• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Easiest distance?

In addition, every Starlite Tern I have ever thrown has been in the 150s, and has also been less US than every Star Tern I have ever thrown.

I have the same experience with Starlite Terns. 2x157 Starlite Tern were more stable than 2x163 Star Tern

In addition, every Starlite Tern I have ever thrown has been in the 150s, and has also been less US than every Star Tern I have ever thrown.

I have the same experience with Starlite Terns. 2x157 Starlite Tern were more stable than 2x163 Star Tern

"Me three" on this. My sample-of-one Starlite Tern was (and is) more overstable than even my Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Terns. I even tried to lose that Starlite Tern, but found it the next day. :|

"Me three" on this. My sample-of-one Starlite Tern was (and is) more overstable than even my Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Terns. I even tried to lose that Starlite Tern, but found it the next day. :|

I did lose mine. Didn't even look for it. Still not sorry. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll also add in...I've only tried one Starlite Tern and it was definitely more stable than I expected. Just flipped up to flat and had a fade to it. In comparison my beat in champ Tern will turn over and barely come back if I throw it too hard.

I don't think I've ever thrown a normal weight Star Tern...

Oops! Gotta add one more to the mix: the I-Blend Sphinx. Best new disc in the past couple of years, for my geriatric purposes.

Thanks for the good advice. In my hands they fly almost identically to an upper 150's Bolt, but the x outs in I plastic at 148 are 10 grams easier on my arm :D:clap:

I'd be highly dubious. There's a difference between easy distance and being so flippy you can't throw it flat at all. A 150 Tern would be too flippy to get any sort or yardage out of.

I've thrown some starlite Bosses that were under 150g. Even throwing them softly resulted in hard flips and zero distance.

I understand the concept of easy distance, but you need a disc that has at least some resistance to flipping on slow drives.

I've seen some big drives thrown with a beat 150 Starlite Tern. They are fun to watch get past 400'.

I think it comes down to the run regardless of plastic. My SL RR is my "beefy" RR. I also bag a 164 Champ that was so understable it took a while to figure out. I also play a lot more in the woods than I do the wind.

Start with a Star Leopard, if that gets flippy, then go...
- 160-170g Star Valkyrie
- Star Beast or Z Undertaker
- Light Champion Tern

I'm a big fan of the Discraft heat and most recently the Star Mamba! I love how much distance I can get with those discs with little effort.

I think a Biofuzion Escape would be a solid option for you. That thing just BOMBS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Legacy has never really caught on, but I still say that the Rampage and Cannon are the LONGEST discs ever produced. Lightweight Cannons are insanely easy to bomb.

Legacy has never really caught on, but I still say that the Rampage and Cannon are the LONGEST discs ever produced. Lightweight Cannons are insanely easy to bomb.

The last Cannon I threw was ridiculously overstable and glideless. I was lucky to get 360' out of it. Disc just looked for the ground immediately.

I've thrown other Cannons that were way longer.

I wouldn't call the Cannon or Rampage easy distance though. You'll have to earn it.

It's between various flavors of Thrashers and various flavors of Terns for me.

The Tern has the advantage of being readily available in a spectrum of stabilities of the shelf - domey and in some kind of champ? Nice n stable. Flat and star/gstar? Flippy but with plenty of reliable fade... when thrown < 350'

Thrasher has a click narrower wing and is maybe a tad deeper rim, which for me is preferable to a degree. I have had a much harder time finding a Thrasher on the more stable end of the spectrum. Picked up a 2019 Ledgestone Sparkle Glo with a slight dome the other day, haven't had a chance to throw, but I am hoping I'll find plenty of glide and higher HSS.

EDIT: also worth noting is that X Thrashers seem excellent - found a couple with heartbeat domes and monster glide plus good stability to potentially beat in. I think if you found a Pro Tern with a good dome it would be $$, but the flat Pro Tern I tried I was not a fan of - lacked glide.

FWIW find yourself a lighter weight FD (lower 170s or higher 160s if you can, availability sucks). Similar distance potential as the Hatchets and Escapes with more control for woodsy shots.

I would be throwing Escapes in a variety of plastics plus a Hatchet/underworld as an US bookend if I didn't bag the FDs/terns or thrashers. Nothing else I've found gives me that flip to fade on a distance shot more consistently than the Escape or Hatchet.

Last edited:
Yup, Thrashers are too unpredictable to order. You have to see them. Pro Terns seem to lack all that is great about Star and/or Champ Terns.

Yup, Thrashers are too unpredictable to order. You have to see them. Pro Terns seem to lack all that is great about Star and/or Champ Terns.

Neither the Tern nor Thrasher are what I'd consider predictable. They can vary widely from disc to disc, and I'd never use either mold on a shot where accuracy was necessary.

For me the Tern is quite a bit longer than the Thrasher. Both have the same flight, but the Tern is faster and has better glide.

Star Terns for me are at the very top of the spectrum as far as pure distance goes. I can get them out to 450' fairly regularly. Again, that isn't necessarily accurate or useful distance. Its generally an S curve shot with lots of side to side movement and glide.

The Thrasher is more like a flippy Surge. Wildly flippy, and not extraordinarily long. I'd say the Mamba is longer than the Thrasher.

Another "easy distance" mold I'll add is the G* Katana. These things absolutely BOMB. Bit on the flippy side, but super long. Fun to throw too.

Last edited:
Neither the Tern nor Thrasher are what I'd consider predictable. They can vary widely from disc to disc, and I'd never use either mold on a shot where accuracy was necessary.

For me the Tern is quite a bit longer than the Thrasher. Both have the same flight, but the Tern is faster and has better glide.

Star Terns for me are at the very top of the spectrum as far as pure distance goes. I can get them out to 450' fairly regularly. Again, that isn't necessarily accurate or useful distance. Its generally an S curve shot with lots of side to side movement and glide.

The Thrasher is more like a flippy Surge. Wildly flippy, and not extraordinarily long. I'd say the Mamba is longer than the Thrasher.
I throw Terns for very, very accurate distance.

Any experience with the G* Tern? Curious as to how they hold up against the Star Tern.

Any experience with the G* Tern? Curious as to how they hold up against the Star Tern.

G* Terns can be erratic and flippy, but they're super long. I still prefer star Terns. I think they're a little more consistent. However, the G* Tern definitely gets a nod for "easy distance". The last G* Tern I threw was an absolute bomber.