• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does a course near you have a pro-shop on it?

Do you have a course with a pro-shop near you?

• Yes

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 51.7%

• Total voters
The only Pro Shops I can recall ever having seen were the awesome one at the IDGC and the one at Trophy Lakes. Both are at least a few hours drive from me.

Ahh, how could I forget the IDGC, that place is awesome. I don't know if its still the same way, but they use to have the disc shop, museum, and then a little chill room with a big screen tv.

Hey guys OP here, just to touch on a few points that you guys have been talking about, places like The Nati Disc Shop are on a free to play course, there is no fee. I do not know how they struck a deal with the city of cincinnati to create the proshop, the workers there are definately not getting paid much. I suppose that they are leasing the building from the city and are just running the pro shop out of the building.

The one major thing that I noticed though is this and I think it's the most important thing about the creation of a pro shop on public courses.
Ever since they put in the pro-shop the course has improved so much more than in the past. Don't get me wrong it was always well maintained but ever since the pro shop went in, they have added benches to almost every tee pad, a brand new sweet putting green, they have renovated all of the teepads it seems and the course in general just looks a lot better and cleaner. Inside the pro-shop, they have a huge jar thats labeled "course renovation fund" and I always chip in and it seems like most fellows do as well because that thing is damn mear always more than half full, not just with change but with cash as well.

Now I dont know if it was the creation of the pro-shop and the money generated from it that has increased the overall quality of the course or if it was just that the city donated money to the park (doesnt seem very likely).

What are your thoughts on this subject? I'm going to go hit a round of 18 in before the rain comes! :thmbup:

Spring Vally Disc Golf Course in Spring Tx. is one of two Pro Shops I have been in. BUt for the size of the shop, they have a ton of discs.

One of Indiana's newest courses, "The Hill" @ Northview Church, as a "pro shop" inside the cafe. Innova,beginner sets and 5/6 dozen other discs. That's the only pro shop I know of, in central Indiana. Now in Peru Alen Piers private course has one of the biggest pro shops. Honeybear Campground,also in Peru, has a on site pro shop.

Burlington has a Camp store that I believe has some disc and what not.

I wouldn't mind a disc company coming out with some sort of disc vending machine. :D Don't imagine it would be too difficult to work up.

GENIUS! Imagine a world where every disc golf course had a disc vending machine on it. Of course they would probably get robbed a lot.

The two i know about are: DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz, CA and a mobile pro shop in Humboldt Co.

So cal courses with ON SITE pro shops (not a gas station down the road):
Morley Field - Pro Shop
HB - Pro Shop
La Mirada - Tennis Pro Shop with discs (DTW is around a mile away)
Sylmar - Pro Shop
El Dorado - Tennis Pro Shop with discs
Lake Casitas - General Store with discs
Sky High - Pro Shop
Van Buuren - Golf Pro Shop with discs

I read Kit Carson has a pro shop, but I didn't see one anywhere.

Goat Hill Disc Golf Course at Center City Golf Club in Oceanside, CA has a ball golf/disc golf pro shop on site. This is a pay-to-play course.

La Mirada and El Dorado are free courses set in city parks. The pro shops cater to tennis but carry discs and supplies.

Chattooga Belle Farms sells discs in their store...but it is far from being a pro shop. I'd like to see more courses with pro shops...I can see making the turn and having to buy another discs because I just put one in the drink.

Having traveled a fair amount, I have seen a few on-site pro-shops. The absolute best one I have seen is at Sandy Point Disc Golf Resort in Wisconsin. They only carry Innova, but they had more variations of rare discs than I had ever seen...plus bags, shirts, etc. I picked up a Proto Star Archon (Natural Beauty) and they had these new Glittery Champion Sidewinders that I had never seen. Like I said, only Innova; but if Innova makes it, odds are they have it.

when i lived in phoenix over the winter spinners on the green was amazing. those guys have something special there. and here in wisconsin glide is right by hiestand in madison.

Hey guys OP here, just to touch on a few points that you guys have been talking about, places like The Nati Disc Shop are on a free to play course, there is no fee. I do not know how they struck a deal with the city of cincinnati to create the proshop, the workers there are definately not getting paid much. I suppose that they are leasing the building from the city and are just running the pro shop out of the building.

The one major thing that I noticed though is this and I think it's the most important thing about the creation of a pro shop on public courses.
Ever since they put in the pro-shop the course has improved so much more than in the past. Don't get me wrong it was always well maintained but ever since the pro shop went in, they have added benches to almost every tee pad, a brand new sweet putting green, they have renovated all of the teepads it seems and the course in general just looks a lot better and cleaner. Inside the pro-shop, they have a huge jar thats labeled "course renovation fund" and I always chip in and it seems like most fellows do as well because that thing is damn mear always more than half full, not just with change but with cash as well.

Now I dont know if it was the creation of the pro-shop and the money generated from it that has increased the overall quality of the course or if it was just that the city donated money to the park (doesnt seem very likely).

What are your thoughts on this subject? I'm going to go hit a round of 18 in before the rain comes! :thmbup:

Since I work at The Nati, I thought I would give you a little input on how the shop came to be and how it has helped.

First off, if you played the course years ago, then you remember the building being vacant. We took an idea to the parks for use of the building that would be a win win for both parties. We are a private company and lease the building from Cincinnati Parks.

Secondly, course improvements. We do have a jar that is for donations and we appreciate all that goes into it. Many of the upgrades however have come from other sources. 20 brand new red Mac 3's provided by the parks. Benches on each hole installed by local boy scouts. Some funding from the GCFDA club. And some funding from us (practice baskets, driving net, etc.) Tee signs in the works.

Not to mention a bunch of hours put in by the Nati Crew, Adam Jones, and other volunteers.

Unfortunately, disc golf is relatively new to those of us in Ashland. It is gaining in popularity every day it seems, but not enough to warrant a pro shop in or near the park. There are a few stores near the park that sell discs, but they are mainly a soccer supply store that carries some Innova/Discraft discs.

Blue Angel Park has 3 18 hole courses as well as a pro shop that sells discs, snacks, bug spray, h2o, sports drinks and beer (6 & 12 pks as well as singles!)

No.

Shawnee State Park in PA sells discs at their boat rental desk... of course, it's only open seasonally. And a "PRO" shop, it's definitely not. One of the kids working there told me this past Summer what a great distance disc the Beast is. I'm not questioning that, BTW. But he also told me it held the world distance record at 500 yards. :doh: :p

I appreciated the effort, anyway. And he was really friendly, letting me look through the boxes of discs they didn't even have on their racks.