• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Baskets

I've seen a circular brick wall, about as wide as the basket itself, infilled with dirt and made into a flower planter.

You can do something similar, but square, with landscape timbers. If it extends much beyond the basket, some people are going to step on it.

I've also seen a wider terrace, so that a disc that lands within 5' or so of the pole is on it, and so the basket isn't above ground level unless you're far enough out for it to matter.

Kind of what David is referring to. This is hole #18 at Turkey Hill in LaPlata, Maryland. They made a second level so player can stand and putt out or retrieve their discs.

df7ff896.jpg

spearfish in sd has some elevated baskets hanging by two close trees (course had at least 3 of this)

brp has the hanging basket hole suspended by a branch and a stump to jump on to retrieve your disc

That is Stewart Pond in Eugene, Oregon. I have been meaning to measure that basket. The rim is at least 9' off the ground, and it sits in a wide open and wind swept area. I wanted to start a thread with the question, " How high is too high?". Full disclosure, I have scored bogey or worse every time I have played that hole. Thankfully, my drive home isn't ruined because there is a really good chocolate shop next to the course where you can get a freshly dipped ice cream bar.

Last edited:
That is Stewart Pond in Eugene, Oregon. I have been meaning to measure that basket. The rim is at least 9' off the ground, and it sits in a wide open and wind swept area. I wanted to start a thread with the question, " How high is too high?. Full disclosure, I have scored bogey or worse every time I have played that hole. Thankfully, my drive home isn't ruined because there is a really good chocolate shop next to the course where you can get a freshly dipped ice cream bar.

howw

We have hired a concrete sculpture/artist to do tees and rocks on many of our elevated baskets in Charlotte. Here are a few examples at hornets nest and Sugaw creek.

Attachments

• 4A44C6FE-43CA-46E8-927B-A82D519D269E.jpg
    4A44C6FE-43CA-46E8-927B-A82D519D269E.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 2FD04B15-A158-4061-9A54-5DF2BAF2E0C7.jpg
    2FD04B15-A158-4061-9A54-5DF2BAF2E0C7.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 8F91DA13-E8A8-4B56-A5AB-65D6734692AA.jpg
    8F91DA13-E8A8-4B56-A5AB-65D6734692AA.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 52
If you don't have parks and rec on your back, rent a skip loader and build up a mound.

I second this, especially if you're wishing to make the hole harder. A mound that has a peak a few feet before the basket makes approaching extremely difficult.

That is Stewart Pond in Eugene, Oregon. I have been meaning to measure that basket. The rim is at least 9' off the ground, and it sits in a wide open and wind swept area. I wanted to start a thread with the question, " How high is too high?". Full disclosure, I have scored bogey or worse every time I have played that hole. Thankfully, my drive home isn't ruined because there is a really good chocolate shop next to the course where you can get a freshly dipped ice cream bar.

yeah i almost consider a 3 a birdie on that one!

Too high and pretty silly looking to me anyways. I bet you wouldn't bogey everytime if the target was a bit smaller but closer (30 inches rim height) to the ground. Allowing you to try and make a putt and still stay within 10 feet.

When baskets are this high especially you are forced to expose the plate of the disc to the wind (unless it is straight cross) only making the putt much harder. Not only that a disc golf basket doesn't catch well when the disc is ascending, but especially into a headwind. You're basically making near impossible putts.

Too high and pretty silly looking to me anyways. I bet you wouldn't bogey everytime if the target was a bit smaller but closer (30 inches rim height) to the ground. Allowing you to try and make a putt and still stay within 10 feet.

When baskets are this high especially you are forced to expose the plate of the disc to the wind (unless it is straight cross) only making the putt much harder. Not only that a disc golf basket doesn't catch well when the disc is ascending, but especially into a headwind. You're basically making near impossible putts.

yeah it definitely gets windy. if its blowing at all, it takes an approach that lands on the woodchips or close to have a chance at par (or a perfect drive with 400+ power). i nailed one from 45 or so a couple weeks ago and it was the highlight of my round.