• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play in cold weather?

I usually agree Frank but I remember at one of the Saturday Singles events this past February it was 9°F that morning. But that is a bit unusual for good old NC.

I will say this when I lived in Ohio and in November it was -20°F and 3 ft of snow on the ground and snowing sideways I didn't leave the house unless work or alcohol was involved.

The more appropriate question for FL golfers is "do you play in the summer?" Summers bring temps up to 100, brutal humidity, torrential rains, and treacherous lightening. We love the winter! Personally I think FL should have daylight savings all winter long...I've never met anyone who didn't agree with me on that.

now that you mention it discspeed i think you have a point. and a good question for other guys in crazy hot places. do you guys play in Summer?

Yep, I played all summer long. I tended to stick to morning/evening if the time I went didn't matter but I played plenty of hot afternoon rounds too. I refuse to let the temperature prevent me from doing what I want, hot or cold.

keltik said:
now that you mention it discspeed i think you have a point. and a good question for other guys in crazy hot places. do you guys play in Summer?

yeah but after 08 where I was played the Tarheel Tournament and the RDGC during the summer here I don't think I will be playing any tourneys during the summer.

Animix said:
Yeah, I've played out at Sylmar when it was 113 out. Just drink lots of water/gatorade...

I played the Summertime Open in 2005. Holy mackerel, that was like crossing God's Anvil. Totally worth it to play the upper course :)

JimW said:
Yep, I played all summer long. I tended to stick to morning/evening if the time I went didn't matter but I played plenty of hot afternoon rounds too. I refuse to let the temperature prevent me from doing what I want, hot or cold.

You and I both know the temperature is not the issue...Its more the second part I mentioned...Lightening and torrential rain. I don't mind playing through a passing rain or some sprinkles, but the kind of tropical weather we get in the afternoons just completely soaks everything. I've also been close enough to feel a lightening strike on a tree, no bueno. Like that 100something year old oak between hole 7 and 8 @ coachman that had lightening run through the heart and totally kill it. :shock:

My first summer I played while living in FL. taught me to stash raingear in my car. I spent a few rounds soaking wet even with an umbrella.
Worst thing about the heat of summer is my pup can't come along.

keltik said:
I usually agree Frank but I remember at one of the Saturday Singles events this past February it was 9°F that morning. But that is a bit unusual for good old NC.

I will say this when I lived in Ohio and in November it was -20°F and 3 ft of snow on the ground and snowing sideways I didn't leave the house unless work or alcohol was involved.
Yes I live in Ohio , this will be fun. What courses did you play?

I play no matter what the weather is like. The problem in the winter is having any daylight left after work.

I play Deis, Canton, & Massillon.

i played last winter hen i was in texas and i plan on playing this winter...ill be in either denver or still in joliet IL so im gonna have to get some heat packs.

the begining of last winter i was in Denver and had no timeto play cause around 5 it would already be dark.
it sucked :(

nothaz said:

oddly enough i only played one course in Ohio; Freedlander Park in Wooster. I lived and worked in Wooster and wasn't too familiar with OH. I only lived there just shy of a year and didn't pick up DG until about midway through the summer. And as you well know the Ohio summer is about 6 weeks long.

stoneman said:
I play no matter what the weather is like. The problem in the winter is having any daylight left after work.

I play Deis, Canton, & Massillon.

Oh, Northeast. Too bad I am southeast =(. I frequent Sycamore Creek(my feel good -13 course), and play Ohio State, Griggs, and Blendon.

I played Plain City and Lancaster my first time today and I am hoping to hit up Alexandria, and Delaware soon.

keltik said:
nothaz said:

oddly enough i only played one course in Ohio; Freedlander Park in Wooster. I lived and worked in Wooster and wasn't too familiar with OH. I only lived there just shy of a year and didn't pick up DG until about midway through the summer. And as you well know the Ohio summer is about 6 weeks long.

Ohio Seasons:

SpringSummerFallWinter!!!

You ever play Hayne? Beautiful park ya got in NC there.

I like that coure. I've only played it the last 2 years, so I don't know how it was back then.

yeah Freedlander was a neat little course. I would love to go up there and play it again sometime. I think I could beast on it now. It's still pretty technical.

Castle Hayne Park is all the way on the coast. It's about 3-3.5 hours from where i live. But if i'm ever that way i'll definitely check it out.

I LOVE Castle Hayne's course...it kicks my ass, but I love it. My brother lives in Wilmington. I was talking about Wooster's course above. :)

stoneman said:
I LOVE Castle Hayne's course...it kicks my ass, but I love it. My brother lives in Wilmington. I was talking about Wooster's course above. :)

i suspected you were. Freedlander (Wooster) was the very first course I ever played.

EDIT: Now that I think about it Wooster is real close to Medina (the Jenkins' home town) are there any cool course over there that I missed out on due to ignorance?

Heck if I know, sorry. :lol: I don't like to spend much time driving to play, and since Dover, Wooster, Massillon, & Canton are within 30 minutes, I don't. I did play Bucyrus, and it was nice. Played Bowling Green's course that day too. Pretty nice considering it was on campus. I have a daughter at BG, that's why I played those 2 far away course.