• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Discs for young beginners

centipod

Hi!

I'm looking to buy discs for my brothers in law (8 and 14 years old). We were out throwing a beat up old 175g XS and a 167g Rattler the other day and I was impressed with their distance. I have seen adult beginners struggle to get the same distance as these kids in the beginning. The older one threw the XS about 50 meters (164 ft) nice and low with some fall on the end of the flight and threw the rattler about 30-40 meters straight. The younger kid could get quite good distance on the Rattler too (30 meters) also throwing nice and low.

So now I'm looking for midranges in light weights for these future pros :) So I'm thinking in the 150 class (or 130 for the younger one?) and basic plastic. Do you think a DX Cobra around 150 gram might be good or should I look for something more stable like a 150gram Buzzz (or a cobra in the 160 range?).

Looking forward to hearing your thougts and your experiences of teaching younger beginners disc golf!

Cheers!

Innova Wedge. It's designed for small hands. And it's nice and understable for beginners.

I've introduced the game to several kids ages 6-12, and the discs that they've had the most success with with me are the Cheetah and the Anode. They were throwing about the distances you cited. So I'd recommend a Cheetah if you want to stick to base plastic.

A Latitude 64 Diamond would also be great if you don't mind a slightly more expensive, highly durable disc.

Thanks! Good suggestions! I had overlooked the Wedge but it will be good in 150g for the 8 year. So now I'm leaning towards 150g Buzzz or Cobra for the older one. Wouldn't want him to start flipping and rolling it too fast.

+1 for the Diamond. Great, glidey, easy to throw disc.

For a mid the Fuse is a great understable/neutral disc with lots of glide. Yuo can get them a low 160's GL one now, and as they grow and improve you can up the weight or go to Opto to change the flight a little.

Yep - Diamond will reward them and make them want to play more - its sibling, the Pearl, is also super easy and fun to throw. Never tried the Ruby putter, but I'd imagine as a starter set, you would be hard pressed to do better. Plus, Opto plastic can take a huge licking and still look like new.

I would think a Mid you would want to be a bit heavier.. Drivers I would do the 150 class. But I would suggest the Stingray.. That rim is the smallest thing I have ever held. Number 1 reason why it's in the closet and will remain there.

Forgot about the Ruby and Pearl. Nice discs. I know someone that uses the Ruby as an approach disc for some shots. Good disc that won't become useless as they get better.

+1 on the Lat64 Easy To Use line. My wife uses the Diamond and Pearl. I even carry a Ruby for almost all of my approach shots. Great discs for small hands.

A couple people have already mentioned the stingray, but I'll third it, and throw the mako into the mix.

When I bring beginners along for a round they seem to do well with either.

Ok, thanks guys!

I'm leaning towards the 150 g Wedge and a Stingray now. Do you think the Stingray would be good in 150 g as well (for the older)? The only heavier i can find in my store is 180 g.

got my nephew a 150 class squall and a super stingray from the used bin and that worked really well for him. He was also throwing the tursas and judge good as well. Anything other than mids and putters weren't working well for him. He wasn't getting distance but he was getting straight lines which I told him outweighs distance at first. Lucky for him he lives just outside of Austin and I told him he needs to get his parents to get him into Austin sometime to check out the scene.

Discraft Stratus is great for low-power players, myself included. As a matter of personal preference I like it more than the stingray.

The Innova Panther sounds like a great younger/weaker player's disc, but I have not personally thrown one.

the panther is a great disc for someone underpowered just learning backhand. The stratus and stingray have been mentioned, and a nice DX leopard can become a friend. My one son essentially fell in love with his, and all these discs teach good form at the same time.

Latest posts