• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Open Coverage Air Dates Set on CBS Sports Network

Overall opinion was this was fantastic. There's only so much that can be done in an hour (really 45 minutes).

Positives:
- The fact that this was using CBS graphics that we see on the PGA Tour can't be overlooked. The scoring, end of round score cards, etc. Major major win. So much professionalism added.

- The player profiles were absolutely incredible. So much credibility.

- They were very careful to not say disc names, only types. "Throwing a mid range" "Throwing a fairway driver." This was so important because absolutely no one except disc golfers has any clue what a buzzzz is, etc.

- They showed some bad shots and misses. This wasn't a best of montage. That strengthened how hard the game is. The clips of all the misses on 16 was brilliant and matched what you see on PGA coverage of hard holes.

- The hole previews with landing zones were outstanding.

- Can't overstate the importance of the mini segments. Adam Zucker is their desk guy on college football game days - even see him on CBS some - and he's an avid player and active PDGA member. That spot he did was huge. The spot with pushing the model of using the disc golf course and the course was huge. As much as it pains me to say this, using Brodie in that package was smart too.

- For a course that is wide open, they were smart to feature the holes that they did. We say hyzers, sidearms and rollers. also smart to feature the wooded tunnel hole. Good to see a mix.

- Completely stayed away from ratings. Been too hard to explain.

Negatives:
- Jerm and Nate are great for Jomez, but I was disappointed to see them on this. I really thought / hoped Adam Zucker would do play by play and then Jerm and / or Nate could do color. This would allow them to use a little more if their personality. There was some awkward silence randomly but these guys aren't professional broadcasters.

- There's only so much time, so some of the editing was choppy. I get why we would miss random shots, but the jumping around was a bit hard to get used to.

- Even though it would have cut into the time, I would have loved to see more post round interview clips. The package with Paige was outstanding - I wish there was one of Paul doing something similar.

- The OB, even though it was shown in the hole preview, was very hard to see. I would have like to seen a graphic showing the line. It would show that people are taking it out over the OB and bringing it back.

The channel its on, is in the YouTube TV package here... not sure if its the same in other countries.

Oh and the vids that come out for Jomez will be there normal style vids apparently. This version is just for the broadcast. At least that's what the DD guys said during the companion stream.

Unfortunately you can't watch the channel on YouTube TV outside of the US and you can't simply use a vpn because to sign up even for the free trial of YouTube TV you have to have a US based PayPal account or credit card. So basically while this is great for the sport in the US, due to broadcast rights it is giving the finger to disc golfers in the rest of the world.

An important target for this media experiment is not really disc golfers but general sports fans to see their potential to become viewers/spectators, in this case, limited to U.S. (& Canada?) sports fans due to media accessibility. While some disc golfers may be curious to see the action with a known outcome from several months ago, most of those disc golfers are already viewers via the DGPT channel provided and known to disc golfers, even if blacked out without paying to see these shows.

I was keeping an eye on Twitter yesterday during the broadcast. I didn't see anything about it that wasn't already a disc golfer comment on it. Not sure if that matters or not, but there didn't seem to be any waves from general people posting.

I was keeping an eye on Twitter yesterday during the broadcast. I didn't see anything about it that wasn't already a disc golfer comment on it. Not sure if that matters or not, but there didn't seem to be any waves from general people posting.

I must have told two dozen, non disc golfer, friends and family about the broadcast. Every one of them politely said they would pass. My mom asked if I was in it........then passed. :(

I posted it on the CFB recruiting site I use. Not sure if anyone actually bothered to watch it but I got a few likes.

Yeah, this was definitely aimed at non players or people that have played once or twice.
(This is exactly how NBC covers curling - a lot of skipped shots and overly simplified shot descriptions.)
Mcbeth had 54 throws in round 1, how many did they actually show, maybe 10?
I'm guessing we will see more shots from round 2 since they probably won't have as many "side stories", but I could be wrong. I guess with only 45 minutes of actual time there is no way to show even 1/3 of the throws.
I thought it was great to see disc golf on national TV and I hope it leads to more coverage.

