• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs to Soldiers Overseas

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
I have a cousin who is currently serving in Seoul, South Korea. He is a Disc Golfer while at home and he recently found out that there are a few Disc Golf courses near the base he is at.

It got me thinking, has anyone at DGCourseReview consider a "charity" where discers from this site donate used (or new) discs to be sent to soldiers in currently serving overseas.

With the depression/suicide rate rising among active military personal, having some way to relieve stress would be awesome and I think the DG community could step up and meet this need.

Does anyone know of a charity like this currently in existence?

Would any of you be willing to donate new or used discs to be sent to the base in South Korea for military stationed there?

DGCR has sent discs to troops in the past, this is a generous community. I am sure you will find some interested people. If you want to start something I will support you. If you just want to donate to any troops:
Discs for troops

Really cool to hear people talking about the suicide issues in the Military. Most people just buy a yellow ribbon magnet and check the "troops supported" block. I want to start to pushing the disc golf solution at my post now.

Double feedback points? You can get an itrader feedback as a "trade", but you can not get 2 feedbacks for the same transaction. You can also not give someone 2 feedbacks in one day.

You can get triple Karma points

Double feedback points? You can get an itrader feedback as a "trade", but you can not get 2 feedbacks for the same transaction. You can also not give someone 2 feedbacks in one day.

You can get triple Karma points

I am going to need to get help figuring out what to do here...I have not messed with the feedback or Karma points yet.

Really cool to hear people talking about the suicide issues in the Military. Most people just buy a yellow ribbon magnet and check the "troops supported" block. I want to start to pushing the disc golf solution at my post now.

I am with you....another checkmark in a list of "good deeds"...but nothing tangible or affective....I know my cousin would love to be able to blow of some steam by tossing discs with his friends but bringing his disc bag with him on the troop transport was not an option....a gift box is.

Expecting extra points for doing something decent kind of tarnishes the good deed in my opinion. Giving one positive trade feedback to each person that sends you something is sufficient.

That said, if you actually make this happen, I'll donate some plastic.

I keep track in my head. everytime I give a disc away I give my self some points, then I lose them all telling people they are idiots. I have given away A LOT of discs to make up for the amount of asshatery.

Last year I donated Mosquito netting to Solomon.trenton's Haiti mission. This year I got a box of basketballs and used tiny nerf footballs as packing material.

Expecting extra points for doing something decent kind of tarnishes the good deed in my opinion. Giving one positive trade feedback to each person that sends you something is sufficient.

That said, if you actually make this happen, I'll donate some plastic.

I am with tbird here 100%, I don't need incentive to do something nice and I have a few discs gathering dust in my closet I would not mind giving away for the right reasons. Not to mention, who doesn't like to gather up a few good karma points along the way. :D

Good idea, let me/us know where to donate when the time comes. :thmbup:

I am sending everyone interested in donating, PMs with the address to send discs. I am collecting them, boxing them up, and sending them myself.

I appreciate the support!

I have done this before, you should really ask a few people if it is ok if you resell a few of their discs to cover shipping because shipping is going to cost you over $30 if you get a decent amount.

I have done this before, you should really ask a few people if it is ok if you resell a few of their discs to cover shipping because shipping is going to cost you over $30 if you get a decent amount.

I didn't really consider the shipping cost...I just figured it would be my contribution...If it gets absurd I will consider your idea...for now though, I am planning to absorb the shipping cost myself.

Might be easier/cheaper to get a bulk shipment sent directly from a manufacturer. Then all you have to do is collect cash donations via paypal. Perhaps a custom stamped mass Wizard order...

Last edited:
Might be easier/cheaper to get a bulk shipment sent directly from a manufacturer. Then all you have to do is collect cash donations via paypal.

Would be easier, cheaper yes, but going this route gives the manufacturer the credit...not that I have issue with that but, I like the idea of a community of disc golfers lifting up and supporting fellow disc golfers who are serving in the military...IMO it would mean a little more...Just my two cents...

If this becomes a regular thing, perhaps getting some corporate sponsor would work better. I will cross that bridge if we get there...for now, I am just wanting to bless a group of guys who are within miles of a few courses without discs.