• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

drives: missing to the right

I'm about ready to quit the game because of this same problem. Footwork, timing, right pec, weight forward, I can't figure it out. 8 out of 10 drives are going 50 feet offline to the right, the other 2 are 50 feet offline to the left. I've read all the articles, watched the videos, worked from the hit back, dropped the x-step, added the x-step, whatever. I give up.

freeus said:
I'm about ready to quit the game because of this same problem. Footwork, timing, right pec, weight forward, I can't figure it out. 8 out of 10 drives are going 50 feet offline to the right, the other 2 are 50 feet offline to the left. I've read all the articles, watched the videos, worked from the hit back, dropped the x-step, added the x-step, whatever. I give up.

You didn't mention angle. If you're doing a run up with your throws the angle at which your body is going matters. If you're throwing to the right, you need to adjust your body to fix that. Same with left. Once you learn what angle your run up should be, you can then start throwing more consistently.

A good way to measure this is to look at your right shoulder (RHBH). It should be pointing to where you want your disc to go.

Obviously if your throwing 50 feet offline to the left AND right, you're inconsistant. You're still learning how to play the sport, if you want to quit go ahead. However, that's part of learning. I personally don't care about kids who give up when times are rough.

But really, your comment seems very negative and I for sure am not going to cater to your shenanigans. I know DGR is here to help, but make sure your attitude is positive and willing to learn.

When I miss to the right is usually because my hips are coming through too early and I'm not focusing my leg power forward enough.

tigel said:
Obviously if your throwing 50 feet offline to the left AND right, you're inconsistant. You're still learning how to play the sport, if you want to quit go ahead. However, that's part of learning. I personally don't care about kids who give up when times are rough.

But really, your comment seems very negative and I for sure am not going to cater to your shenanigans. I know DGR is here to help, but make sure your attitude is positive and willing to learn.

Well, yeah, ok. This "kid" is over 50 and I've been working on this for two years. I'm frustrated, that's all.

Parks said:
When I miss to the right is usually because my hips are coming through too early and I'm not focusing my leg power forward enough.

Thanks Parks, I'll take a look at that.

/threadjack

No problem.

Also, if I remember correctly, you're in Spokane, too.

If you ever see me out at Downriver or Highbridge, I'd be happy to see if I could help identify some problems and suggest solutions (no promises on quality, I'm not the best teacher :D).

I look a lot like the guy in my avatar picture, and my name on here is my last name.

freeus said:

Remember, the disc will go exactly where you release it. Just throw so that your hand is aimed at the target as you release the disc. This will solve many of your problems. It sounds like your grip needs work since you seem to either release early or too late.

Latest posts