• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do You Pick Up Garbage While You Play?

Do You Pick Up Garbage When You Play?

• Always

Votes: 54 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 88 54.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Never

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
If not, then why not? I don't always bring a bag with me but even when I don't I try to pick up big things along the way. I don't say this much and many people don't know this about me but every couple of weeks I pick a course I play regularly and bring a couple of garbage bags and pick up litter before or after I play and not just litter on the course, I clean other parts of the park as well. it's good to show people that we have a purpose and that we take care of our own and other people's litter. Looking good to P&R people as well as the public only helps us put in new courses, I've seen this first hand. It's also a good thing to teach the new players as our sport grows. Poll coming soon...

My rule of thumb is to pick up all cans and bottle on fairways and bring them to the next tee pad (which usually has a trash can). Only time I don't is when my hands are too full from the cans and bottles that I have already picked up. I never carry a trash bag around, I probably should. I have seen a number of non-disc golfers cleaning up the park, usually older residents who enjoy other aspects of the park. I hate seeing them have to clean up after the bad apples among disc golfers - I think a number of parks have gone to pay to play to fund someone to clean up the courses.

lol Bizz this is like turning on a bright light when there are a bunch of "troll" moths flying around. End well it will not :D.

Usually just cig butts next to the tee for me. As a smoker it bothers me to see them, and if I'm already dirty and smelly, why not pick up a couple. Other then that our courses are usually pretty clean of littler.

I picked up a little pack of portable garbage bags (smallish) from the dollar store which fits perfectly in my bag so if there aren't any garbage cans on the course all I have to do is put the trash in a bag, tie it off, and dump it in a GB Can on the way outta the park.

Pretty much every course in my area has a garbage can or bucket at least every few holes, if not on every hole. It kills me that someone will throw a Powerade/water/beer bottle on the ground, often within twenty feet or so of said receptacle. Even when it's not that close to a can, people are willing to carry the object when it's useful to them. Why not a little further to dispose of it properly? I generally will pick up (unfortunately not always) anything large in my path unless I'm brain dead. I'm currently looking for a home with enough land to put in a private course, and it will be well posted that course privileges will be pulled if any trash is found on the course, including cigarette butts.

I have been known to pick up obvious trash where it detracts, but I also tend to make sure the people in my group follow the rules. In the past, cigarette butts were a problem but I think it has finally clicked that the cigarette but that YOU throw down will be there next time you play, and the time after that, and the time after that.

I always pick up garbage. Most times I will carry a bag with me to pick up everything that I see, but if not a bag I will pick up bottles, cans, etc and throw them in the next trash can that I come across.

I have a "trash round" about once a month where I drag a garbage bag out on the course with me and pick up empty beverage containers, cig packs, or whatever might be about. There is only one receptacle for the entire course by the entrance. I rarely get through a nine before having to switch out bags.

i don't smoke and don't drink while i play so i'm not guilty here, but i do however litter 170grams of plastic in the water every now and then. :doh:

Good stuff everyone! I like hearing this, puts a smile on my face. :)

We used to have contests on league night (before a tournament) to see who could bring in the most amount of trash. The winner would get a disc or something. Sometimes if my kids are with me, and don't want to play, I will pay them 10 cents for each can or bottle they remove from the course.

I hardly ever do, but thankfully, it's not because I'm lazy - it's because the two courses I frequent almost never have any garbage!

the trash that's like right net to the can...

or within a few feet. Sometimes, just sometimes... the culprits are not what we think. There is an outside garbage can near a school I would pass quite often. Soo many times there would be said gartorade or powerade bottles, along with wrappers and juice box containers. Thinking to myself as I cleaned it up, so close but not quite.

Then I saw them the next time. 6-8 black crows pullin' the stuff out of the can.

I imagine that happens more often than we'd think - especially in the woods. Squirrels, crows, raccoons, small bears...or the occasional squatch...

But garbage rounds as a practice... for sure.

I've had people comment to me that they noticed that the DG part of the park lately seems to be cleaner than the rest of the park. Why? Because I pick up trash (and trim branches and shrubs, and sweep teepads) on the course but not in the rest of the park. :)

I do but need to do it more. Putting extra garbage bags in the dg bag is key.