• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dislocated kneecap! How long before playing again is ok?

Well after a heated discussion i got her to agree to sitting out a couple more weeks. That should help. Now im pushing for her to follow up with her doctor. Not really sure why she doesnt want to. We arent rich or anything but we can pay for a doctors visit. Shes a teacher so she has insurance.

Yea, at this point it's not even about disc golf. She might have to wait weeks to put any kind of stress on that knee. Now you just got to convince her to see that doc. Good luck! :thmbup:

If you can get her doctor to write a prescription to a PT, it may be helpful. I tore my ACL two months ago , and went to a PT for "prehab" and post surgery "rehab". PT can't give medical answers - "did I tear my menincus?" but can answer - "this hurts when I bend it this way". They can probably tell you why, and an exercise to strengthen the muscles that compensate for the injury so you not reinjure it.

Plus they tend not to be jerks (some doctors can be) or in a rush (almost all doctors are and don't have time to answer more the one or two questions). Plus, the rate for PT is relatively cheap. A sports med doc is ~ $90 for probably a 15 minute consult, where that will get you 3 30 min PT visits. (this is my insurance plan, I don't have a co-pay, so take it for what it's worth)

Having only read the OP, my physical therapy school wife said that the muscles and ligaments around the knee need about 6 to 8 weeks to recover.

There is a guy that I played with back home that had knee surgery a few years back, and rather than completely stop playing, he went to an all stationary throw. Now he doesn't need a run-up to be able to beat most of us. Also, his accuracy is insanely deadly from a stationary throw since he had to that and that only for so long. Just like everyone else has said, I would talk to a doctor and see what the chance of re-injury is.

There is a guy that I played with back home that had knee surgery a few years back, and rather than completely stop playing, he went to an all stationary throw. Now he doesn't need a run-up to be able to beat most of us. Also, his accuracy is insanely deadly from a stationary throw since he had to that and that only for so long. Just like everyone else has said, I would talk to a doctor and see what the chance of re-injury is.
i was going to say the same. She may be inclined to cheat a little and worsen the situation.

my buddy dislocated his should three times this past year because he didnt give it rest and would not stop playing soft ball. a fellow discer smashed his leg pretty good on a 30 foot fall and didnt play again for months to be safe. smart man. tell her if she f***s up again she wont be able to play for a year

My self-diagnosis and self-treatment of mild shoulder pain, with a strong desire to play through it, resulted in shoulder surgery, the loss of the bulk of 2 years of playing, and never really quite the same.

There was a day in my rehab when I was elated to be able to throw 15 feet, because it was an accomplishment and because I'd gone a long time without even that.

How bad can a doctor's visit be?

Wow lots of feedback! To answer some questions. She did it 5weeks ago today. She played league and came home. As she was getting out of the car she twisted her left knee awkwarding and felt a pop and could not bend her knee. Went to dr and he said torn meniscus. 2 weeks later she went back because it hadnt gotten any better. Got an mri that day and found out meniscus was fine. Kneecap slipped out and back in. She moved her "return" back a couple of weeks. Her new target date is sept 17th which will be 8 weeks. I guess she is eager to get back as she has not had pain in a couple weeks. She said she doesnt want to go to the dr because she doesnt have pain anymore. Still going to push for her to go and if she does i will go with her. I want to talk to the dr specifically about disc golf. Hopefully i can get her to go.

Ok so my wife dislocated herkneecap on her left leg about 33 days ago. She plays disc golf all the time and is dieing to get back to playing. She throws rhbh and some rhfh. She is saying she is going to give it another week and shes going back to playing. Im worried she is rushing back to soon but Im not sure if I can talk her out of it. Basically she is taking 5 weeks off. I was hoping she would wait until our local ace race which is on september 22nd but now now she sais shes coming back earlier. Thoughts?

You should probably talk to a doctor and not a forum full of NOT DOCTORS.

slightly fixed, but the thread should end with that post.

I have never understood why anyone seeks medical advice on this forum.

A buddy of mine broke his wrist playing soccer in high school. He had thought he sprained it, and the stubborn ass didn't understand why it hurt for a solid six months. Two surgeries and 18 months of a plaster cast later, he understood the value of doctors.

Knee

I have never understood why anyone seeks medical advice on this forum.

Didnt ask for anybodies medical advice. Simply wanted to know if anybody else had done the same to their knee and how long they were out. Seriousely if you cant contribute dont post.

Didnt ask for anybodies medical advice. Simply wanted to know if anybody else had done the same to their knee and how long they were out. Seriousely if you cant contribute dont post.

Contributing anecdotal evidence about medical issues and personal recovery time isn't really contributing at all.

Medical professionals get paid so much for good reason - they are there to offer unbiased diagnosis for each different client. No two people respond to an injury or the pre/rehab the same way, so asking for other peoples personal experience will do you as much good as flipping a coin.

knee

Contributing anecdotal evidence about medical issues and personal recovery time isn't really contributing at all.

Medical professionals get paid so much for good reason - they are there to offer unbiased diagnosis for each different client. No two people respond to an injury or the pre/rehab the same way, so asking for other peoples personal experience will do you as much good as flipping a coin.

You know sometimes people just want to talk about the situation. Im not asking anybody to diagnose or give medical advise. Why did you even post? Other than to be negative. No matter how good of a community it is on hear theirs always somebody who just has to be a couple of @sses.

A little cortisone and she'll be good as new. Only Kidding

I dislocated my knee when I was younger but it was at the end of soccer season so I didn't do anything on it for probably 2 or 3 months. I will mention I didn't have much pain after a week just didn't do anything because I was lazy. Never had the problem again with disc golf or soccer through college. But I was only 14 when it happened and teens heal quick. I'd definitely suggest she gets to the doctor for her follow up.

Wow lots of feedback! To answer some questions. She did it 5weeks ago today. She played league and came home. As she was getting out of the car she twisted her left knee awkwarding and felt a pop and could not bend her knee. Went to dr and he said torn meniscus. 2 weeks later she went back because it hadnt gotten any better. Got an mri that day and found out meniscus was fine. Kneecap slipped out and back in. She moved her "return" back a couple of weeks. Her new target date is sept 17th which will be 8 weeks. I guess she is eager to get back as she has not had pain in a couple weeks. She said she doesnt want to go to the dr because she doesnt have pain anymore. Still going to push for her to go and if she does i will go with her. I want to talk to the dr specifically about disc golf. Hopefully i can get her to go.

So her knee cap popped out and back in? That's not too serious actually. It's a very common injury in volleyball (from diggers hitting the floor with their knees) so that might be a line to explore for more specific feedback.

If she's not feeling any pain or stiffness, she would probably be okay. She'd have to use common sense and ease into it slowly, listen to her body's feedback and if she feels anything that isn't right, stop. A knee brace that prevents the knee from twisting might be a nice precaution to prevent further ligament damage (if there is any). I'd have her do some easy stretching and monitor the results of it (if any, i.e. swelling/pain)over the next couple of days, before trying any sports activity.

The thing to remember though is that dislocations are a lot like concussions. Once you have one, they become likelier and likelier to happen again. The cartilage and joint tissue that used to keep it in place just aren't there anymore thanks to the wear and tear of life so it's important to avoid extreme movements if you can.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor. Just an anthropology major with a lot of anatomy and skeletal experience.

Latest posts