• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft putters

I did a lot of practice putting today and didn't like how deep my Magnet was. It didn't feel very comfortable in my hand. I tried my Aviar out some more. I like it's depth, but still just don't like it in general.

Try the Roach. It's very similar to the McPro Aviar but not as deep. Doesn't have as much slope on the shoulder.

It the production roaches are like the ace race, it could be a good fit. It is definitely not as deep as a magnet or Aviar. You may find that it is touchy on drives, good form check disc.

I tried my Aviar out some more. I like it's depth, but still just don't like it in general.

I picked up an Aviar (DX) earlier today for the first time in years. Felt very awkard in my hand. Seemed very deep dish compared to the Prodigy putters I use. Could just be my putting grip. Even my power grip didn't sit right on it. After I put it down I couldn't help but be amazed that it's still so popular. :confused:

I don't find the Roach touchy on drives in the production run of pro D. I haven't tried an Ace Race yet. I've got two of those incoming. I hope they're not touchy... I guess it would be okay. I'm loving Ringers off the tee.

I was crazy about Banger GT's for a while but I just kept being disappointed by Discrafts Pro-D and Soft-X plastic. Really brittle stuff. Even after a single round I would be amazed at how much damage was visible just from putting. After a few months there would be huge chunks missing from the rims from hitting the basket at low putter speeds.

Yeah, this exactly. Which is a shame b/c they make a lot really good putters. Challenger, Banger, Focus, Roach, APX, Magnet, Ringer, Zone, etc.

I could switch over to Discraft putters easily:

Polecat -> Rattler
Serpent/Summit -> Challenger/Roach/Apx (I really need to commit to a putter again)
Breaker -> Breaker (Ringer or Zone if DGA is excluded)

I know what you mean about the Pro D plastic being disappointing. I have one that reminds me of a dog's chew toy, which does seem to help it bite the ground on approaches. I almost bought this beauty on Amazon (LE Glo Z FLX Challenger) recently, but convinced myself to get two other putters (a Z FLX challenger and ESP Zone) instead.

Nevertheless, I know those LE challengers have potential, even if they cost $25. Do you guys like those fancy challengers for tee/approach shots?

I've been curious about hose the cryztal flx and Ti flx challengers wear in, any insight? I like my x soft challenger (only the ones with the chains stamp though), but wouldn't mind something that will hold it's sweet spot a bit longer.

I haven't looked at the PDGA specs, but I believe that the Roach has a slightly smaller diameter than the Challenger.

I would compare the shape of its edge to be most similar to an Aviar PnA or Anode.

Full disclosure: obvious Discraft thrower. I lined up my Roach to a Mcpro Aviar a couple weeks ago. To me the Mcpro was a Roach with a Challenger top. In other words way deeper. To me it was easily half the depth. Don't cringe Innova guys, please.

Used to throw a chally, focus, magnet, APX, breaker, and zone. Haven't given the ringer a really fair shot yet though. Anyway The roach is the only one I throw now, it's the real deal. Mega comfortable, slow, straight flying, stable, and very reliable. D for putting, and a big Z for a straight thrower that doesn't beat in quickly but sacrificing some tactility. It's even more comfortable than the chally. Discraft's best putter yet IMO. Similar in shape to a beadless aviar but more slightly more overstable, slightly lower profile, slightly thicker rim, slightly flatter shoulder, and slightly more round feeling. All very slight differences. It's still a nice slow, deep putter. Slightly puddle topped. Nobody could go wrong with one of these, it's perfect. Unless you only like beads? Or rhynos/really overstable putters?

If I was going all Discraft for putters, I would have two Challengers for putting, Banger for drives/upshots, Roach for drives/upshots and a Zone.

Used to throw a chally, focus, magnet, APX, breaker, and zone. Haven't given the ringer a really fair shot yet though. Anyway The roach is the only one I throw now, it's the real deal. Mega comfortable, slow, straight flying, stable, and very reliable. D for putting, and a big Z for a straight thrower that doesn't beat in quickly but sacrificing some tactility. It's even more comfortable than the chally. Discraft's best putter yet IMO. Similar in shape to a beadless aviar but more slightly more overstable, slightly lower profile, slightly thicker rim, slightly flatter shoulder, and slightly more round feeling. All very slight differences. It's still a nice slow, deep putter. Slightly puddle topped. Nobody could go wrong with one of these, it's perfect. Unless you only like beads? Or rhynos/really overstable putters?

Would a challenger for more driving and a roach for putting be a good combo to use? I assume Pro-D for the Roach and then what for the CHallenger?

Last edited:
Would a challenger for more driving and a roach for putting be a good combo to use? I assume Pro-D for the Roach and then what for the CHallenger?

Yes I was doing that very thing when I first got my D Roaches. The comfort and stability of the roaches surprised me so much that I knew I wanted a big Z immediately to replace my challenger. If the challenger is more overstable than the roach it is completely marginal. They're both straight flyers, the challenger isn't as overstable as say a big bead aviar or anything. Even in other plastic. I've had D challengers, Soft X, CT, ESP FLX, Z, Cryztal, and Ti. They all flew the same, straight but slightly overstable. Which is just how I like it. I just like the roach's feel better and they fly the same. So if you like straight flying putter I recommend two D roaches for putting and one or two roachs in a plastic of your choice for throwing. If you like the feeling of the challenger over the roach obviously don't bother with roaches stick with what you like better. If you want a putter as overstable as a KC aviar or Rhyno you'll need a separate one for that, the roach won't fill those shoes. I highly recommend a Breaker for that if you want such a disc. Or a zone if you want something crazy overstable.

Yes I was doing that very thing when I first got my D Roaches. The comfort and stability of the roaches surprised me so much that I knew I wanted a big Z immediately to replace my challenger. If the challenger is more overstable than the roach it is completely marginal. They're both straight flyers, the challenger isn't as overstable as say a big bead aviar or anything. Even in other plastic. I've had D challengers, Soft X, CT, ESP FLX, Z, Cryztal, and Ti. They all flew the same, straight but slightly overstable. Which is just how I like it. I just like the roach's feel better and they fly the same. So if you like straight flying putter I recommend two D roaches for putting and one or two roachs in a plastic of your choice for throwing. If you like the feeling of the challenger over the roach obviously don't bother with roaches stick with what you like better. If you want a putter as overstable as a KC aviar or Rhyno you'll need a separate one for that, the roach won't fill those shoes. I highly recommend a Breaker for that if you want such a disc. Or a zone if you want something crazy overstable.

I think I'll be getting a Pro-D challenger and a Pro-D Roach and whatever I like more I'll commit to with a premium plastic one. I don't want to get two of one of them and not end up liking that disc.

I think I'll be getting a Pro-D challenger and a Pro-D Roach and whatever I like more I'll commit to with a premium plastic one. I don't want to get two of one of them and not end up liking that disc.

Good choice.

I used to putt with magnets but needed more stabilty.
Switched to challengers and have been very happy with them.
I putt with a soft x inside the circle, and pro d outside.
I also keep a pro d zone in my bag for insane head winds and odd shot situations where I need a low profile super over stable putter.