• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Easiest distance?

G* Shryke bombs. You have to throw it on hyzer and any head wind it won't come back. Esp heat is the longest fairway I've ever thrown too. Its more stable than the numbers suggest.

I'd put G* Shrykes among my top 2 or 3 longest molds. They're flippy, but the distance is effortless.

IMO Shrykes and Terns are the 2 best hyzerflip molds on the market for sheer distance.

One disc I wish I could include is the Escape. I have had some really impressive throws from this 9 speed that match or exceed anything I can do with a proper distance driver. The problem with it is inconsistency. The wind will really mess with it. I guess that has to do with its high glide. So I have come to rely on the 11 speed Thrasher which in the varieties of Z plastic is better at dealing with the wind. Ultimately I would like to scale down on the speed of my drivers for the sake of overall consistency. My dream disc is a 20 mm, 9 | 4 | -1 | 1 disc, that goes far and handles moderate wind.

One disc I wish I could include is the Escape. I have had some really impressive throws from this 9 speed that match or exceed anything I can do with a proper distance driver. The problem with it is inconsistency. The wind will really mess with it. I guess that has to do with its high glide. So I have come to rely on the 11 speed Thrasher which in the varieties of Z plastic is better at dealing with the wind. Ultimately I would like to scale down on the speed of my drivers for the sake of overall consistency. My dream disc is a 20 mm, 9 | 4 | -1 | 1 disc, that goes far and handles moderate wind.

Maybe with the First Ace Race disc, Discraft makes the Escape Again and do so with all the others they use for this years Ace Race. :popcorn:

When I was throwing that far the G* Tern was hands down the most reliable disc for easy distance. I have a 164g and 170g, they fly strangely close in stability but I prefer the 164g.

They are very unreliable in the wind, so I always had a 166g Star Shryke for moderate headwinds or when I needed to know I wouldn't go too far right.

Now that I'm getting closer to 340-350 on a good throw with some height, the Tern is more of a tailwind or anhyzer disc or something I use when I need to know I won't go too left on a distance line. It fills the gap between a Roadrunner and a Shryke. It's also really easy distance when I need to power down.

I've gotten to know the DDX a little bit and the beat up S line I have will boom. It's like a good King, or thrashed Destroyer. Got some turn, but stays in the forest part of the flight a long time before the fade.

I've gotten to know the DDX a little bit and the beat up S line I have will boom. It's like a good King, or thrashed Destroyer. Got some turn, but stays in the forest part of the flight a long time before the fade.

I agree on the DDX. Not one of my absolute longest discs, but it'll surprise you with how far it goes. The DDX has noticeable high speed turn, but enough late fade that it always comes back at the end of flight.

I can throw Terns further, but I can throw the DDX more accurately.

Always in the hunt for easy distance. . a few new disc i have high hopes for is on the way. . Gateway Journey, Apex and DGA Tempest and Hurricane . . .o and one more, a Prodiscus Fasti

Adding my $0.02 worth...
I found that a 150g Star Sidewinder is insanely easy to get 300 feet with. Because of the Sidewinder's great glide, the distance comes from all technique and there is very little stress on the body. If you are throwing it hard, it will turn and burn. Give it good technique and you will be rewarded. This same principle applied to other understable drivers as well (Avenger SS, Roadrunner, etc) but I have the most experience with the Sidewinder.

Having said that, the speed of the disc needs to match the "easy" distance you want to achieve. If you want an "easy" 400 feet then this is a different batch of recommendations like the Tern/Shryke/DDX/etc.

I bought a BioFuzion Escape recently for no good reason. Turns out, it's perfect for the short basket placement(355) of one of our holes. So now that I have thrown it a few times there, I have realized that I would have been VERY happy with those throws with the long basket placement when I normally throw 12 speeds.

I'm throwing mainly fairway drivers from the tee right now and my most effective driver right now is a 167g TP Hatchet.

Hyzer flips are my preferred way to throw.

Given this info^^^
I have a few recommendations, (coming from a guy near 60 with similar pains).

I don't think you're going to get easy distance by going up in speed and more flippy, from my experience, going down that road is more frustrating.

Take a look at some 150 class stuff, yeah, it's not the greatest in the wind, but you'll learn how deal with it. Besides, you probably already have heavier stuff to deal with the wind when you feel the need.
150 class stuff will also help you to throw smoother and cleaner and can make a world of difference with those aches and pains.

Some 150 class discs I bag and have had real good luck with;
Star and Star-lite Sidewinders and Roadrunners
Air Escapes and Underworlds
The Jade! An easy Hyzer flip machine
Inertia
DX Teebirds and Eagles
And my fastest disc I carry, Star-lite Wraiths. These can really bomb and do well in average wind.

Try some 150 class stuff, it will help you throw cleaner and your body will thank you in return.

Best of luck

150g Tern

I'd be highly dubious. There's a difference between easy distance and being so flippy you can't throw it flat at all. A 150 Tern would be too flippy to get any sort or yardage out of.

I've thrown some starlite Bosses that were under 150g. Even throwing them softly resulted in hard flips and zero distance.

I understand the concept of easy distance, but you need a disc that has at least some resistance to flipping on slow drives.

Roadrunners, especially the Star fundraiser series (Barsby), under the proper conditions can get just as much distance as any top speed driver. Obvious drawbacks would be being too flippy in a headwind or having sudden elevation under the disc. Low ceilings may hurt as well. However, they are stable enough where you do not have to hit the absolute perfect hyzerflip line to keep it from turning over. Their glide is amazing which qualifies it for being easy distance.

Even better yet, they power down wonderfully as well, making them a versatile necessity in my bag. I am currently running threw of them: super beat PFN Star, a newer regular production run, and a Barsby. The Barsby is just a notch less stable than my PFN Star TeeBirds. My next disc up are Thunderbirds with the Worlds/Defenders after that, so I give a lot of shots to my Roadrunners.

This is absolutely untrue.
Agreed. It really depends on how it molds up among other factors. Sure, it MIGHT be uselessly flippy... but it also might be awesome. Stuff like this is why I worked hard to discover, document, and explain the concept of PLH. I was tired of buying discs that didn't do what I wanted.

Buy your discs in person when you can!

Last edited:
I'd be highly dubious. There's a difference between easy distance and being so flippy you can't throw it flat at all. A 150 Tern would be too flippy to get any sort or yardage out of.

I've thrown some starlite Bosses that were under 150g. Even throwing them softly resulted in hard flips and zero distance.

I understand the concept of easy distance, but you need a disc that has at least some resistance to flipping on slow drives.

This is absolutely untrue.

Agreed. It really depends on how it molds up among other factors. Sure, it MIGHT be uselessly flippy... but it also might be awesome. Stuff like this is why I worked hard to discover, document, and explain the concept of PLH. I was tired of buying discs that didn't do what I wanted.

We need to remember here that Twmccoy throws harder/faster/farther than most people, especially casual amateurs. So take what he says in that context. A 150-class Tern is an excellent disc for a great many DG players.

In addition, every Starlite Tern I have ever thrown has been in the 150s, and has also been less US than every Star Tern I have ever thrown.

You don't know what you're talking about. I throw my 150 tern pretty well. Seems like you might have OAT problems.