• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

So, I currently bag a Felon for very stable shots and an FD for fairly straight to a little fade shots. I am in between an Eagle and a Teebird for that in between shot. I would prefer it be an Eagle, so here is your chance to convince me.

An FD and a TeeBird overlap a bit depending on the plastic. An Eagle might overlap a little with your Felon (as most Felons are less beef than a Firebird). What you are looking for is a beefy TeeBird or a mellow Eagle. So the new Barsby Eagle might foot the bill, but it will be a little pricey and definitely hard to replace.

So- get a champion Eagle around 170 and let it cook in your car window for 3-4 days, sand the bottom on a tee pad to remove ALL he flashing and you are good.

Or just get a Star TeeBird and leave the Eagles for us!

Eagle-lovers:

I'm trying to fill a fairway slot for BH shots around 300-330' with low ceilings, straightish flight on a slight hyzerflip, and a reliable but not meathook fade at the end. This disc would be for shots where I'd potentially think about launching a mid for control at that distance, but either want to power down or don't have much height to work with, want a bit of skip, etc.

I'm looking for a little more turn than the Teebirds I've encountered that will flip-to-flat at that 300'+ distance. After searching around the Eagle became interesting to me, but I read alot about run variation and it was a lot to process. I'm interested in any advice about (1) Eagles that fit this profile out of the box, (2) Eagles that beat into this sweetspot after a bit.

In particular, I'm interested in any of your experiences with recent INNfuse Eagles, which seem to have a bit of dome.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether please advise!

Eagle-lovers:

I'm trying to fill a fairway slot for BH shots around 300-330' with low ceilings, straightish flight on a slight hyzerflip, and a reliable but not meathook fade at the end. This disc would be for shots where I'd potentially think about launching a mid for control at that distance, but either want to power down or don't have much height to work with, want a bit of skip, etc.

I'm looking for a little more turn than the Teebirds I've encountered that will flip-to-flat at that 300'+ distance. After searching around the Eagle became interesting to me, but I read alot about run variation and it was a lot to process. I'm interested in any advice about (1) Eagles that fit this profile out of the box, (2) Eagles that beat into this sweetspot after a bit.

In particular, I'm interested in any of your experiences with recent INNfuse Eagles, which seem to have a bit of dome.

Sounds like you are looking for the Eagle-L mold which is now the Infinite Exodus. The current eagle mold is the X mold and the inncolor ones are as well. The flight of those I think is on the overstable side and wouldnt fit your description.

Eagle-lovers:

Less domey eagle-x's fit this bill, at least they beat in there (I have found some iNNfuse and CG Barsby that fit this description). They can start out quite stable.

The L's/Exoduses I've bagged all beat into a place where they didn't really fight back at the end, tho they started out in a really nice place.

Eagle-x was the first mold I really had confidence throwing in lighter weights. Someone put a 161-gram late-run CE Eagle in my hand at some point and I need to pour out a 40 for that disc. That thing was so daggum workable. I really like the current champion run for shaping shots at lower weights, too. Heavier champs are domey beef these days tho.

Eagle-lovers:

Honestly, the Innova factory store Gstar eagle L's would fly this way (stay at max weight, lower weights have been poptop trash), a 160 champ probably would beat in to this after a bit,
But the BeST option in my opinion for this is…
a DX Eagle X-> they fly great, with more turn and more fade than a DX Teebird. Great glide and distance and they last a surprisingly long time. The Eagle was designed for DX after all.

Sounds like you are looking for the Eagle-L mold which is now the Infinite Exodus. The current eagle mold is the X mold and the inncolor ones are as well. The flight of those I think is on the overstable side and wouldnt fit your description.

Less domey eagle-x's fit this bill, at least they beat in there (I have found some iNNfuse and CG Barsby that fit this description). They can start out quite stable.

Honestly, the Innova factory store Gstar eagle L's would fly this way (stay at max weight, lower weights have been poptop trash), a 160 champ probably would beat in to this after a bit,
But the BeST option in my opinion for this is…
a DX Eagle X-> they fly great, with more turn and more fade than a DX Teebird. Great glide and distance and they last a surprisingly long time. The Eagle was designed for DX after all.

Uh oh, I feel my itchy disc-purchasing trigger finger twitching.

Super helpful, thank you. I think I'll start from the top and try an Exodus and work my way down if needed. Will report back!

