• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Eagle vs. Teebird

DJBackhand

Bogey Member
I'm looking for a go-to overstable fairway driver that won't take a ton of power to fly right.

I currently have a 170g Champ Teebird, but I'm considering taking it out and getting star plastic and lightening up a bit on the weight, maybe to 167g.

I also see that Innova says the Eagle is a little bit easier to throw than the Teebird so I like the thought of that.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

I bag a star teebird (pretty beat) and a champion Eagle. I would never call the teebird an overstable fairway. It's stable but will turn when thrown with power with decent glide. The Eagle on the other hand is an overstable fairway for me...turns very little with a dependable and hard fade at the end. My Eagle is fairly glideless. I pull out the teebird for tailwinds and shots that need to forward penetrate instead of fade. The Eagle is almost guaranteed to fade nicely. I think they work together well but not that similar discs in general.

You should give a c-line cd2 a try. They are definitely easy throwers. Very versatile as well. I've never thrown an eagle, so I can't say much there. You might try an s-line cd2 a try as well. They are definitely not quite as stable as the c-line, but won't turn and burn either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a Discmania FD. I find them to be a lot straighter than teebirds with little turn and a lot of glide. I'm not a Discmania genius, but I think the FD is a teebird/leopard hybrid.

A fresh champ leopard on second thought is also very straight and can reach good faitway distances. Both are good choices!

There are a bunch of long old threads on Teebirds vs. Eagles on the board, search for them to find masses of good information to your question.

Your plan to give a lighter Star Teebird a try will probably work out. My really light (perhaps too light) 158g Star Teebird is so much less overstable than my 175g Champion Teebird. My 170g Star and DX Eagles are beauties as well. For me, my Champion Teebird is my OS, windfighter, utility disc, whereas all of the other mentioned discs I use for ``normal'' drives. This seems to be what you search for.

IMO Teebirds and Eagles aren't that much of a difference, usually both can get the job done. This at least is my conclusion from what I've read in all those old threads here: Some favor the Teebird (a bit better for straight shots), some favor the Eagle (a bit better for flexshots) ... but in the end they don't give or take much. I'm currently bagging both but I could as well go with either one of them.

A star teebird 166-169g is a great option for what you have described. /thread :popcorn:

Try a Discmania FD. I find them to be a lot straighter than teebirds with little turn and a lot of glide. I'm not a Discmania genius, but I think the FD is a teebird/leopard hybrid.

A fresh champ leopard on second thought is also very straight and can reach good faitway distances. Both are good choices!

I like the flight numbers on that FD! I've never really paid too much attention to discmania discs until now. I may get an FD as a point and shoot type of disc, one I can use on tight tunnel shots. Thanks for pointing my attention to this!

I bag a star teebird (pretty beat) and a champion Eagle. I would never call the teebird an overstable fairway. It's stable but will turn when thrown with power with decent glide. The Eagle on the other hand is an overstable fairway for me...turns very little with a dependable and hard fade at the end. My Eagle is fairly glideless. I pull out the teebird for tailwinds and shots that need to forward penetrate instead of fade. The Eagle is almost guaranteed to fade nicely. I think they work together well but not that similar discs in general.

This sounds exactly opposite of how I would describe my experience.

You might want to check out the g* Teebird. It's straighter and has a bit more glide and carry than the champions IMO. Goes further as well, great straight to fade disc.

How far do you throw fairways?

Gstar Teebirds are great and less likely to be on the OS side, just straight to fade.

Also definitely look into the FD if you want an easy to control fairway that you don't have to throw hard, but can definitely handle a hard throw. It won't take wind as well as a Teebird but is more neutral, has good glide, and is still accurate enough to use on open shots rather than just a tunnel disc.

How far do you throw fairways?

Gstar Teebirds are great and less likely to be on the OS side, just straight to fade.

Also definitely look into the FD if you want an easy to control fairway that you don't have to throw hard, but can definitely handle a hard throw. It won't take wind as well as a Teebird but is more neutral, has good glide, and is still accurate enough to use on open shots rather than just a tunnel disc.

The last time I checked, I think I was throwing a little under 300 feet with fairways. This may be due in part to disc selection and technique, both of which I'm in the process of revamping.

This sounds exactly opposite of how I would describe my experience.

To me as well. But if you take into account that he bases his comment on a beat Star Teebird and a Champion Eagle, these experiences become plausible. For same plastic and condition they would be different, however, on average.

Yep beat star teebird. I guess I've been throwing it long enough for it to seem normal. So, you guys finds Eagles less overstable than Teebirds? I will say that plastic type makes a pretty big difference in these older style molds so who knows.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Try out DX versions of both discs. With slower arm speeds they are very stable and still quite durable.

I still throw dx eagles as my main stable fairway driver. They go far and are easily controllable. I had a lot of success with dx teebirds back when I was still developing my backhand also.

The last time I checked, I think I was throwing a little under 300 feet with fairways. This may be due in part to disc selection and technique, both of which I'm in the process of revamping.

If you want good straight flights, with enough finish to be trusty but not dumpy, then look at Star/Champ TL or S/C-FD, IMO. The Teebird is better in wind than these discs, but these discs are definitely not unpredictable in a breeze. I think they are more enjoyable to throw for 300' arms than a Teebird unless you have a worn in Star or Gstar on the mellow end. If you have a beefier Teebird, it will be significantly shorter flying than either of those discs.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; the Stag is the best Teebird/Eagle type disc out there if you want some turn, but not too flippy, and serious glide.

Latest posts