• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagles

Opaque, domey, grippy is what you are looking for.
I have them with and without the flight numbers.
I like my x-outs the best because they are just a little domier since they didn't get the big stamp pressed into them.

marmoset said:
Opaque, domey, grippy is what you are looking for.
I have them with and without the flight numbers.
I like my x-outs the best because they are just a little domier since they didn't get the big stamp pressed into them.

yup this is correct. Funny thing is my x-out is my favorite as well 8) for the exact same reason

Ryan C said:
Are all star Eagles the X mold?

yes. Ls only come in DX and Champ, but Xs are in DX and champ as well, so....Make sure to check the wing if you're looking for an L since they are marked identically to the X.

I recently got a 12x Champ (L) and a S-EX, tried them today for the first time. I have to say that they're pretty awesome, especially now that I can't really rip on the discs properly. Being slower they don't change their behavior as drastically when you power down on them. I really liked them for winter use, I'll see how I like them when summer rolls around.

My 12x X is beating into the straightest disc in my bag.
It is awesome now for low ceiling tunnel shots. New it wouldn't have even come close.

It is like a 'Swiss Army Knife' disc...annys, hyzers straight; whatever I need.

rusch_bag said:
Wow. I just picked up a few of the grippy opaque champ eagles and they are super nice. I think I'm in love.

what the hell took you so long. Enjoy the sweetness

So I bought 3 of these and decided I didn't need three discs that flew the exact same. I tuned the fuck out of two of them, one overstable and one understable, and now I got everything covered. Pretty happy with the results.

Eagle- X's are like Rocs to me, I haven't met one I didn't like.

Star/Champ/DX all work well. I think Star is the best personally. I've had SOME champs that were more stable than others(though all nice), but Star plastic seems to really like that mold - because I've had over 5 different Star Eagles and they have all been identical in feel/flight. Very much like DX.

Basically you can't go wrong, but I would suggest Star plastic.

throwing out my EAGLE love... its my favorite disc to grab out of my bag. I have 5+ eagles that I work in and out of the rotation, but currently I'm throwing

champion glow asia open eagle-x LOVE this disc, its my favorite one to throw right now

11x champion clear orange eagle-x this thing is basically as stable as a firebird, it has little of the eagle flip up that I am accustomed to, but I have the feeling once I get it beat a little bit, its gonna be in that "money" zone for a longggg time.

11x champion eagle-L (its actually CE plastic!!) this is beat and is my hyzer flip to turnover shot, once it turns over, its on that line for the rest of the flight, love it

CE eagle-x got this one off devan "the dude" owens, its super beat but still flips conistently, if I dont feel like throwing the eagle-L, I throw this one, great hyzer flip straight shot disc

I am going to try out the star eagles since everyone here seems to love them

I actually just picked up a red 170g star Eagle today. I really forgot how great the disc was after spending the last year mainly throwing the Q-Polaris. It was a total impulse buy because of how awesome the disc looked and felt. I laced a couple lines with it today. It actually has a place in my bag as the QPLS is more of a TB flight at the moment.

My buddy says the SEX is where it is at. I do dig the DX ones that I have as they are long and workable. How is the glide and controllability of the SEX compared to the DX?

I bought an 11x champ eagle used when I started and immediately shelved it due to the over stability. I later traded that for a couple dx eagles and a pair of the new 12x flat champ eagles and they are money for the flex shots. I do find myself throwing a star fl more and more for my eagle type shots though. I was throwing all my normal drives with 173 plus eagles and leopards only for a while to beef up on my d over the winter but now my eagles are all 168-170.

The star eagle x was like a shorter dx eagle, less flex though. I had to heave it backhanded pretty good to get a straight flight with hard fade and it held anhyzers pretty straight without as much flex as I like to see from my champs. It was better for forehand but still shorter. I use the dx eagles a lot for open shots where they won't get too beat up as a longer alternative to the champs when needed. Almost don't need em with that fl and the height to work it though. I am really digging the fl lately if you can't tell.

I had a Star FL for a short time...are you likening that to a faster eagle? I thought I remember my FL being a little more stable than the eagle. Are you liking the FL more because you can throw harder on lower lines?

I bought a couple Eagles when I bought my first JLS's and very quickly anointed the JLS the winner of that competition, maybe too soon. On a whim yesterday I put the two Eagles (one DX and one Star) in the bag and also smack the DX one into some stuff to break it in and came away liking them quite a bit. Gonna give them more of a shot this time.

JimW said:
I bought a couple Eagles when I bought my first JLS's and very quickly anointed the JLS the winner of that competition, maybe too soon. On a whim yesterday I put the two Eagles (one DX and one Star) in the bag and also smack the DX one into some stuff to break it in and came away liking them quite a bit. Gonna give them more of a shot this time.

You can probably use both. I use a M JLS for understable shots and a star eagle for stable stuff. Works pretty good, I like the eagle for sidearm shots too.

Sean40474 said:
I had a Star FL for a short time...are you likening that to a faster eagle? I thought I remember my FL being a little more stable than the eagle. Are you liking the FL more because you can throw harder on lower lines?

Yeah its a little more stable at low speed, but I can get about the same lines at higher speed with less problems in the wind with different adjustments on the fl. I also get to have one less mold in an already over populated bag.The first one I had was flat as hell and would pretty much meat hook or hold then fall down fast but it had sooooo little glide it wasn't worth using. The new x-out in my main spot and the regular backup are both very domey and a little lighter.(168-170ish as opposed to 175 for my old fl)

If I need a 10 ft high left curving line drive, I hyzer a beast or sidewinder. For the places I need to make tight turns around trees, get overhand throws out of the woods accurately and having them not roll unpredictably, make tight hyzers or fight wind the fl is it. I can throw the new fls backhand and get a great amount of flex (needs more height to flip and fade back than eagle in still conditions though) anywhere from 200 to 330ish on good days. And the hyzers this thing will pull, and the tomahawking accuracy, I could just keep harping... When the fl lands it lands and stops too, especially when you throw it high. It isn't that nose angle sensitive either, the low glide IMO actually sort of favors less nose down than say my xcal which gains altitude soon after release no matter how hard I try to keep the front down.

Now, I can't totally knock the eagle after all that off topicness. I love throwing my champ el's for a lot of long turning shots shots and overheads, and the dx eagle is great for many tricks too. The dx eagle is the only disc I can work equally well throwing, right or left handed, forehand, backhand, or overhead. Its very predictable for me as long as the wind isn't too bad. In a head wind I can get the eagle down range as straight as my tl when it is getting flipped.