• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop asking if you are outside the circle!

There is a vast opportunity to play disc golf for pure joy, outside the established rules. Casual play is a terrific outlet and rules can be selectively applied. When signing up for a sanctioned event, you agree to adhere and enforce PDGA rules. Not the spirit of the rules, not an emotional interpretation of the rules. The idea is once you find your disc and can get to it, you get a half minute to see your shot and execute.
You have been playing quite a while. How many calls on time have you personally witnessed or made? I can count the actual calls made by players on another in their group on one hand with fingers to spare. (I have had them come complaining to me as a TD many more times than that.)

There is a vast opportunity to play disc golf for pure joy, outside the established rules. Casual play is a terrific outlet and rules can be selectively applied. When signing up for a sanctioned event, you agree to adhere and enforce PDGA rules. Not the spirit of the rules, not an emotional interpretation of the rules. The idea is once you find your disc and can get to it, you get a half minute to see your shot and execute.

The rules state 4 things need to happen before the 30 second start.

1. A player has taken excessive time if they are present and have not thrown within 30 seconds:
    1. After the previous player has thrown; and,
    2. After they have had a reasonable amount of time to arrive at and determine the lie; and,
    3. After they are next in the throwing order; and,
    4. During which the playing area remains clear.

Look at what I found today: PDGA Members: Preview Proposed Rule Changes for 2025

See proposed 802.03 B4 in particular, which separates 30 seconds to throw from this new timeout option.

I guess I either didn't know comments on rule changes for 2025 was due on 6/30/24, or I did and plumb forgot about it.

The new proposed rule does not indicate what the player cannot do. The non-rule intro text says "where additional time is necessary to establish footing or execute the shot". So (presumably) if a player needs a timeout to measure their putt or rangefind their approach or whatever is necessary to be ready to throw, all of that is good...

I like that only 2 timeouts per round are allowed. We will find out if it is enough to (1) stem the complaints about time and (2) prevent folks from overusing the grace allowed here.

I only have a few more tournaments this year, so my snarky "forever hold your peace" strategy won't be necessary for long.

Last edited:

Latest posts