• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do the most popular discs vary from region to region?

Whirlwind Disc Golf

Bogey Member
If retailers listed their top sellers, would the lists be pretty much the same no matter where the retailer is located (in the US)? If there's significance various, why -- prominent sponsored player or event, availability of certain brands at retail outlets, proximity of mfg itself...?

For example, what would be the California top 5 for each power drivers, control drivers, mid-range, and putters -- for mid-level players, let's say? Would it match Texas or Michigan or North Carolina?

Infinite is doing a cool thing with these graphs and charts. I really like seeing these statistics. It's clear that (Beyond Innova's dominance) manufacturers do have their place in different regions. Discraft is really strong in the midwest and north, Legacy is selling well out west and Prodigy in Tennessee (Schusterick).

I'm surprised to see Latitude have such a showing in North Carolina as the second best retailer past Innova. I see a lot of people throwing Prodigy and Discraft.

I know that Discraft has a very strong following in AZ for two reasons: the memorial (by discraft) and the buzzz. The buzzz flat out performs better than the roc in the dry slightly high altitude of Phoenix.

It's funny that Prodigy is high in Ga, I know they are based here but I don't see them all that much anymore.

Way more trilogy, but I think that's heavy on Lat64.

MVP is getting more popular and most of my friends bag some Salient or Yikun but mostly that Justus because of how cheap I can sell them to them. and they are often the discs I have for players packs and such.

Innova dominated, good bit of Discraft, and Vibram and Trilogy are the only two brands you see more than a random disc of in my area.

innova is king for most people in my area. what is interesting though is that the xd and monster are super popular here ( I don't throw either ). when I travel for tourneys out side the area I never see these 2.

Innova and Discraft are the only brands that can be purchased locally here, so I see more of those than anything else. With the guys that order, MVP and Trilogy come next. A couple of guys are liking Prodigy drivers.

Regions are dominated by certain brands and the promotion by a manufacturer in conjunction with a shop has the potential to change the influence tremendously. Here in Boise Trilogy has become huge. Washington is almost exclusively Innova or used to be at least.

Truly depends on how much promotion is being done. The Discmania truck (Eric Oakley) was at the Twin Falls Classic this passed weekend, the first of many stops on the US tour. Latitude 64 sponsored the tournament and there were Discraft flags all over the place. Who is willing to buy the business will determine the following of a region.

If retailers listed their top sellers, would the lists be pretty much the same no matter where the retailer is located (in the US)? If there's significance various, why -- prominent sponsored player or event, availability of certain brands at retail outlets, proximity of mfg itself...?

For example, what would be the California top 5 for each power drivers, control drivers, mid-range, and putters -- for mid-level players, let's say? Would it match Texas or Michigan or North Carolina?

The short answer is yes; top sellers and what people throw shows a pretty significant regional bias. But regardless Innova is still king everywhere.

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/stat...our-demographics-affect-our-choice-of-brands/
https://infinitediscs.com/blog/what-is-in-our-bags/
https://infinitediscs.com/blog/state-of-disc-golf-2015-most-popular-brands-worldwide/

Maybe the best answer will be found at those links, specifically the last link that breaks sales down by region. Other responses will be mostly speculation although I am pretty sure regions do skew a little more toward certain manufacturers, but probably only slightly.

I like how they talk about what manufacturers are prefered in the world and then only show North America and Scandinavia.

Infinite is doing a cool thing with these graphs and charts. I really like seeing these statistics. It's clear that (Beyond Innova's dominance) manufacturers do have their place in different regions. Discraft is really strong in the midwest and north, Legacy is selling well out west and Prodigy in Tennessee (Schusterick).

I'm surprised to see Latitude have such a showing in North Carolina as the second best retailer past Innova. I see a lot of people throwing Prodigy and Discraft.

I can attest to Prodigy running away with the younger crowd here in East Tennessee. Even some of the older crowd are bagging Prodigy distance drivers. Not many people are bagging their putters but one does see a lot of MVP and Axiom putters.