• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

The Greater Cincinnati area has 100-200 serious golfers, I bet maybe 10-20 are active on here. DGCR is a great resource but it's just a small sample of active players.

True but also DGCR is generally "ahead" of the masses-- from new discs to issues or news'

I threw latitude long before there was a trilogy of anything, hell hardly had 3 different discs in each class at that time and I was razed on here for always promoting their discs....... now look at the "little" lat. 64 :thmbup:

meteor, cyclone, drone>>>>Y

Ok well name one ace race disc in the past few years which you find in the bag like a comet or buzzz?

•2003: Breeze
•2004: Glide
•2005: Slipstream
•2006: Meteor
•2007: Impact
•2008: Nebula
•2009: Focus
•2010: Hornet
•2011: Zeppelin
•2012: Zombee
•2013: Mantis
•2014: ???

Man I want a bag full of those molds :|

So if AIM doesn't bag a disc, it SUCKS?

No, those discs are superstars, but it doesn't mean that they are poorly designed molds.

The thread didn't come from DGCR but rather one of their former team members who had over 10 years of history with them and who's name is all over their championship page......
This thread most certainly did come from DGCR. A DGCR member, namely you, started it. For all we know, Emac doesn't even know this discussion exists.

When top level pro's have this kind of perception about a former company who they worked hard to support then it would seem to me there is a problem deeper than just moving product.
Perception is just that, perception. Nate Doss probably has his own perception about Discraft and we haven't heard it yet. Its been pretty well documented that touring pros really don't help established companies move plastic, and that such players are a lot more valuable asset to the upstarts.

True but also DGCR is generally "ahead" of the masses-- from new discs to issues or news'
Again that's a perception. A perception too many people who spend way too much time on here and on the internet in general, have. I have plenty of non-internet guys at my league who are in the know on the latest trends and molds, because they actually go out and meet other players. Genius!

People who were on the PDGA boards about six or seven years ago had that "we are omnipotent and know everything" attitude and well, look where they are now. Stuck with a dead message board and an antiquated course directory. Those kind of folks need to get off the damned computer and go have a hot beverage*.

* Hot beverage possibly not safe for work. :p

The thread didn't come from DGCR but rather one of their former team members who had over 10 years of history with them and who's name is all over their championship page......

When top level pro's have this kind of perception about a former company who they worked hard to support then it would seem to me there is a problem deeper than just moving product. You cant just expect to be #2 b/c its always been that way and its a losing business strategy. It took them a good year to respond to the TI plastic coloring issues which was so dumb to begin with-- LATITUDE 64 HAS BEEN MAKING SEXY METALLIC DISCS FROM DAY ONE :doh: But lets put out some fall colors and cool camouflage :| --- this is just one example let along with most of their past Ace Race discs SUCK.
The thread came from a pro player who Dcraft let walk. I'm sure he thought that after winning World's that Dcraft should have done more for him. Dcraft obviously thought that it couldn't afford to do that.

The Greater Cincinnati area has 100-200 serious golfers, I bet maybe 10-20 are active on here. DGCR is a great resource but it's just a small sample of active players.

So what?

Sure, DGCR is full of dedicated disc golfers who follow the game in a way most players don't. So since I follow the game and watch how it's progressing not only as a sport but as a business, my opinion is less valuable. That's crazy.

There's a decent contingent of people here who would have us believe that nothing is changing in the business of disc golf, Discraft's doing just as fine as always, and the huge proliferation of companies and discs is irrelevant. Seriously, that is nuts. The business of disc golf is changing rapidly, and Discraft needs to change and respond to this new environment. Period. I'm going to go as far as to say that's not an opinion: it is pretty clearly what's going on.

You know what this thread really demonstrates about DGCR? That everybody wants to have lame threads about "growing the sport" but nobody wants to talk about what is actually happening that is changing the sport from the business side.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who is a dedicated thrower of three Discraft molds. They make up a core of my bag, and I have no intention of taking them out, ever. But that has absolutely nothing to do with my observation that Discraft really needs to step it up to stay competitive. They do, and I want them to do it.

