• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

I'm still confused. If eMac had decided to stay with Discraft, would this thread exist? Does this all come down to "they should have bucked up to keep Eric McCabe" or what? What EXACTLY the Hell is Discraft supposed to be doing that they are not?

Also to mention "you" are very ignorant if you really think top level pros dont help companies succeed as if Ken Climo didn't help innova sell Rocs, Aviars, and Teebirds (let alone 10 other molds) .......... And hes just ONE of their players historically who you can hold responsible for popularity of those discs.
Lol...When the KC Pro discs came out, I spent hours and hours listening to people ask "Who the Hell is Ken Kleem-o?" The KC Pro discs did a Hell of a lot more to promote Climo than the other way around.

Lol...When the KC Pro discs came out, I spent hours and hours listening to people ask "Who the Hell is Ken Kleem-o?" The KC Pro discs did a Hell of a lot more to promote Climo than the other way around.

I am talking about the MOLDS not player endorsed products.

he won many tournaments let alone the world championships with those discs, period. You don't think players took notice to that and still do?!

Would you say Nike isn't any more popular thanks to Jordan?

Last edited:
I am talking about the MOLDS not player endorsed products.

he won 12 championships with those discs, period.
We were on 7X before the KC Pro discs came out. He won his eighth before the KC Pro Roc came out. He won his ninth before the KC Pro Aviar came out. Roc and Aviars were best sellers for years with disc golfers who never heard of Ken Climo and had no idea there was any such thing as a Disc Golf World Championship.

I have no idea what your or my point is. :|

MVP has put out discs at a almost prolific rate lately compared to some of the smaller companies who have been around as long and can't say any of them are junk at all lol.. They will have put out 5 discs by the end of the next month between TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES and pretty sure Latitude 64 is doing the same. Latitude has been doing this actually since they really got a leg up in USA market and its done nothing but pay off for them.

All of this is true, but ignores the fact that these companies don't have an already fully stocked lineup. I like the fact that Discraft releases discs if they fill a legit hole in their lineup instead of releasing several similar but overlapping discs to drive sales. Look at what Innova has done in the last 3 years. You can't tell me that we need the Tern, Mamba, and Daedelus. You can't tell me that we weren't getting along just fine without the "3" series molds. MVP is releasing discs under the Axiom name that were what I thought the Servo and Switch would be right out of the box, and I'm starting to get fed up with a better version of whatever disc showing up after I've dropped coin on the original.

Out of all the companies out there I could see myself going all Discraft easier than any other. I love MVP discs, but I'm not big on their putters, so I wouldn't go MVP for a single brand bag. I like Innova fairway drivers, but I can find replacements with Discraft. There are two discs in my bag that I don't think I can replace, and those are the Buzzz and Comet, and that's what I comes down to for me.

I'm still confused. If eMac had decided to stay with Discraft, would this thread exist? Does this all come down to "they should have bucked up to keep Eric McCabe" or what? What EXACTLY the Hell is Discraft supposed to be doing that they are not?

I don't see what they could have offered him to make him stay honestly. It wouldn't make sense for them to do that anyway from a business standpoint. He's a good ambassador and would've helped sell discs but it would've taken a lot to keep him sponsored by them and not DD I think.

I think some people, maybe the OP, expected Discraft to do with Nate Doss what Innova has done with McBeth. That's just not really smart for them though. Nate is not playing every weekend at the big events and taking a win almost 75% of the time. McBeth is making money for Innova and from what I hear he's doing alright for himself too. It makes sense. For Discraft I think it makes sense for them to focus on what is successful. I just think stamping a few molds with new stamps is a little less than they could be doing but hey it's their company. They can release what they want and what will sell.

Would you say Nike isn't any more popular thanks to Jordan?
That is hard to say since Nike was HUGE before Jordan. The Jordan tie-in helped them stay on top, so it certainly would have hurt them if he would have worn Converse or Adidas. Would a Jordan endorsement of Converse pushed that company into the dominant apparel of the 90's. Doubtful. Signing Jordan was the act of a successful company continuing to do the things that made it successful in the first place.

Again, I think Jordan gained a lot more from being plugged into the media-hype advertising machine that was/is Nike than the other way around. Nike would have made someone else a star if Jordan had gone elsewhere.

