• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you say your total score or your score in relation to par?

Lame...

If I'm keeping score I ALWAYS want exact number of throws...

I ALWAYS say my exact number of throws to a score keeper as well...

Mistakes will be made with any other answers eventually AND it's more work for the score keeper.

lol. It used to be that way around here until the courses blew up in quantity and number of tees / pins. It made talking in terms of par irrelevant because nobody was comparing apples to apples.

Does total score alone make the comparison apples to apples? Don't you still need to include the course and layout?

Depends on the course. If it's a course where I'm not familiar with the par, I'll state score. If it's a basic par 54, then I use vs par.

Well, after reading some of these posts I think announcing a score for a single hole versus your final score for a round are two different things.

If I'm playing a round and someone wants to know what I had on the previous hole I am giving them a number. Hopefully a 2 or a 3 and not a 4 or a 5. Sometimes I might not even know what par for a particular hole is during play but I know how many throws it took me to finish the hole.

After the round, when I see that the course par was 62 and my final score was 60 then I know I shot -2 and if someone asks my score for the round I'll tell them I was two down for that round.

EXACTLY! :hfive:

i think two situations are being discussed here, and let's not forget what is being asked in the title AND original post.

it's asking about TOTAL score (end of the round), NOT after each hole (basket).
however, extra explanation is always welcome.

I shall echo the choir.. Our regular course we play all par 3 regardless of what is written on the rocks haha.

Typically we count in over/under par. Then they ask if we checked our handicap.. Or we State over/under and minus the handy. I use birdie beads..

Foreign courses etc it's total score.

almost everyone I know calls it out in relation to par. I would have to think about what number par actually is on some courses lol.

Lame...

If I'm keeping score I ALWAYS want exact number of throws...

I ALWAYS say my exact number of throws to a score keeper as well...

Mistakes will be made with any other answers eventually AND it's more work for the score keeper.

:confused:
actually, you can make a mistake easier if you're trying to keep track of total score in your head the whole time, as oppose to, over or under par at any given time in the round.

actually, you can make a mistake easier if you're trying to keep track of total score in your head the whole time, as oppose to, over or under par at any given time in the round.

I believe Emoney was talking about reporting a score on an individual hole, to someone keeping a card, and not keeping score for an entire round in your head.

After a tournament round, I'll generally give a "good," "decent," or "pretty bad," as the case may be. If it's another player or someone closely related with the tournament, I'll give total score OR say it relative to the field (e.g. 7th out of 15). I never mention it relative to par on tournament rounds.

If it's a typical casual round, I barely even keep score. I answer the "how'd you play?" question pretty generally, maybe with the addition of something about quality of putting or drives, maybe with number of "birdies" or "twos," depending on the course.

My friends and I are all casual players, so we usually refer to score over or under par. Most likely because that's how we noticed scores when we watch coverage on Youtube.

I believe Emoney was talking about reporting a score on an individual hole, to someone keeping a card, and not keeping score for an entire round in your head.

true, but he started his post with "Lame" and continued with "Mistakes will be made with any other answers"

again, let's not forget what is being asked in the title AND original post.
it's asking about TOTAL score (end of the round), NOT after each hole (basket).

he came off as saying the thread is lame, and any other answer is wrong, which is not the case when paying attention to the actual question. ;)

Fair enough. The best answer is probably "it depends..."

Depends on who you're giving the score to, the situation (casual, tournament, etc.), and perhaps the course involved.

that depends on the person. some of us don't have problems with addition or memory. and getting in the habit of using total score creates milestone numbers across a given number of holes that is pretty easy to remember, especially on courses that one plays often.

Giving your score to par vs total score especially makes sense before your round is finished.
If I see someone out on the course and I ask them how they are doing and they say "I'm even" - I know exactly how they are doing.
But if they say "I'm at 50 through 16 holes" this requires me to do math and unless I know the course pars really well I don't know if they are under, over or even.

Crew I throw with the running score is based on all holes are a par 3. Play a variety of courses and layouts so 'what is par?' discussion is ignored. On holing out a player announces number of throws for the hole completed. Rarely is card kept and generally a friendly dollar is on the line.

that depends on the person. some of us don't have problems with addition or memory. and getting in the habit of using total score creates milestone numbers across a given number of holes that is pretty easy to remember, especially on courses that one plays often.

most people, and myself, don't have a problem with addition, so please don't go there. smh

next, memory is different, however i THINK most would agree, it's much simpler after each hole (basket) to go back to what you had (-2, even, +3) and change that, than have to go back and remember where you left off last hole (total score) 17 times! jmo.

most people, and myself, don't have a problem with addition, so please don't go there. smh

next, memory is different, however i THINK most would agree, it's much simpler after each hole (basket) to go back to what you had (-2, even, +3) and change that, than have to go back and remember where you left off last hole (total score) 17 times! jmo.

i'm sure you're right that most would agree. just saying it's mostly a matter of what one's familiar perspective is. most people seem to think in terms of relation to par so that seems easier to them.

on an easy nine-hole par 3 course, i know i'm trying to shoot 18. counting by 2's is simple and i know i'm disappointed with an odd number (well, more often i'm probably disappointed even with an even number, every other hole). and on a full course i usually just do that twice.

anyway, i guess my point is that facility is about habits.

Latest posts