Look at it this way. Let's take AOL for example. They were once king. They were the ISP, and movies (You've Got Mail) were even made using their iconic brand. But the world changed out from under them, and they are now irrelevant compared to the likes of Google and Facebook. I read an article recently about how instant messaging was their greatest invention, but they didn't get that and focused on building parts of their brand that ended up becoming obsolete, because the game changed and they didn't change along with it. Google comes along and provides a search engine that makes the "home screen" obsolete, and Facebook takes messaging and makes a gazillion dollar business out of it.

But but but! There are still grannies in the middle of nowhere paying for AOL! So that must mean that their service is still alive and kicking right?

Just because people bag Buzzzes and continue to does not mean that their business model doesn't need a shot in the arm. The market is competitive: there is limited space, and if Discraft doesn't capture that space, someone else will. And there are more candidates than ever for that.

Disc golf is changing. Discraft needs to change with it, or they'll find their market share shrinking. It's no longer Buzzz v Roc. It's Buzzz v Roc, Roc3, Truth, Axis, Ghost, Alias, M4. All popular molds, and all competing against the Buzzz. The Buzzz is the best says me, but that doesn't matter because the trick is to get the newb who's never played before to pick up a Buzzz when it's sitting right next to the shiny new M4 or Truth on the shelves. And yes, I see that all the time in my local shop which carries almost as much MVP now as they do Discraft, and maybe even more. That's the reality I'm talking about.

ps Jay Dub that wasn't a response solely to you. I just used your comment as a jumping off point.

It's all personal preference really. I don't necessarily agree with the notion that they need to 'step their game back up', but I do think to myself: when was the last time I really wanted a new Discraft release? I rate the Buzzz, Hornet and Force (as well as having enjoyed one ESP Crush not long after I started playing) but I've not had anything other than those three molds since.

Yeah if that was the case I would have posted in the OP that in the past few months I have sold over 100 MVP discs and many of these players are slowing throwing more and more of these discs WHILE REPLACING THEIR INNOVA AND DC MOLDS.... Most of them are gone within days of released lol. The best part is that SO MANY players have never even THROWN a MVP, Legacy, Prodigy, Vibram disc in their life--- but lots of new players do and are.

Between MVP and Legacy alone there are a lot of the "historic go-to" discs whos days are numbered.

Ok well name one ace race disc in the past few years which you find in the bag like a comet or buzzz?

•2003: Breeze
•2004: Glide
•2005: Slipstream
•2006: Meteor
•2007: Impact
•2008: Nebula
•2009: Focus
•2010: Hornet
•2011: Zeppelin
•2012: Zombee
•2013: Mantis
•2014: ???

Man I want a bag full of those molds :|

It's certainly not an all star list but the focus I think is the best putter they make and both the impact and glide are good molds just very undervalued by players. The meteor is probably their best mid in my opinion although I do respect the consistency and awesomeness of the buzzz.

Discraft needs to change with it, or they'll find their market share shrinking. It's no longer Buzzz v Roc. It's Buzzz v Roc, Roc3, Truth, Axis, Ghost, Alias, M4. All popular molds, and all competing against the Buzzz.
I'll bet you there are snotloads of players who don't know any of those discs beyond the Buzzz or Roc, (possibly including the Roc3), because they don't do internet, and they don't have a dedicated disc golf store where they live, but there's a Dick's, Academy, Wallyworld or possibly a gas station in town.

Minus a few old school Millennium molds I've seen at Academy, I have yet to see a general merchandise retailer that sold anything outside of the big two. I know we cool kids don't shop those places, but a lot of new players who aren't in the know do. As long as they have that presence to themselves, the big two could care less what we message board know it all's think.

That being said, I can definitely see some Trilogy presence coming to those venues soon. That might get Discraft's attention.

I threw latitude long before there was a trilogy of anything, hell hardly had 3 different discs in each class at that time and I was razed on here for always promoting their discs....... now look at the "little" lat. 64 :thmbup:

Things like that are regional imo. Where you live and play it might be that way but around here the more knowledgeable golfers are not on DGCR but they are up on all the latest plastic and manufactures.

FWIW, most of the serious players I know only come to DGCR for course reviews and the marketplace. They rarely read let alone post in the main forums due to the endless bickering and self-proclaimed experts.