I will certainly be interested in the viewership numbers. I think this will tell us a lot.

Are we bigger than we thought? Is this is a launching point towards investing in television coverage?

Are we no where near where we think? Maybe we should dial it back and focus on growth of players?

My bet is the later. But I can hope for the former.

Yeah, this was definitely aimed at non players or people that have played once or twice.
(This is exactly how NBC covers curling - a lot of skipped shots and overly simplified shot descriptions.)
Mcbeth had 54 throws in round 1, how many did they actually show, maybe 10?
I'm guessing we will see more shots from round 2 since they probably won't have as many "side stories", but I could be wrong. I guess with only 45 minutes of actual time there is no way to show even 1/3 of the throws.
I thought it was great to see disc golf on national TV and I hope it leads to more coverage.

Growing up in Detroit, watching curling from youth, I find the NBC coverage irritating. Curling is another example of a sport that is known by a LOT more people, played by a LOT more people, infinitely more watchable and far older than ours.

I will certainly be interested in the viewership numbers. I think this will tell us a lot.

Are we bigger than we thought? Is this is a launching point towards investing in television coverage?

Are we no where near where we think? Maybe we should dial it back and focus on growth of players?

My bet is the later. But I can hope for the former.

I bet you are right, but also hope you are not.

Growing up in Detroit, watching curling from youth, I find the NBC coverage irritating. Curling is another example of a sport that is known by a LOT more people, played by a LOT more people, infinitely more watchable and far older than ours.
Don't watch it outside of the Olympics but I'm glued to it during, lol.

My mom asked if I was in it........then passed. :(

Read this, and had to laugh!

On the bright side, you probably would've finished a few strokes ahead of me, thus avoiding DFL. :p

Boring as all heck in my opinion. They need towers to show the disc flight correctly and they need to remove the chains in order to make the putting exciting.

Players should also dress better for a major network production. But then again this is disc golf which will gain any major monetary traction because professionalism just isn't their thing.

Boring as all heck in my opinion. They need towers to show the disc flight correctly and they need to remove the chains in order to make the putting exciting.

Players should also dress better for a major network production. But then again this is disc golf which will gain any major monetary traction because professionalism just isn't their thing.

Out on the chainless baskets but I'm with you on the dress and such. Disc golf has a reputation that it's going to have to work hard to shed if it really wants to start gaining monetary gain from non sports/disc golf related companies. 4 hours on an off brand sports channel that's tucked away on just about every channel directory isn't going to cut it.

I would be interested in seeing the numbers compared to say the WNBA.

So suit and tie or what's good enough for your sensibilities?

Disc golf has a reputation that it's going to have to work hard to shed if it really wants to start gaining monetary gain from non sports/disc golf related companies.

I suggest researching origins of Xgames, Shaun White, etc. Maybe disc golf should embrace a more young, brash, entertaining ideology instead of wanting to be ball golf with frisbees. The majority of disc golf pros are fairly young, yet we encourage a boring bland persona.

Sadly, all infinitely more watchable, played by millions more people, known by billions more people, played for hundreds more years and more entertaining. :(

well then...surely the 2019 Cornhole Singles Championship would have millions of views.. right? Or.....maybe....only around 40k after a full year on youtube. hmm...

I suggest researching origins of Xgames, Shaun White, etc. Maybe disc golf should embrace a more young, brash, entertaining ideology instead of wanting to be ball golf with frisbees. The majority of disc golf pros are fairly young, yet we encourage a boring bland persona.

I get that...I'm aware of the upbringing of the XGames and Shaun White, but I don't ever really remember any drug use during that time. I don't think it was until after his career that he came out and talked about all the sex and drugs that was had and even that was done in Olympic Village.

I saw the weed commercial last night and busted out laughing. Some exec at CBS knows his audience.

Latest posts