The G-star Eagle X I picked up recently is such a great flier out of the box. Fairly flat but surprisingly glidey. Basically true to the flight numbers for me at about 300' - 325' of power.

Which plastic Exoduses/Exodises/Exodi??? are you throwing.

Older champion plastic, max weight on the Ls. I have an s-line exodus that is 170, stamped as Run 1. It is currently seeing use as a hyzerflip escape disc. I had a Withers splatter star and it was pretty stable but did not stay with me long enough to find out how it would season -- it is in the bottom of a pond somewhere on the Texas coast because it definitively did not fight back (to be fair, I did kinda snaphook it).

They will come back if you get enough air under them but I tend to throw them on low lines. They've often been my best bet to keep up in the woods with the dudes who can throw mids super long.

Older champion plastic, max weight on the Ls. I have an s-line exodus that is 170, stamped as Run 1. It is currently seeing use as a hyzerflip escape disc. I had a Withers splatter star and it was pretty stable but did not stay with me long enough to find out how it would season -- it is in the bottom of a pond somewhere on the Texas coast because it definitively did not fight back (to be fair, I did kinda snaphook it).

They will come back if you get enough air under them but I tend to throw them on low lines. They've often been my best bet to keep up in the woods with the dudes who can throw mids super long.

Sounds like we throw very similar things. My L's are old champ and the Exodus I throw are also s-blend from run 1. The two run 1's I have are both on the straight to very slightly OS. You been beating the run 1 up for a while, and has it just beaten up similarly to when a champ L beats in?

Anyone throw any Exodi/Eagle L in I-blend? Super Flippy, or just more mellow w/ a reliable finish?

I do
(I'll qualify my statement...I'm 50, at 3300 feet, and probably throw 375 (maybe 400 on a max hit)

Mine are lighter at 170 (so 174/5s might give you a bit more H/LSS)

I use them as a flip to flat for straight and with edge for turnovers

not super flippy at my altitude but also not what I would call "reliable finish"

I'd say you are more likely to find (at lower elevation) a flip to flat, flip to turn, hold and limited to no fade

For bag simplicity (I really like the Oakley Exodus) I'm using the I-Blend in place of a Crave or understable FD

I had dabbled with a JLS and the CG Exodus and I Blend give me better flights and more options

With all due respect, perhaps a thread for the Exodus / EL is appropriate?

This thread is dedicated to the Eagle and it is getting very cluttered with a discussion of a second cousin to the Eagle that does not look, feel or fly like my favorite disc at all.

Am I the only one to feel this way?

This thread is dedicated to the Eagle and it is getting very cluttered with a discussion of a second cousin to the Eagle that does not look, feel or fly like my favorite disc at all.

Makes sense, it was helpful to understand the lineage and difference between the Exodus & Eagle types in my case, but I can move any Exodus-specific stuff to the "Infinite Discs Exodus!?" thread for any more on that.

Back to the Eagle proper: a local vendor was selling a sole recent INNfuse Eagle and I couldn't resist nabbing it (and I'll admit it was mostly because I like the purdy stamp). It is somewhat domey. It felt really comfortable BH but less so FH (I usually like pretty flat for FH). I've only had a few throws so far. I get maybe a little turn on it when thrown close to flat when trying for ~300', but it's definitely on the beefy side. I'll see how the slightly more mellow options look out for the reasons above, but will give this bad boy a spin sometimes too since it's different enough from my other molds (though I do wince at scraping up that nice color!)

Considering at least half of the premium plastic discs on the market pre-2010 labeled "Eagle" were Ls, probably not. Ls are Eagles, even if we both prefer the X configuration. Recently they have been stamped with a different marketer's marque, but they are still Eagles.

Sounds like we throw very similar things. My L's are old champ and the Exodus I throw are also s-blend from run 1. The two run 1's I have are both on the straight to very slightly OS. You been beating the run 1 up for a while, and has it just beaten up similarly to when a champ L beats in?

Yep. A little faster turn than the champs currently, but controllable.

Sorry for the multiple posts -- my DGCR-fu is not strong enough to quote more than one person in a post.

Eagles are beefy boiz. I've been a Teebird3 guy, but recently got a champion and a '22 Barsby. On BHs neither turns at all - they fly like mini-firebirds. I'm getting some beautiful -1/3 S-turns out of my forehands with them though.

Hoping to beat the snot out of the Barsby and see if I can get that turn on a BH as well.