• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

I've been messing with a pink Z Nuke again and it does really bomb. Last night I had my best drive ever on a hole I've played a million times. It's got a low ceiling straight tunnel gap all the way to the basket (390'-400'), but most throw at a wider hyzer gap or throw a long gradual anhyzer. The Boss finishes too stable for the straight gap, and I've not been able to get a slower disc to fly that low all the way to the basket. The Z Nuke just hit it perfectly...It looked like a stretched out Buzzz shot. Anyway, I think I passed over this disc too quickly after it came out and I'm gonna be testing it some more. Right now I'm carrying a Hurricane for anhyzers/turnovers, a Z Nuke for Straight shots, and a Star Boss for overstable/wind distance.

discspeed said:
I've been messing with a pink Z Nuke again and it does really bomb. Last night I had my best drive ever on a hole I've played a million times. It's got a low ceiling straight tunnel gap all the way to the basket (390'-400'), but most throw at a wider hyzer gap or throw a long gradual anhyzer. The Boss finishes too stable for the straight gap, and I've not been able to get a slower disc to fly that low all the way to the basket. The Z Nuke just hit it perfectly...It looked like a stretched out Buzzz shot. Anyway, I think I passed over this disc too quickly after it came out and I'm gonna be testing it some more. Right now I'm carrying a Hurricane for anhyzers/turnovers, a Z Nuke for Straight shots, and a Star Boss for overstable/wind distance.
In the last few weeks I have had 2-3 of my most beautiful and accurate drives with the Z Nuke, 173, one of the domey first run and a bit flippier ones. They excel at bombs in a tailwind as well as insane distance on a low line. I had one accidental shot that as at most 5' off the ground, maybe 4' on a 380' hole...as soon as I let it go, I turned around and dropped my head because most discs would have been a 150' worm burner, but the Nuke sat on that low line all the way to pin high! I do have to toss it with a hyzer, I would love to get a flat top (supposed to be more stable according to Discraft pro Adam Olsen) for some big flex shots and distance with a touch of headwind.

I'm really loving the nuke. It's easier to throw then the boss and I have a new heavy one that seems to fight the wind rather well. I picked up 6 in the past week. Love em!

After today, the Z Nuke is 100% in the bag. I have 4 different ones currently, and they all fly similarly. My favorite is my red one (174). Anyway, today I bombed 3 of my best drives of the year on my home course's big D holes. Each time the Nuke got the exact amount of high speed turn that I was looking for and then faded back consistently. I took my Nukes and my Star Bosses out to a field/park yesterday as well. It a nutshell, with the wind the Nuke was longer, against it the Boss was longer. It seemed like the Boss was a tick faster, but the Nuke seemed to have a significant glide advantage. I threw some safari holes (crazy shots over ponds/soccer fields/parking lots/buildings) and I got the Nuke on the perfect booming helix nearly every throw. My Bosses were too stable when I had to throw them up in the air. They go farther on lower lines for me. Anyway, in most conditions the Z Nuke is the longest disc I've thrown. I also point blanked some trees and the Z plastic seems plenty durable, especially compared to the ESPs.

On a different yet related note, I wonder whether they will make new ESP Nukes with the rebuilt Z Nuke mold...I bet then they can use regular ESP mixes rather than the shitty stuff the first runs/memorials were made out of. This would be sweet as I prefer the feel of the new mold and I don't notice much distance difference between the two. The new mold is also less affected by the wind due to it's lower profile.

For me the ESP is probably longer once the stability is beat out of it, but the Z is better. It's still insanely long but it is more predictable and the plastic is 100 times better.

So I put one of these in my bag this weekend when some friends were in town. I've had one for about a month, but never bothered to take it out. In a word: awesome. They hold lines much better than the original mold while still not being too stable out of the box. I was able to throw it on some large hyzers, hyzer flips, and massive straight "cut" anhyzers. The glide on this thing is remarkable; it seems to glide as well as the ESP Nukes, but seems faster, and has way less left/right play when throwing distance lines.

JR said:
How much longer is the Z Nuke compared to the ESP weight for weight?

It's probably a tiny bit shorter, but its much more of usable golf disc due to it's ability to hold a line after a tiny bit of high speed turn. For me, once the ESP pushed into its high speed turn it had a life of it's own...usually long, but I didn't feel like I was in much control of it.

When I get a bigger bag and carry more than 1 distance driver, the only thing I'll really use my ESP Nukes for are will be long, long anhyzers. I got to the point that those were the only lines I trusted with that disc.

Yesterday I got a Z-Nuke in my players pack at a tourney. It was a really domey one. I threw it thinking it might be stable...boy was I wrong. This thing took off on a huge glidey turn over right out of the box. I might have to put this thing in my bag for some wide open bombs. I asked AO about this and he said that the Nuke has the opposite effect when it comes to dome. He said the flatter Z-Nukes are more stable than the domey one's.

Interesting to hear. I didn't throw the Z Nuke I had for a long time for exactly the reason you described: It had a big dome, and I figured it was going to be very stable. I may need to check out a flatter one too then. I was surprised at how well the Z Nuke still penetrated into a 15 mph headwind even with a dome.

Had an ESP Nuke. Turned it over 200 ft off line right into the river! Will be replacing with the z plastic. I did like it. It was about 50ft longer than my Wraith.

I see they had the Z glos up on mstreet...anyone grabbed one yet? Any word on these?

discspeed said:
After today, the Z Nuke is 100% in the bag. I have 4 different ones currently, and they all fly similarly. My favorite is my red one (174). Anyway, today I bombed 3 of my best drives of the year on my home course's big D holes. Each time the Nuke got the exact amount of high speed turn that I was looking for and then faded back consistently. I took my Nukes and my Star Bosses out to a field/park yesterday as well. It a nutshell, with the wind the Nuke was longer, against it the Boss was longer. It seemed like the Boss was a tick faster, but the Nuke seemed to have a significant glide advantage. I threw some safari holes (crazy shots over ponds/soccer fields/parking lots/buildings) and I got the Nuke on the perfect booming helix nearly every throw. My Bosses were too stable when I had to throw them up in the air. They go farther on lower lines for me. Anyway, in most conditions the Z Nuke is the longest disc I've thrown. I also point blanked some trees and the Z plastic seems plenty durable, especially compared to the ESPs.

On a different yet related note, I wonder whether they will make new ESP Nukes with the rebuilt Z Nuke mold...I bet then they can use regular ESP mixes rather than the shitty stuff the first runs/memorials were made out of. This would be sweet as I prefer the feel of the new mold and I don't notice much distance difference between the two. The new mold is also less affected by the wind due to it's lower profile.

So the esp is actaully a different mold? Sure it's not just a plastic cooling thing? The first run esp is where its at for me. I have a couple z's but haven't really thrown them.

I went and threw my glo nuke today I got it yesterday. I liked the way it flew. Fairly flat for someone with not a ton of snap.

I haven't had a chance to throw my Glo Nukes yet. Hopefully that will change tomorrow.
KP

Balls! Max weight Glo Nuke is comparable in stability to 172 Z model. Was really hoping for more overstability, but these are fairly neutral, which might be nice to replace some of the ESPs in the bag. Mine are all 173-174 and pretty flat. Anybody else thrown one?
KP