• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Ace Pot Etiquette

Most people here usually talk about it before the round. Some people don't like to split, that's their prerogative. If you don't say anything before the round never assume your partner wants to split anything.

Around here the only people that mention splitting an ace pot are the individuals that can't throw far enough to get an ace on their own. Anyway I've never hit one in a doubles round. Definitely give some but doubt half, would depend on how I'm doing financially lol.

IMO your ace your money...however I have been in doubles where we agreed to split if one of us hit one beforehand.

It should always be split. You are on a "TEAM" in doubles. All winnings should be split. When you play doubles that other person has a direct effect on your results on every hole. Whether it be mentally making you more relaxed before the throw or physically parking the basket to allow a riskier shot.
The reason why ppl don't split sometimes is because the person running league doesn't clarify the ace rules. I believe that the ace rules and pot size should be stated before every doubles league day. That way there is no confusion or butt hurt situations

I play in two weekly dubs every week and a third one a couple times a month. In the three years I've been doing so I've seen 4 pots reach over $800... several in the $4-500 range.... not once was it not split when both players on a team were paid up. First dubs I played my partner aced for $180, handed me half without me even knowing thats how it was.

The $880 one from end of last year was hit by a guy whose partner was playing having not paid into the pot at all, think it was only his second or third time playing dubs, ever. He still handed the guy $50 even though if his partner had hit one it wouldn't have counted.

Speaking of which, once the pot reached like $700, players who didn't already have a certain number of weeks paid in, weren't allowed to show up and pay the $12 or whatever it was, to pay up and be included. Is that standard everywhere?

It has to be a regional/local thing. I don't play doubles much anymore, but played a lot from about 1997-2010 or so, mostly on a shorter, ace-friendly course.

I never knew of an ace pot to be shared. Or even discussed. The thought was that the ace, like a CTP, was won by the thrower. Of course, being a shorter course, it was rarely a huge amount.

The bonus for the partner was that the ace gained the team 1 or 2 strokes on everyone else, increasing the chances that they cashed, or cashed higher, in the final results.

But it's a "When in Rome..." situation. Local custom should prevail. If local custom is to share, and you don't, you'll earn the disdain you receive.

Particularly in places where ace pots accumulate into large sums of money.

Last edited:
It has to be a regional/local thing. I don't play doubles much anymore, but played a lot from about 1997-2010 or so, mostly on a shorter, ace-friendly course.

I never knew of an ace pot to be shared. Or even discussed. The thought was that the ace, like a CTP, was won by the thrower. Of course, being a shorter course, it was rarely a huge amount.

The bonus for the partner was that the ace gained the team 1 or 2 strokes on everyone else, increasing the chances that they cashed, or cashed higher, in the final results.

But it's a "When in Rome..." situation. Local custom should prevail. If local custom is to share, and you don't, you'll earn the disdain you receive.

Particularly in places where ace pots accumulate into large sums of money.

Word.

I think it's a nice gesture to split the ace pot, and always have, no matter the circumstances. What is etiquette in regards to thanking your partner for splitting the ace pot?

I hit my first dubs ace the summer before last for an ace pot that was a little over $150. The entire round my partner sucked, and I don't think we used a single drive of his, and he missed all putts aside from 1. On top of that, he let his tippy dog run wild, and never bothered restraining him. The dog liked to stand in front of the tee box, and bark at you as you lined up your shot, then jump and try to grab it after you threw. Anyway, after I hit the ace, I donated my half to the course, and gave the other half to my partner. I assumed he would follow suit, and donate his half as well. Instead, he kept it all, and never thanked me. I will still split the ace pot, and hope others do as well. Do you keep all the money at dubs when you win if your partner sucks?

I figure if I ever get lucky enough to hit an ace, I'll give my partner 20-25% of the ace pot. That's the least I can do to compensate them for having to be my partner in dubs - Lord knows they have no chance of cashing having to carry me around for 18 holes ;)

Seriously, though (though people who have played with me before know how serious that last paragraph actually is), unless we agree on something else, I'm going to at least offer 20%. They may not take it, and that's fine, but I feel better having offered. It's a team effort, after all.

I think it's a nice gesture to split the ace pot, and always have, no matter the circumstances. What is etiquette in regards to thanking your partner for splitting the ace pot?

I hit my first dubs ace the summer before last for an ace pot that was a little over $150. The entire round my partner sucked, and I don't think we used a single drive of his, and he missed all putts aside from 1. On top of that, he let his tippy dog run wild, and never bothered restraining him. The dog liked to stand in front of the tee box, and bark at you as you lined up your shot, then jump and try to grab it after you threw. Anyway, after I hit the ace, I donated my half to the course, and gave the other half to my partner. I assumed he would follow suit, and donate his half as well. Instead, he kept it all, and never thanked me. I will still split the ace pot, and hope others do as well. Do you keep all the money at dubs when you win if your partner sucks?

In a situation like that I'd charge my partner double.

its really your decision. I would atleast give my partner what they paid to play if its someone I know and like I'd give them some more, but I wouldnt give them half.

Fun fact my only ace that paid was in a BYOP doubles league and my partner couldn't make it that week so the money was all mine. I did buy him into the ace pool the following week though.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was just curious as to if there is a standard protocol for splitting an ace fund when playing doubles? We had an ace in our random draw weekly doubles the other day.

Do most people split the pot down the middle with their partner? Keep it all for themselves if they hit the ace? My thought it you split it with the partner since you are a team, but just wanted to get an idea of what is considered the best move.

It seems to me to be the right thing to do....splitting CTP and ace pots with your partner. But that's me. I always did that....until I didn't.

Last summer at our weekly dubs a player -- let's call him "Kurtis" -- who is well known and well-established as not only a good player but a generous one who always splits pots got paired with another guy, who we'll call "Doosh" for the purposes of this story.

Kurtis always splits, but always talks to his partner before two-minutes is called to make sure the team is on the same page. I know because I was paired with him twice last summer. (We cashed both times and won one.) He claims he did that with Doosh...and I believe him.

Well, after the round is over, come to find out Doosh won the CTP. Kurtis was waiting for his half (as per the agreement) but Doosh never ponied up. When Kurtis called him on it, Doosh denied the deal. Kurtis was livid. Not so much concerned about the money but the principle of the matter, Kurtis proceeded to verbally rake Doosh over the coals in front of the entire 40+ player pool. Doosh remains indignant and eventually, as a peace-offering, donates half his CTP cash to next weeks CTP pot.....not his partner. And let's be clear: This wasn't a "big money" event. The CTP was about $18.00.

Could Kurtis have handled the situation better? Absolutely. He feels bad about how he presented himself. Nevertheless, I side with him. Even if I wasn't a guy who normally split the pot, if my partner made that big of a stink over a few bucks I'd just give him half and hope that I never got paired with him again. And as an epilogue, I've never seen Doosh show his face at another weekly dubs since.

Sorry I took the scenic route to answer your question, but I would definitely sort out the splitting-or-not-splitting deal with your partner BEFORE you tee off.....and in FRONT of the other other team so there's witnesses, in case there's a showdown at the payout. I do that every time I play dubs now.

Last edited:
This just seems odd to me. I would never expect my partner to share either a CTP or an ace pot.

Obviously, discuss it before. If the player ponied up the money for the ace pot I'd split it even if we forgot to discuss it prior. If he knowingly decided not to pay and I hit an ace, then I'd use my winnings buy him a single scoop of ice cream of his own choosing and nothing more.