• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

Not from my 6 years of TD work. Tried DC twice and the stamp image was low quality both times.

I know the discussion has moved on, but reading through to catch up I felt I should echo this. It's not the main nugget of anything that pertinent to the why discussion going on. (I feel that DC has taken its eye off of brand marketing opportunities as many have been talking about)

Yet it does seem that consistency and clarity of event hotstamp quality control is lesser than other manufacturers. We'd suspected it for a while over a course of several years.

Locally, we ran hotstamp orders with both DC and INV, an event with the identical files - the hotstamp control process was lesser with DC. INV was super crisp, DC was far more likely to have blow out areas, loss of detail and widest variation. We had presumed that this would be our findings, and it turned out to be finally validated in this side to side test.

As an often stamp designer I now like to know who's stamping before it gets designed. We can and do still work with DC orders, I just have to dial back on fine detail and keep it noncomplex. (KISS concept)

^^ (Zombee) It was worthy of a glow run and a Big Z run, so it must sell well.

The Zombee is one of the best discs in the game that doesn't have the letters "M" "V" or "P" stamped on it. :D

The Zombee is one of the best discs in the game that doesn't have the letters "M" "V" or "P" stamped on it. :D

Meh, Leopard beats it everyday.

You know, I threw a Crave yesterday, it was cool.

You know, I threw a Crave yesterday, it was cool.

Nice! :clap:

As for a Zombee / Leo comparison, I don't quite see it. I think the Zombee can excell at both midrange and driving duties, while the Leo is a bit more understable (and longer) and really meant for fairway action. But, both are great discs in their own right.

I know the discussion has moved on, but reading through to catch up I felt I should echo this. It's not the main nugget of anything that pertinent to the why discussion going on. (I feel that DC has taken its eye off of brand marketing opportunities as many have been talking about)

Yet it does seem that consistency and clarity of event hotstamp quality control is lesser than other manufacturers. We'd suspected it for a while over a course of several years.

Locally, we ran hotstamp orders with both DC and INV, an event with the identical files - the hotstamp control process was lesser with DC. INV was super crisp, DC was far more likely to have blow out areas, loss of detail and widest variation. We had presumed that this would be our findings, and it turned out to be finally validated in this side to side test.

As an often stamp designer I now like to know who's stamping before it gets designed. We can and do still work with DC orders, I just have to dial back on fine detail and keep it noncomplex. (KISS concept)

Appreciate the detailed insight. The discussion hasn't moved on at all really and its all applicable here.

Different strokes and folks and all that. I've used both and prefer the Zombee. Great touch flick disc for laser beam shots.

Fair enough, oddly that one local I know with one does the same thing with it.

Nice! :clap:

As for a Zombee / Leo comparison, I don't quite see it. I think the Zombee can excell at both midrange and driving duties, while the Leo is a bit more understable and really meant for fairway action. But, both are great discs in their own right.

Yeah, I think it was a heavier one but still was able to laser beam it in some mild headwind.

I just prefer a driver to be a driver. I'm not big on tweener style discs I guess.

Anyone know how many OOP discs discraft has? Innova and DC alone have more OOP discs than most of the new companies have current models lol.

How many new molds are needed? Actually, how many molds are needed overall? There has to be a saturation point, even if only short term, in the market. Physically, in practical terms there is a limit, as well; sure there could be almost infinite variation by just adjusting various specs in 0.0001 mm increments :rolleyes:, but that is hardly practical.

So, having a Buzzz, how much can you improve it, and how can you do anything similar better? When you are at the top, then what? Like others have said, promotion and such, but in today's world, it seems everybody wants new, and the want it constantly. That is kinda hard to measure up with, and every disc manufacturer is gonna stumble, and maybe fall, on it eventually.... <shrug> :(

Agree with this. Perhaps the ADD, video game, need the latest, greatest generation needs a mold a minute, but I have trouble pushing my dinosaur Comet out of my bag with any mold a minute copy. I crack up watching the people at work changing phones every two months to stay on the edge of cutting technology. Same kind of thing in my book. :\

Funny that this came up today. I'm back in my hometown. And playing my old course, Blue Mountain, and all I saw today (and there were a ton of people out) were Innova, Disc raft and more than one Lightning Rubber Putter. The group in front of us had a guy who only carried two discs: Zone and a Breeze. My best friend (who throws all DX/Pro-D plastic) even said he's thinking about switching to ALL disc raft because he prefers his Crush to his Wraith and his JK Aviar is getting too beat up.

And we have a really nice disc shop in town. When I went in yesterday to check out the Inspire, Motion and Scythe, all I saw were people going through the Innova and Disc raft sections
A lot of people were asking me about MVP when they saw me over there. The owner even came up and tried to give me a hard sell on Vibram and Lat until I told him I throw the Volt and Envy and some Trilogy.

So around here, Disc raft is doing just fine. And my hometown is loaded with discers.

I do get tired of getting overloaded with the Buzzz-train. They ride that constantly....new release of the same mold every few months.......But I love the ACE RACE events, and having a new disc every year is cool. But I agree

Outside of DGCR and the little insulated bubble it provides to some of you....

Nukes and Buzzz's still sell like hot cakes while you debate what Innova/Discraft disc the newest MVP or Trilogy disc flies like.

Outside of DGCR and the little insulated bubble it provides to some of you....

Nukes and Buzzz's still sell like hot cakes while you debate what Innova/Discraft disc the newest MVP or Trilogy disc flies like.

^That's not even what the thread is about.
Perhaps not. But all too often, we get a little too full of ourselves around here and forget there's a healthy living breathing DG world that doesn't know that this place exists. I'm sure quite a few folks in that world are buying Discraft molds in spite of whatever perceived lack of promotion the DGCR illuminati thinks is going on.

The thread didn't come from DGCR but rather one of their former team members who had over 10 years of history with them and who's name is all over their championship page......

When top level pro's have this kind of perception about a former company who they worked hard to support then it would seem to me there is a problem deeper than just moving product. You cant just expect to be #2 b/c its always been that way and its a losing business strategy. It took them a good year to respond to the TI plastic coloring issues which was so dumb to begin with-- LATITUDE 64 HAS BEEN MAKING SEXY METALLIC DISCS FROM DAY ONE :doh: But lets put out some fall colors and cool camouflage :| --- this is just one example let along with most of their past Ace Race discs SUCK.

The Greater Cincinnati area has 100-200 serious golfers, I bet maybe 10-20 are active on here. DGCR is a great resource but it's just a small sample of active players.

Latest posts