• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Rituals

I stand behind the tee pad and invison the flight of the disc I'd like to achieve. Something similar to a Jomez follow flight, just in my head. Then I walk up to the end of the teepad on that imaginary line. Then I walk back to the back of the pad and throw. I started doing this so "crooked" tee pads don't get into my head. I can't count the number of times I'd try to throw a straight shot and my runup would be straight down the center of the tee pad. Then I throw straight into a tree. Then I realize if I would of ran up on an angle (not down the center of the pad), I would have hit the line. I have a habit of subconsciously aiming with the teepad.

I slowly rotate the disc in my hand until I know the tooling is away from my grip. I'll make a few wrist snaps with my disc until I feel the angle of release I want on that drive. All of this after I went to the front of the pad to get a mental picture and feel of how my stance will be on release of my disc.

After all that I throw it completely different than I had planned. :wall:

I didn't know I was doing it, but on video I've seen that while I'm lining up my drive and staring down the fairway, I'll make a waving or flapping motion with the disc in my right hand, like I'm fanning something.

Not really waving the disc, but I do a wrist snap back and forth as I line up to throw, kind of a reminder to have good snap on my throw.

I like to simulate being drunk by doing dizzy bat a dozen times before my drive. Its a real confidence booster.

Stepping up to a tee pad on a downhill 500ft drive I do a wind check then visualize the disc in flight from tee to basket. I then proceed with my run up and launch a crush of the likes I can't remember. Thoughts race my mind... that felt good... it should be right on line... As I turn to watch the disc I can see it flying as my mind had imagined and it is weaving it's way to the bullseye. But wait it appears to be chain seeking and has a chance... no way. Because sound travels slow I can see chains fly and watch my disc ricochet around the basket only to be spit out followed by the sounds of chains echoing throughout the course. My mind races again... you got to be sh#tting me... still the greatest game in the world.....

Nomar! (I always thought his birth certificate was read backwards or something. Like, his name was supposed to be Ramon.)

And I love the term "vaguely justifiable." I shall incorporate it into my vernacular, with proper credit given. :thumbup:

You're close. It is "Ramon" backwards. He's named after his father or grandfather or something, but they didn't want another Ramon in the family.

As for me? I walk out the footwork and back up while holding the disc. Then I kick the ground like a bull because I inevitably step on something on the teepad. So I redo step 1. Then I change the position of the disc in my hand. Then I look at the front of the teepad and wonder if I should start over again since I changed something. But I don't. And I throw the disc into a tree.

Well, when I was young, I would sacrifice a small animal before teeing. As I aged, I slowed down and could no longer catch the critters reliably. I found that burning candles wasn't as effective, plus, anybody I played with got really testy about the 5-minute ritual the candles required. I ascribe my shorter drives these days to the fact that I can no longer chase down the critters for sacrifice--the dark gods of the tee no longer favor me.

Yup.

Habits? Rituals?
Yes, I habitually suck at disc golf.

Dynamic I thought you were gonna say poop, I was laughing so hard

Don't joke about that. I always poop before my first hole of the day. Never want to get to hole 6, 7, or 8 with nothing but a tree to squat behind and leaves to freshen up with.