• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do You Pick Up Garbage While You Play?

Do You Pick Up Garbage When You Play?

• Always

Votes: 54 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 88 54.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Never

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
The only trash I have ever thrown on the ground was a Groove. Heyoooh!

^
a) joke
b) a mod started the thread
c) sheesh!

litter is not funny it is serious business and the amount of people that don't litter should be quantified please. I don't litter and I don't like to talk about it

I'd rather see trash with a course all over it. (references thread where the guy wants to improve course built on reclaimed landfill)

To be honest, I do pick up trash I see on the ground, and sometimes people are kind enough to have peed on it, then my hand smells like it. I need to carry sanitizer in my bag.

Sometimes, mainly bottles and cans..it pisses me off when people smash bottles on the tees.

kcfdc has done a good job of providing trash cans and services to get rid of trash, but when i see it, I'll put it in the next can.

Yes, I've got a 5 gal bucket on my pushcart that I use for a trashcan, if it is course I don't play often I will have to dump it several times.

I don't understand why people think this thread is going to be a 'burn,' its a good reminder to do your part and contribute to the sport. Especially if you are one of those who complain about paying to play; if you can't pay, you can contribute!

Thanks Danger.

This is a serious thread and poll that I started, I would like to keep it that way please. Yeah if you don't like pay to play this should be your area of expertise and your job to keep public courses in the ground. I started this as an awareness thread as well as getting people to think about it and figuring out how many people all ready do this. This is something we should pass down to the next generation of players so that we can keep courses in the ground as well as make new ones. I'm a board member for a 501c3 (www.discoveringopenspaces.com) that's main mission is installing and maintaining courses new and old.

Here is my short story:

I used to litter cigarette butts all over the place like it was my mission in life. Then, one day I moved to Yosemite National Park. While I walked to work, I littered a butt on the bike path. I noticed that same very butt on the way back home and thought to myself 'wow, that's weird.'

So the next day comes and sure enough, on the way back to work, there is the butt again! A slight tinge of guilt hit me, but I still left it there. Well, 2 more days of stubbornness went by and finally, I leaned over, and picked it up.

Ever since that experience, I stopped littering cigarette butts (the only thing I have ever intentionally thrown on the ground). Living in a city, town, whatever, we kind of grow reliant on street sweepers, city employees, and other property owners making sure the area looks nice.

Now I know the Disc Golf Course is no national park, but WE are its 'employees.' These courses are usually tucked back in areas that are somewhat hidden from the public eye, and its up to the users of that area to take care of it. That would be us. Do you ever look at those huge piles of cigarette butts? Guess what, A BUNCH OF THEM ARE YOURS!!! If you expect things to get cleaned up for you, go play tennis, or something on a court that gets hosed down each day. Part of enjoying a nature based activity is respecting nature, and if you can't do that then its probably best to pick up another sport.

Oh, and several people have given me that bullsh-t response that 'cigarette butts decompose.' So do you, over time, but in the meantime, its just an ugly stinky reminder of your irresponsibility.

"Do You Pick Up Garbage While You Play?"

That is all I do on the course. Pick up my garbage throw and then throw it again. :)

As a general rule, yeah. I don't go out of my way to do it unless it's bad, like several broken beer bottles or a heap of gatorade/water bottles on the fairway. Really, the biggest factor is what bag I'm using. My Phenix bag usually has more space to toss errant bottles and trash into than my Fade Crunch does.

Seneca Creek State Park (MD) is the cleanest disc golf course I've ever seen. The locals pick up litter, including cigarette butts, during every single round. The pride the Cedar Farm Golf Club has for that 27-hole course is evident in the fact the course is almost always litter free. I refer to it as the "Seneca Standard" by which I compare all other courses.

I often carry a plastic grocery bag to pick up litter during a round of golf at my home course, Moraine State Park. Our course has a "carry in / carry out" litter policy as there are no trash cans. I find it amazing there are so many people who can carry a full bottle of Gatorade or water during their round, but once their beverage has been consumed they quickly dispose of it on the ground as litter. This makes no sense. The plastic bottle weighs the least when it is empty. :confused:

It depends..... and I say that because I have wasted many of rounds getting upset within myself because I'm cleaning up after ignorant people than playing the disc golf I had planned to play. Now I mostly walk right past the litter and don't even blink unless it's a clean up day and I know other people are cleaning up along with me.

It was funny, in my own sick sense.... Yesterday I was playing with my one bud and a couple other local leaders at Arboretum Park and on the first hole I saw an empty Mallboro pack in the fairway. I picked it up and crumpled it up and was about to put in my bag when I threw over to my friend and said you throw it away, your a smoker and I'm not..... but I walked past some trash along the DGC other than that and just walked on by, because I know in my heart I've done my share of cleaning up after others and I know I don't litter, so why should I clean up after other when others in your group aren't doing the same.

So now, I just walk on by........

I remember many moons ago I almost got into a fight because of litter bugs... as there was a group of beer drinkers sitting in the woods drinking and throwning the empty cans all over in the woods. When I saw one of them do it, I asked are you going to pick that up? He replied no, it's the parks job. and I said no, it your responsibility. His group then all stood up looking towards me and asked me if I had a problem.... I replied I don't like you guys throwing your beer cans in the woods and not picking up after yourselves. I then said that I was going to follow them home and litter in they're yards. Nothing materalized after that but that's one reason why I don't personally clean up after others. I will as a group and I will when I feel like it on my own, but I'd rather play than clean up after others.

I admit that I tossed cigarette butts for the first few years I played. At Duck Golf, around 1990, Carlton Howard gave me a "pocket ashtray" for my golf bag. It was a foil lined pouch which would extinguish a lit cigarette while keeping the ashes and debris from spreading within my golf bag. I used it religiously until it fell apart a few years later. At that point, I began using "Altoid" tins as a replacement.

I gave the tins out at tournaments for the last decade or so. Players meetings usually included this quote "I'm not your mother and I'm not here to clean up after you. If you can carry it out on the course you can dispose of it in a receptacle or carry it out with you"

cans of beer/energy drinks mystify me...I mean u can crush a can and its virtually no weight and no space...yet I find countless cans

CRUSH YOUR CAN AND CARRY IT OUT

Latest posts