I like the fact that Discraft releases discs if they fill a legit hole in their lineup instead of releasing several similar but overlapping discs to drive sales. Look at what Innova has done in the last 3 years. You can't tell me that we need the Tern, Mamba, .

That's just how you or I see it though. Maybe we don't need a tern or mamba but can tell you many players do and you cant get either of those discs from DC. the SS products are a joke trying to sell different models based off popular names lol. Yeah filling the "holes" with the BuzzzSS :doh:

There is a reason why innova kicks ass and takes names when it comes to retail sales and market presence. Hell they have put out 2 overmolded discs in the recent past with success so that should tell you a littttttttle something about the current market we are in vs even 5 years ago.

And, contrary to forum belief, MVP isn't so eye catching that a casual player will drop everything to throw them. And again: if they can't find them, why buy thrm?
I'm going to have to argue with you based on my own experiences Andy. The black rim surrounding a different color of plastic seems to be pretty eye catching, and I get more questions and comments on my MVP stuff than I do anything else in my bag. I get occasional compliments on my dye jobs on other discs, but I never end up in conversations about the discs themselves the way I seem to when one disc wonders see me pull an MVP out of the bag.

That's just how you or I see it though. Maybe we don't need a tern or mamba but can tell you many players do and you cant get either of those discs from DC. the SS products are a joke trying to sell different models based off popular names lol. Yeah filling the "holes" with the BuzzzSS :doh:
I'll give you that the whole Nuke OS, Nuke, Nuke SS thing is a little odd, but it does give a Discraft player some idea of what he's buying, so that cuts both ways. I would be more on board with that particular naming convention if they substituted US for SS, but oh well...

Last edited:
KC using Innova discs for all those wins and not discraft was probably good for Innova, No?
In theory it couldn't hurt. How much of an effect it really had on sales is debatable. Innova was way out in front as the #1 name in disc golf before Climo won a Championship. Having him as a spokesman helped keep them there I'm sure, but that was not why they were there in the first place.

Certainly when Ron Russell won World's, I did not see a run on Discraft sales. I did see a spike in Discraft sales when Scott Stokely broke the distance record with an XL. His name was not on the XL, but word got around. Everybody wants to throw far. Win a World Championship? Not so much. :|

I watched something on netflix recently about that era. Maybe it was the Bo Jackson thing ESPN did but they made a pretty good argument that the Bo Knows campaign actually had a lot to do with getting Nike out there as the main name in apparel and shoes but the Jordan endorsement certainly solidified Nike as being the basketball shoe above all else. After that every college and NBA team was dropping Reebok, Adidas, and Converse to get on board with Nike.

"All they do is send some discs to a few heavy forum users and count on them to gush about how fantastic the discs are and/or post vids of themselves repeatedly throwing massive hyzer shots on wide open courses."

"That's it? That's their entire marketing strategy, MikeC and guys who sell their discs on Facebook?"

You. DanJon

"Shirtless dudes?"

I just don't see the point dragging him into the discussion. If you have a problem with the OP then debate him and use his shortcomings or lack of info to back his claims. To pull someone else who hasn't even posted in the thread and talk about him and his videos without putting yourself out there for criticism I find a little bit weak. That's all.

Wow. It was a joke.

Get some thicker skin.

In theory it couldn't hurt. How much of an effect it really had on sales is debatable. Innova was way out in front as the #1 name in disc golf before Climo won a Championship. Having him as a spokesman helped keep them there I'm sure, but that was not why they were there in the first place.

Certainly when Ron Russell won World's, I did not see a run on Discraft sales. I did see a spike in Discraft sales when Scott Stokely broke the distance record with an XL. His name was not on the XL, but word got around. Everybody wants to throw far. Win a World Championship? Not so much. :|

Right-- I think you are touching on the ideas I am getting at in the OP with the part regarding the world record being set. That is the kind of "stuff" that doesn't cost anything for the most part but gets a brand out there. Similar to KC winning championships even if a player isn't going to be pro level they still want the stuff the "best" use. That goes for anything from musicians to swimmers, racers, gardeners, chefs or whoever doing whatever it is hoping to get consistent and good results.

You've been asked a couple times, Aim. What is it that you want Discraft to do?

Also I love it when people type in all caps.

I picture them sitting in front of their computer or smart phone yelling at it.