• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagles

weedjj

Bogey Member
After reading these forums, I decided I wanted to try out a DX eagle as a more workable fairway driver as I continue to learn how to throw better/further. AT first I was skeptical, ubt after a few weeks of use and some good tree/branch/bush hits, it began to turn into a thing of beauty. I absolutely LOVE this thing right now as I can make it do virtually anything. But I can tell, its quickly going to become too beat to be able to hold a nice hyzer line and wondering if any other plastic of eagle come close to the workability of the DX. I will just get a stack of DX if need be, but I wonder how the stars are in comparison since they arent as stiff as champs are. I dont have much interest in the champs, but just want to get peoples input on different plastic eagles so I know where to go now.

Another thing: How would a Star/Champ EL compare to a beat DX EX?

If you really like the way its performing I think rotating DX discs is a good option. Both champ and star would take a long time to beat into what you have now with your DX and star would be a bit more overstable than champ and you will lose some distance on both champ and star. Another really good option in premium plastic for a similar role would be a PD.

jubuttib said:
Another thing: How would a Star/Champ EL compare to a beat DX EX?

Star EX - throws a lot like a DX eagle but takes longer to beat in

Champ EL - think champ leopard/TL flight path.

you might think of giving a stalker a try, or a sjls. both are durible and IMO fly like broke-in eagles. you do give up some distance though.

I sure do love my star eagles. Once they hit that sweet spot, they hold it for a while. I have been throwing the same money-spot star eagle for a year or so now and it hasn't gone over the edge to beat quite yet. It is my favorite disc, I approach every single hole knowing that, if I wanted to, I could throw that eagle with the upmost confidence.

The more I talk about it, the more I dread it flipping into the beat-flippy zone. :p

But I have a seasoned champ, new champ, new star, and beat DX sitting around too.

Big time eagle thrower, and I have to add another vote for the star being the disc you are looking for. I have X mold eagles that I use ranging anywhere from DX to CE, but the Stars are my bread and butter.

money 21 said:
you might think of giving a stalker a try, or a sjls. both are durible and IMO fly like broke-in eagles. you do give up some distance though.
I had a stalker with my eagles for a while to compare side by side. There are plenty of similarities but the stalker is slower and cuts a tighter S line. Does not go as far nor does it have as much of the low speed fade that makes eagles such a predictable disc.

Get another DX and start a cycle... there will always be a place for a really flippy disc anyway. I carry an extremely beat eagle that won't hold a good hyzer with out some OAT but at the same time it's a nice disc for hyzer flips on low effort throws.

rusch_bag said:
Jesus, man, can you change the station? I've had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

Get outta my fucking cab.

mzuleger said:
rusch_bag said:
Jesus, man, can you change the station? I've had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.
Get outta my fucking cab.

best
movie
ever

big_lebowski-eagles.png

Listen to Frank Delicious. Star Eagle-X's are the most like DX, workability wise.

I've got a stack of DX's that I'm breaking in, once I get several broken in, I have Stars in the waiting that I'll go to for slower wear. Several of mine are turnover drivers already at lower altitudes, but at high altitudes, they'll flip up but no over. So, DX lasts plenty long for me.

that's all I can think about when I read this thread title. I'm glad I'm not the only Lebowski fan on here.

I like DX, Star and Champ.
Disc Junkie turned me on to the new opaque Champ EXs... the ones with the flight ratings on the stamp.
They are domey, glidey, grippy and not nearly as meathooky as the 11x EXs. They seem to carry forward in the end of their flight, similar to a Teebird. The Stars seem to have a much harsher fade. I use the Stars for some shots but reach for the Champs more often.
Of course the DX are swell, too.

You can't really go wrong with any of those 3 choices. You'll get loads of votes for DX or Star. Just to be different I suggest trying one of the Champs I described.

my controlled D driver is a CE EX......its a hyzerflip machine!!

uber predictable!

marmoset said:
I like DX, Star and Champ.
Disc Junkie turned me on to the new opaque Champ EXs... the ones with the flight ratings on the stamp.
They are domey, glidey, grippy and not nearly as meathooky as the 11x EXs. They seem to carry forward in the end of their flight, similar to a Teebird. The Stars seem to have a much harsher fade. I use the Stars for some shots but reach for the Champs more often.
Of course the DX are swell, too.

You can't really go wrong with any of those 3 choices. You'll get loads of votes for DX or Star. Just to be different I suggest trying one of the Champs I described.

What this man has said. Get yourself one or a few of the new opaque Champ EX with the flight ratings and you will not look back. All are good with my favorites being 169-171.

Interesting...I may have to try out a new opaque Champ. Is it the opaqueness or the flight numbers that clue you in?