aren't perfect and there will be spit-outs, but I think it's pretty fair to point out substandard equipment.

It's more about it just being frustrating to watch. I think all of us understand that baskets aren't perfect and there will be spit-outs, but I think it's pretty fair to point out substandard equipment.

Chicken or the egg, brother. Is is substandard equipment or substandard putting.

I putt on Chainstars all the time. Nasty center pole spit outs....I use a slower, nose up putt on these courses. Whining about the equipment does not change the score. Studying baskets, to learn each sweet spot and weak spots, then adapting your putt to the equipment, seems like a part of a professional skillset. We don't have different kinds of grass on our greens, undulations and pitch don't have much impact on our putting, our greens don't really have much in terms of speed. Differing basket types and their unique properties are one of the few variable that disc golf putting has. I rather enjoy the challenge of it.

On one of Eagle's recent ITB videos he basically said green is the only color he refuses to put into his bag. :doh:

You know, I'm always surprised how many discs pros lose. You'd think they'd be 1) hitting fairways and 2) way experienced at watching and tracking discs. Perhaps it's just a numbers game, and they throw so much more plastic.

Regarding the baskets—I thought they sucked.

It's not about whining. Everyone plays the same basket, so it's all equal from that standpoint.

What it is about is that was a 5 day exhibition of how those baskets perform. I can't imagine anyone watching that and planning a new installation choosing the Lat 64 baskets after seeing this event.

JMO.

It's not about whining. Everyone plays the same basket, so it's all equal from that standpoint.

What it is about is that was a 5 day exhibition of how those baskets perform. I can't imagine anyone watching that and planning a new installation choosing the Lat 64 baskets after seeing this event.

JMO.

Especially Emerson (on video, anyway).

Chicken or the egg, brother. Is is substandard equipment or substandard putting.

I putt on Chainstars all the time. Nasty center pole spit outs....I use a slower, nose up putt on these courses. Whining about the equipment does not change the score. Studying baskets, to learn each sweet spot and weak spots, then adapting your putt to the equipment, seems like a part of a professional skillset. We don't have different kinds of grass on our greens, undulations and pitch don't have much impact on our putting, our greens don't really have much in terms of speed. Differing basket types and their unique properties are one of the few variable that disc golf putting has. I rather enjoy the challenge of it.

The problem with a nose up putt on some of these newer baskets, is that it will sometimes hang on a chain link for a split second as the chains are rebounding pushing the disc over the rim. Then its just luck whether it falls in or flips out.

I've seen this once in a blue moon on Discatchers in the past but it really seems to happen on the Veterans, MachX and Prodigy baskets. Not sure if they are using thicker links, or if its the chain patterns but I definitely noticed it happening more often before my injury.

A nose down push putt inside 10-15ft is my preferred method of dealing with this.

The problem with a nose up putt on some of these newer baskets, is that it will sometimes hang on a chain link for a split second as the chains are rebounding pushing the disc over the rim. Then its just luck whether it falls in or flips out.

I've seen this once in a blue moon on Discatchers in the past but it really seems to happen on the Veterans, MachX and Prodigy baskets. Not sure if they are using thicker links, or if its the chain patterns but I definitely noticed it happening more often before my injury.

A nose down push putt inside 10-15ft is my preferred method of dealing with this.

You are right on. Toboggan has new Chainstar Pro's. Those are beasts, big heavy chains. My lame nose up, soft putt is laughed at by those baskets. So, when playing those, I have to make note and put some mustard on my putts.

Every basket has a weak spot and every time a pro spits out, the basket is to blame. The baskets are approved and they all catch GREAT. Learn the baskets and adapt. I am worn out with the whining from the pro levels of our sport. Next.....wind, how dare the PDGA and tournament volunteers allow winds over 10 MPH. Don't they know how that impacts the flight of a 500 ft throw?

I mean this is definitely true in from a practical standpoint, but it is just a bad look. I am not saying all baskets have to be the same, but a good putt center chains should not bounce directly back. Maybe that is just the nature of chains and spit backs are unavoidable. But it should not be something people just accept and i hope continued design refinements can reduce it to near zero chance of happening.

I mean this is definitely true in from a practical standpoint, but it is just a bad look. I am not saying all baskets have to be the same, but a good putt center chains should not bounce directly back. Maybe that is just the nature of chains and spit backs are unavoidable. But it should not be something people just accept and i hope continued design refinements can reduce it to near zero chance of happening.

It would be interesting if someone did a study on the chain layouts and how this effects putting. Is it just bad luck that your entry angle just happens to be right between two chains and your putter rim can get to the pole to make it bounce out. Is it a disc speed/entry angle combination?...

JMO.

I understand the sentimentality you have there and acknowledge that adjustments to putting styles can be made. However, my 501(c)3 just applied for a grant for new baskets and TXMex is right, there is no way I would install these Lat64 baskets if approved. I believe the Discatchers have set a nice standard and I would like to meet or exceed that standard with the upgrades. I don't see any reason to settle for substandard devices when there is a choice to be made.

You know, I'm always surprised how many discs pros lose. You'd think they'd be 1) hitting fairways and 2) way experienced at watching and tracking discs. Perhaps it's just a numbers game, and they throw so much more plastic.

I'd have to think it's a combination of throwing tons of discs on every hole in practice and throwing so far the search radius is too large to dedicate enough time to finding every disc. Not to mention having access to hundreds of free discs, prob makes it easier to stomach losing them here and there.

The only pro I saw throwing a casual round was Scott Stokely and from the holes we could see him on he tried insane lines and threw plastic all over that park. Guys who were with him said that he made zero attempt to track and find the disc if he missed the line. He was throwing so far that some of the discs seemed like they would be impossible to find anyway. The combination of the really aggressive lines and the distances he was throwing had him chucking plastic into places I'm sure a golf disc had never been before.

I'm sure every pro is different, but based off of the stories I heard from that day Scott Stokely may have lost more plastic in that round than I did that decade.

Just throw some Innova Travellers up. Hit the chastity belt? No problem, it'll compress and drop your disc right in. Hit the rim? Again, it'll compress and your disc will flop right over the edge and in.

Cant even really remember when I last lost a disc. If I do, nowadays I'll search for like a minute, and oh well, theres more at home and I didnt pay money for that one either, it'll come back if it is to be.

I bet you lose disc more often if you threw as far as Eagle. Can't say I blame him for not bagging green.

I'm not surprised.....yes, they have a better chance of knowing where it went, but where it ended up? Not any better than non-pros.

Pro: I saw my disc go into the woods right here. Where is it?
Other cardmates: Maybe it took a bad bounce or rolled.
or....there's so many leaves here....it could be under the leaves somewhere.
or...did it even come down from the trees?

How many times have you looked for a disc and another player found it exactly where you looked for it? Happens to the pros also. It's easy to overlook a disc...colors blend in or the angle of the disc can make it hard to see.

Also, I think pros are more sticklers for the rules on how long they have to search. And do they want to break up their flow?

And practice rounds? They throw so many discs from one spot, it's easy to forget where a disc went.