• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

I don't know the history as to why they used this system instead of the one Innova is famous for but it definitely was not easier to understand once you learned how discs fly and were trying to buy something to fit a specific shot shape.

I am aware of what the older system stood for. The key here is in your last paragraph. Specifically "once you learned how discs fly".

I specifically stated that I dislike the four number system for new players. I used to work at a PIAS with a great selection of discs. The new players in there would undoubtedly have a very hard time understanding things like understability and overstability. One number is all a new player needs. I am honestly of the mind that most of the numbers on the flight rating system are functions of each other in the end.

This is all ignoring the fact that the four number system really only describes one kind of throw at one type of power. It's completely useless for someone who has never even been taught how to throw.

This is all ignoring the fact that the four number system really only describes one kind of throw at one type of power. It's completely useless for someone who has never even been taught how to throw.

The old discraft system also assumes flat release at optimal power for the disc.

The thing no manufacturer has ever accomplished is a detailed description of a discs various possible flight paths. Disc Golf retailers have been filling that hole the whole time.

And the 4 number system doesn't? One number, four numbers, etc. They're all arbitrary.

I never claimed it didn't. I just said that for players that understand how we typically describe a discs flight that the 4 number systems offers more detail.

Discraft apparently agrees, they've started implementing it now as well. They could have revised the old system or come up with something completely new.

When your a newb, all the systems suck. Period.

Except that they don't make ESP Wasps:wall:

or ESP Bangers, ESP Hornets, ESP Glides. . . . etc:doh:

With the success of Ledgestone they seem to be releasing some mold/plastic combos that used to be hard to find. They did a full run of ESP Wasps as I snagged one of those myself. They also finally did the Glow Z Zones which was a nice release. Maybe they are coming around to offering them in some desired combos where as in the past they didnt?

^^^ Well they've definitely upped the ESP production in the last 2 years. The majority of molds are production run now (and I hear some more putters are going full ESP next year).

Why aren't Z-FLX GT Buzzzes a production run? I don't know...Why can't you get a Shark3 in Star or a Dagger in Goldline?
And I'd wager production run ESP Wasps are on their way, but honestly I don't really care. If I was a beaded midrange thrower I'd be throwing Rocs and Comets. The Buzzz family is available in everything, and so are their most popular molds. Product wise Discraft is on point.

I never really liked the single number system. In theory, you wouldn't think there's much difference between 1.6 and 1.8. As a new player, you might expect a 1.8 Crush to fly similar to a 1.6 Surge SS. According to flightanalyzer (first source I went to for easy reference, there is probably a better source out there) a Surge SS is 10/5/-1/2 and a Crush is 11/5/0/4. A Nuke is also a 1.6 or 13/4/-1/3. Not sure a slower Surge SS has the same stability as a high speed Nuke. Especially if you're a beginner.

I actually think their older one number system was much better for new players. I was actually pretty disappointed when they and MVP both adopted the four number system.
honestly i'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. It was a bit confusing to me.

Anyone know what the blend was in the Ace Race disc this year, it was listed as ESP but felt like a SoftX/ESP blend.

Would be nice to see some molds (putters and mids) in that plastic. For me the grip and feel is some of the best I've ever come across.

I actually think their older one number system was much better for new players. I was actually pretty disappointed when they and MVP both adopted the four number system.

I'll keep harping on this (or should I say ZONE-ing?). The one number system could have worked if and only if they added speed. Give a 200' arm a Nuke SS and it's a +2.0. A 400' and it's -2.0. If they'd have added speed to stability 5 or 10 years ago, I think they could leave it now. But since they're changing in an era when every brand uses the four numbers, there's really no alternative.

I never really liked the single number system. In theory, you wouldn't think there's much difference between 1.6 and 1.8. As a new player, you might expect a 1.8 Crush to fly similar to a 1.6 Surge SS. According to flightanalyzer (first source I went to for easy reference, there is probably a better source out there) a Surge SS is 10/5/-1/2 and a Crush is 11/5/0/4. A Nuke is also a 1.6 or 13/4/-1/3. Not sure a slower Surge SS has the same stability as a high speed Nuke. Especially if you're a beginner.

my nuke turns over on a flat release forehand, it's a ti nuke 174 gram, its flippy if you beat the crap out of it.

On the banger front. They are making a small run of ESP ones for me in the near future with my signature on them. Hoping for them to be available by Thanksgiving time. Maybe 500 will be made in this batch with 100 going to me and the rest will be on their factory store. Believe they will have the bar stamp with my signature. So you can either get some thru me when I get them or from them. Hoping this is a test batch and we can get them to do more runs in the future if they sell well

Thanks for the heads up!!! you have no idea how excited I am to see bangers in ESP. This is why MJ is my favorite.

Anyone know what the blend was in the Ace Race disc this year, it was listed as ESP but felt like a SoftX/ESP blend.

Would be nice to see some molds (putters and mids) in that plastic. For me the grip and feel is some of the best I've ever come across.

I haven't felt the latest ARs, but have you bought any of the ESP swirls from last year or the 2018 ESP? It's really grippy. Challengers and most of their mids are being run in it.

I haven't felt the latest ARs, but have you bought any of the ESP swirls from last year or the 2018 ESP? It's really grippy. Challengers and most of their mids are being run in it.

I have a 2018 Heat in esp and it is nicer than some of the older ESPs I have, bought one of the MJ Glo ESP Comets and that's a little slicker than the older ones. The AR blend while being a better grip doesn't seem to have the durability of the newer ESP.

I haven't held any of the new swirl ones, I'll have to hit up the local Discraft rep and see if I can get one, always room for another Comet in the practice bag.

If your a beginner i dont think you should be throwing a surge, crush, or a nuke....

Latest posts