• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs don't belong on disc golf courses

I got my wife a vietnamese cookbook for Christmas. It's called 101 Ways To Wok Your Dog.

:clap::clap::clap:

Proper etiquette on the course.

Nothing can be done about it, unless the parks ban dogs. I think an "All dogs are to be kept on leash" sign is a good compromise!

I see dogs all the time and have thrown a round or 2 with people that bring their dog. If the dog is well behaved and you pick up after it fine. But if it is not well behaved (slows the game down and disturbs others) and you leave the dung there for others to deal with leave it home.:doh:

However, just as people think their children are okay no matter how badly they behave they do the same with their animals.:wall:

Please do not act in a manner that forces others to deal with your lack of parenting or animal obedience.

Last edited:
I see dogs all the time and have thrown a round or 2 with people that bring their dog. If the dog is well behaved and you pick up after it fine. But if it is not well behaved (slows the game down and disturbs others) and you leave the dung their for others to deal with leave it home.:doh:

However, just as people think their children are okay no matter how badly they behave they do the same with teir animals.:wall:

Please do not act in a manner that forces others to deal with your lack of parenting or animal obedience.

i agree 100%

It surprises me how many people have said they don't like playing with a dog in their group. Why do you play with the person that brings the dog then? If you have an issue with a well-behaved dog that gets cleaned up after and is in another group, that's a little ridiculous, it has absolutely no effect on your game. I understand that there are bad dog owners out there, but that shouldn't ruin it for everyone, just like a few douchebags on the course doesn't mean every player out there is one. I bring my dog along for most of my rounds, if there are other people or dogs around or a leash law, she stays with us, if not I let her roam a little, either way I clean up after her, and she doesn't ever touch a disc or go up to another person or dog without permission. She loves being there and we love taking her along, so in any public parks that allow dogs, she'll be there with us.

It surprises me how many people have said they don't like playing with a dog in their group. Why do you play with the person that brings the dog then? If you have an issue with a well-behaved dog that gets cleaned up after and is in another group, that's a little ridiculous, it has absolutely no effect on your game. I understand that there are bad dog owners out there, but that shouldn't ruin it for everyone, just like a few douchebags on the course doesn't mean every player out there is one. I bring my dog along for most of my rounds, if there are other people or dogs around or a leash law, she stays with us, if not I let her roam a little, either way I clean up after her, and she doesn't ever touch a disc or go up to another person or dog without permission. She loves being there and we love taking her along, so in any public parks that allow dogs, she'll be there with us.

You have just validated what I said. I have read your posts enough to know you are a player with respect for others. I love having someone with the dog on the course if it is well behaved. To me they add to the ambiance of the game.

But if they are not leave them home!

If people can control their dog and pick up their poop then it's all good my group or another. Then there are the lower10% who ruin it for everyone else. At my home course it is often others not playing disc who don't pick up their dogs mess. That is the worst!! I always step in it. :)

Dogs aren't the problem... its their owners. I always see this one guy at the course who is constantly yelling at his dog... the dog of course is not on a leash and he is constantly yelling for his dog. SERIOUSLY? IF YOU WANT YOUR DOG TO BE BY YOUR SIDE AT ALL TIMES, HAVE HIM TIED TO YOUR PERSON.

I step up to the tee.... into my x step, I plant, pull back -HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK GET OVER HERE NOW!!!!!!- and then shank my throw. :wall::thmbdown::gross::mad:

I love dogs, its not their fault. A dog running all over the course isn't going to bother me as long as it doesn't chew my discs. The dog I refer to here never had any interest in any disc... just trees and squirrels. DOGS have a place on the disc golf course... but not bad dog owners.

Dogs aren't the problem... its their owners. I always see this one guy at the course who is constantly yelling at his dog... the dog of course is not on a leash and he is constantly yelling for his dog. SERIOUSLY? IF YOU WANT YOUR DOG TO BE BY YOUR SIDE AT ALL TIMES, HAVE HIM TIED TO YOUR PERSON.

I step up to the tee.... into my x step, I plant, pull back -HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK GET OVER HERE NOW!!!!!!- and then shank my throw. :wall::thmbdown::gross::mad:

I love dogs, its not their fault. A dog running all over the course isn't going to bother me as long as it doesn't chew my discs. The dog I refer to here never had any interest in any disc... just trees and squirrels. DOGS have a place on the disc golf course... but not bad dog owners.
I have no problem with dogs or cats on a course as long as they are well behaved and on a leash. There are many types of pet owners. Some responsible and some not. If you are the one that lives in an apartment complex or 1 of those crammed in townhouse communities and you walk around with your dog not on a leash so the dog just runs out in front of cars so as to expose 1 of us to the F----d up experience of running over an animal or someones pet then I don't want you or your dog anywhere near me.:thmbdown:

I personally like having dogs on the course. Has anybody that has been complaining actually asked their friend to leave the dog at home, or are you just venting on the forum? I wonder what would happen if you respectfully requested your friend leave the dog behind every once in a while.

Dogs at tourneys are a slightly different story. One stray squirrel could cost someone a stroke. Dogs on casual rounds are totally fine.

Dogs at tourneys are a slightly different story. One stray squirrel could cost someone a stroke. Dogs on casual rounds are totally fine.

I do agree with this, my dog stays home for tournaments or league play, I don't think it's fair to have something that could potentially distract other players in a competitive setting.

Has anyone brought a cat to the course?:\

I had a friend who took her cat everywhere, and she played with us once. She brought her cat in a shoulder bag, and it stayed in there the whole round looking at everything, even when she set the bag down to throw.

Carousel park in Deleware circles a dog park. I saw over 50 dogs and not a one was on leash and they still didn't bother us.

I don't know who said it then removed it but it was a well done burn. Something to the extent of "It's selfish to lock your dog up and enjoy the wilderness by yourself."