• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dislocated kneecap! How long before playing again is ok?

Knee

Finally talked her into going back to the dr this week. Which was h goal all along. We also play in a coed volleyball league thats starts next week and i told her i wasnt going to put a team in unless she went to the dr. Also the dr has to clear her becore she plays either again. And she has a brace already. Thanks for all the input. Mission accomished. Now we have to wait and see what the dr says.

Cool.

And win-win. If the Doctor says go ahead and play, she can do it without worry. If the Doctor says don't, she can assume the visit saved her much worse problems down the road.

Haha, if you're coming to a forum of people that have a hobby for advice on a medical condition then there is something wrong with you. Good luck dude, you're gonna need it to not get eaten by a brontosaurus rex. ;)

Finally talked her into going back to the dr this week. Which was h goal all along. We also play in a coed volleyball league thats starts next week and i told her i wasnt going to put a team in unless she went to the dr. Also the dr has to clear her becore she plays either again. And she has a brace already. Thanks for all the input. Mission accomished. Now we have to wait and see what the dr says.

Awesome. Hope she'll be ok, and can get back to what she enjoys.

Haha, if you're coming to a forum of people that have a hobby for advice on a medical condition then there is something wrong with you. Good luck dude, you're gonna need it to not get eaten by a brontosaurus rex.

I'm sure there is a physician among us. If not, there's probably one lurking. This forum is not as homogenous as you might believe.

You know sometimes people just want to talk about the situation. Im not asking anybody to diagnose or give medical advise. Why did you even post? Other than to be negative. No matter how good of a community it is on hear theirs always somebody who just has to be a couple of @sses.

Instead of getting defensive maybe you could open up to discussion a little bit.

I have a fair amount of experience with knee injuries. 3 ACL tears on the same side. Yes, that is three(3), two reconstructions and two retears afterwords. I opted for no reconstruction last time.

Knees are nothing to mess with. They are probably one of the least protected joints, while being put under a huge amount of demand, especially during sports. Considering your wife is dealing with a tendon injury, proper time will allow it to heal - unlike a ligament, where if it is completely torn, it's done - and strengthen it again after it has healed.

I'm stressing to you the importance of seeking medical advice just because even they can be wrong, so don't depend on the opinions of the layman. I'm glad your wife did go back to the doctor - he can set her up with a pathway to try and get back to as close to normal as possible.

knee

Instead of getting defensive maybe you could open up to discussion a little bit.

I have a fair amount of experience with knee injuries. 3 ACL tears on the same side. Yes, that is three(3), two reconstructions and two retears afterwords. I opted for no reconstruction last time.

Knees are nothing to mess with. They are probably one of the least protected joints, while being put under a huge amount of demand, especially during sports. Considering your wife is dealing with a tendon injury, proper time will allow it to heal - unlike a ligament, where if it is completely torn, it's done - and strengthen it again after it has healed.

I'm stressing to you the importance of seeking medical advice just because even they can be wrong, so don't depend on the opinions of the layman. I'm glad your wife did go back to the doctor - he can set her up with a pathway to try and get back to as close to normal as possible.

And yet your first post was critical of me making a thread to talk about the situation?? Doesnt matter as she has now agreed to go back to dr and is now going to sit out until October.

This just sounds like patellar instability to me. It's really common and usually not serious unless it occurred traumatically and causes a ligament tear (I'm not sure getting out of the car awkwardly is enough to qualify but I didn't see it). This is really common in women and people that are loose jointed. Some of you guys I think are overreacting a bit.

Knee

This just sounds like patellar instability to me. It's really common and usually not serious unless it occurred traumatically and causes a ligament tear (I'm not sure getting out of the car awkwardly is enough to qualify but I didn't see it). This is really common in women and people that are loose jointed. Some of you guys I think are overreacting a bit.

Everything you said is right on the money. Im being overly protective because she just raised $2300 for a 3 day breast cancer walk the first week in october and i would hate to see all that hard work waisted. Chances are if she did reinjure it than she would have to miss the walk which would devastate her. Plus i just dont want to see her hurt. The. Hance of missing the 3 day walk (23 miles i think) is what made her change her mind.

But what you said is what the dr who gave her an mri said. More than likely it will happen again at some point. Also their were no ligament tears. But all the ligaments and such are weak from the injury and need some time to regain their strength.

how do you have a DG league in your kitchen? -or- how is your wife able to cook using discs?

/poor taste jokes

seriously make her go to the doctor. what kind of woman are you married to? how has she not been to the doctor like 8 times already?

Everything you said is right on the money. Im being overly protective because she just raised $2300 for a 3 day breast cancer walk the first week in october and i would hate to see all that hard work waisted. Chances are if she did reinjure it than she would have to miss the walk which would devastate her. Plus i just dont want to see her hurt. The. Hance of missing the 3 day walk (23 miles i think) is what made her change her mind.

But what you said is what the dr who gave her an mri said. More than likely it will happen again at some point. Also their were no ligament tears. But all the ligaments and such are weak from the injury and need some time to regain their strength.

*pats self on the back*

You've probably said already but how long has it been since she's been feeling any pain or discomfort? That's what you need to keep track of. The timeline for her recovery will also depend on things like how fast she heals, her age, her injury history, etc. Instead of just going to a regular doc, she'd probably be better suited going to an orthopedic or sports medicine doc if you really want a thorough opinion.

But what I'd stress most importantly of all is for her to not just jump right back into activity full bore as soon as the doc says it's okay. Ligaments are going to be weak from inactivity even if they're healed so she should do some light, stretching and strengthening exercise if she's able.

Knee

how do you have a DG league in your kitchen? -or- how is your wife able to cook using discs?

/poor taste jokes

seriously make her go to the doctor. what kind of woman are you married to? how has she not been to the doctor like 8 times already?

Lol. Shes tough man. Been an athlete all her life and is super competitive. Played bb in college and volleyball and softball in high school. Still plays vb and softball.

Knee

*pats self on the back*

You've probably said already but how long has it been since she's been feeling any pain or discomfort? That's what you need to keep track of. The timeline for her recovery will also depend on things like how fast she heals, her age, her injury history, etc. Instead of just going to a regular doc, she'd probably be better suited going to an orthopedic or sports medicine doc if you really want a thorough opinion.

But what I'd stress most importantly of all is for her to not just jump right back into activity full bore as soon as the doc says it's okay. Ligaments are going to be weak from inactivity even if they're healed so she should do some light, stretching and strengthening exercise if she's able.

Been about 2 or 3 weeks with no pain. She just turned 33 and she did have a torn meniscus in high school but im not sure which knee. And she saw an orthopedic already and thats the dr shes going back to. I personally think the dr will release her when she goes back but she says shes not going to do anything more than walk or ride her bike until october. The first week of october she has 23 mile (i think) breast cancer awareness walk.

Disc golf is her favorite sport now days for sure and she is gotten very good at it. Last monthly she played she would have cashed out 2nd in intermediate and has had some smoking scores as of late.

Latest posts