• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Plastics

Hammer1248

Hey everyone I was wondering how the Discraft plastics are different compared to flight stability like OS vs under-stable. I really cant find any info on how Big Z is different from regular Z. Ive held it but I havent been able to throw it yet. How does Big Z, Ti and ESP affect the stability vs just regular Z?

Thank you for the responses:thmbup:!

Big Z can mold up to be more OS than Z. Dome and PLH matter more. From what I have seen, Big Z tends to have more dome.
Some discs fly more stable with dome(Heat), some less stable.

ESP can mold up more or less stable than Z, according to the disc and run, but, yes, usually less stable.

I would also flip Jawbreaker to being less stable than X.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that multiple people say Z and Big Z fly different. I'm by no means a Discraft expert, but I thought they were the same plastic just with different stamps. Apparently not?

playing 12 years and not knowing this
Innova fanboy. Came to my senses last year after trying a Buzzz and found they all fly pretty similar versus sharks. I started playing DG as a kid and school has occupied most of my time. So yeah go ahead and judge people based off of your superior knowledge of a minor sport. How old are you? And you treat people in the world as if you have superiority to them? Dude learn to grow as a person instead of make useless comments on a forum. I came here for help and not a troll. Be a productive member of society or go back to your rock.

Innova fanboy. Came to my senses last year after trying a Buzzz and found they all fly pretty similar versus sharks. I started playing DG as a kid and school has occupied most of my time. So yeah go ahead and judge people based off of your superior knowledge of a minor sport. How old are you? And you treat people in the world as if you have superiority to them? Dude learn to grow as a person instead of make useless comments on a forum. I came here for help and not a troll. Be a productive member of society or go back to your rock.

Wow! I threw Discraft for years, they have such a plethora of plastics I can't keep track of them. I also don't know all the tri plastics, and although I have a feel for the Innova plastics they have some specialty plastics I don't know either. Oh, I've been playing for over twenty years. Oh yeah, I don't know all of the discs that the big three have either, but I still fondly remember the Wildcat, the MRV and the Stormy... um, storm. And I wish Innova would make cheetahs in better plastic.

I don't leave the house without my beaten-to-hell 1999 Soft Magnet with a small (and fading) "Epicenter" De Laveaga stamp on it. It performs magic on any putt I need to turn to the right (RHBH). I figured in about 2013 or so that I'd better get a new Soft Magnet and slowly let it beat in for when the '99 finally disintegrates upon impact. It's 2/3 of the way there.

D<X<ESP<BigZ<Z<Ti<ESP FLX<Z FLX this in my humble opinion is the Discraft plastics. Sparkle Z is a special so I didn't include it but it's usually dead nuts with Z. Hope this helps.

Didn't realize the FLX stuff was so OS. Usually the flexible stuff, G* for example, is less OS. Thanks for the breakdown.

old z plastic lasts a long time but dang it gets reeeeeally flippy. My avenger ss is 4 years old and is a great thumber disc.

XC_Eddy see this is why i made the post. So many people claim different stability for the same plastic. Ive heard Ti is OS but then I hear from 5 other people it is understable. Same for ESP.

Didn't realize the FLX stuff was so OS. Usually the flexible stuff, G* for example, is less OS. Thanks for the breakdown.

XC_Eddy see this is why i made the post. So many people claim different stability for the same plastic. Ive heard Ti is OS but then I hear from 5 other people it is understable. Same for ESP.

Grippenripp is pretty on point. You should feel confident ordering online, using that as a guide.

One thing... with FLX, I wouldn't say it is generally more OS. You just have a greater chance of ending up with something beefier than expected, at least with the faster molds. They can flatten out more during cooling, raising the PLH. Best to buy ZFLX drivers in person to compare the edges.

There are exceptions though. For instance the Challenger in ZFLX is the most flippy, and I don't think that is a variation. Tried one a few months back, and it was as flippy as when they first came out. (Also D often starts out the most OS for putters, before beating in.)

Love the Zone, BuzzzOS, and Machete in ZFLX. Most durable plastic out there! I bag that blend so my OS slots stay OS longer.

Last edited:
Love the Zone, BuzzzOS, and Machete in ZFLX. Most durable plastic out there! I bag that blend so my OS slots stay OS longer.

I bag an ESP zone and a Z Machete. Used to bag a swirly ESP machete that started out as mega beef but developed some high speed turn in after a few months of regular play. The First run Z I bag never was as beefy as the swirly ESP started, but is holding up longer.

I will be lookin for a Z FLX Machete, and probably a zone, too. We're talking two bag slots changing because of that info, so thank you!

Yeah I even messaged them about that a few years ago. Cheetahs always get up to speed fast and have a fantastic glide. Sometimes different plastic molds different so that could be a constraint. Knowing Innova though its probably motived by money though. I think you can order a special one from their factory store.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-cheetah-pearl.html

Man, I never even thought of that. Thanks. Back to Discraft, thread hijackers can be spammed freely.

In my hands, the ZFLX buzzes are definitely less stable than Ti and Z. Although my ti buzzes are three or four years old.

Latest posts