• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

Frank Delicious said:
preracing25 said:
Frank I already have in my hands a cryztal clear Z nuke. Memorial 2011 beautiful

can you post a couple of pics and compare it to a normal Z nuke?

Have you seen the factory dyed Nukes? They are on a crystal clear plastic that looks sort of like Opto. A couple felt awesome with big poppy domes, but the ones we got were a little light for my tastes (that and I feel kind of guilty taking premium priced pretty discs from my sponsor).

Are Crystal Z Nukes going to be limited or production run? I have one, I think it's a green memorial stamped one? It's got very nice grip.

Mike C said:
Are Crystal Z Nukes going to be limited or production run? I have one, I think it's a green memorial stamped one? It's got very nice grip.

Crystal Z is always limited.

Thanks for the info. I just jumped on the nuke bandwagon tonight so I have a few more questions.

Do first run Z nukes differ from regular production runs at all?

Is it a bad idea to throw a 2011 memorial crystal nuke, in that it could be worth something?

Is the Nuke + PDGA legal? What's the consensus on it's usefulness? I handled one today but haven't thrown one.

Mike C said:
Thanks for the info. I just jumped on the nuke bandwagon tonight so I have a few more questions.

Do first run Z nukes differ from regular production runs at all?

Is it a bad idea to throw a 2011 memorial crystal nuke, in that it could be worth something?

Is the Nuke + PDGA legal? What's the consensus on it's usefulness? I handled one today but haven't thrown one.

1. I found my FR Nukes to be slightly less stable. I have 3 FR and 3 production, and all of the production have a noticeably higher parting line.

2. Not a clue.

3. I think that it is not approved, but maybe it is simply because its called a "nuke." I threw one and thought it sucked. Only slightly more stable than a normal Z Nuke, and a lot less glidey. Just my impressions.

Thanks. I hadn't planned on getting one but I was curious anyways. I just picked up a first run to try out. I noticed my Crystal has a slightly earlier and harsher fade than the other Nuke's I've thrown (Threw a new Glow Z Nuke head to head against it today).

IMO, crystal z is not a great throwing plastic. It is infamous for starting out more stable (tease) and then breaking into more flippy in a relatively short time. It has the durability of ESP. It's better as eye candy than a thrower.

For some reason the ONLY color of FR Z Nukes Discraft sent us was pink. Yep...50 pink Nukes (WTF Discraft?). They were no different than the productions. I've thrown all the colors of production Nukes and the Glow Nuke and honestly they are all very similar. There is maybe a +/- .5 in stability across the 10 I have. I have a purple one with a HPL compared to the others, but it's only 171 and I tested it in a headwind last night and it fared no better than my others. They all require a hyzer release to fly flat. I like the domey ones the best as they seem to recover from a turn more consitently (and finish forward). Into a headwind last night they all flipped a lot. Standing on the tee with a stack of them I started to get some nice flights into the wind, but only after I sent my first 3 flipping into the road OB. The Z plastic seems to have pretty good abrasion/warpage resistance.

What I like is that throwing the Z Nuke instead of the Boss as my main D driver I'm getting really comfortable with the hyzer release. This means that when I do disc up to my Boss in the wind it seems a lot more stable now because I'm getting it out there with more hyzer.

Tried a purple 170 Z Nuke today, I understand why you like them so much.

I split the rim of a NEW green Z nuke yesterday, hitting a tree. Its split all the way threw the rim. What happened to the Z plastic durability?

cjskier said:
I split the rim of a NEW green Z nuke yesterday, hitting a tree. Its split all the way threw the rim. What happened to the Z plastic durability?

I don't think unadultered Z plastic can me used in a mold with any more volume than the Predator...That and Discraft has been blending everything softer ever since they found the additive used for FLX.

I do like the feel of my Z nuke, but the softness is almost too much (just almost, its a great grip for max D). I think durability issues is two things, the mold (some mold shapes break in faster) and the blend of Z plastic needed to keep weight low enough to be legal with that fat rim.

Didn't they also make the rim more shallow to get the weight down? Must be a damn high volume disc.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how my Nukes handle wind. I was throwing Orcs for max D and the Nuke definitely handles a headwind better. Both obviously require some hyzer but the Nuke flies on a tighter S and is much more likely to come back after flipping. I'm happy with the FR (red 174g) I was throwing. Like I observed in the glow it fades later and mslightly more gently than the crystal.

Discspeed, do you think it would be worth breaking in the crystal as a tailwind Nuke or do they tend to get squirrely?

Mike C said:
Discspeed, do you think it would be worth breaking in the crystal as a tailwind Nuke or do they tend to get squirrely?

I can't say for sure. I can say that I had a crystal Z Avenger SS and it was a really nice and stable disc at first. Strangely, after a few good whacks and a surprisingly short time it started getting flippy. I ended up selling to a local dude who didn't throw that hard. A month later I played with him and he said that now it was too flippy for him to throw and he was using it as a roller...

Anyway, I wouldn't bother with throwing the Crystal Z Nuke...One thing is for sure, and that is that all Crystal Z discs fly different from their moldmates in other plastics. I would just get used to the production Z Nukes and stick with those. Oh, and I know how Orcs are in the wind...They were my favorite driver from like '03-'05, but in wind they fail miserably. I had a shot in a tournament with an Orc once that flipped and flew downhill about 600' in the wrong direction :eek: . The Z Nuke, with it's speed and aerodynamic profile definitely fights wind better. However, they are very comparable to the Orc in that they can turn in the wind and keep flying for a long time in the wrong direction.

Yeah what you say makes sense about the Crystal plastic, I've seen that exact same thing happen with the crystal Buzzes people around here throw. That's why I never ended up getting one.

discspeed said:
However, they are very comparable to the Orc in that they can turn in the wind and keep flying for a long time in the wrong direction.

I had one of these yesterday on hole #14 at Waterworks (one of the most famous holes in the midwest). 550' feet turnover on a 450' straight shot hole surrounded by OB right and behind. Whoops.

Timko said:
discspeed said:
However, they are very comparable to the Orc in that they can turn in the wind and keep flying for a long time in the wrong direction.

I had one of these yesterday on hole #14 at Waterworks (one of the most famous holes in the midwest). 550' feet turnover on a 450' straight shot hole surrounded by OB right and behind. Whoops.

Bring on the Nuke X!!!

Latest posts