• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Exercises/Tips on keeping the wrist down/nose down

jppbkm

Bogey Member
I have been working on the right pec drill for a few practice sessions now and one thing that i find particularly hard is keeping my wrist (and therefore the nose) down when i throw. When I go into the throw it seems like my wrist comes up and I throw nose up at release. I feel like my wrist extension as well as my overall driving ability is handicapped by this. Has anyone had trouble with this and found something that worked for them? I have been trying just to throw short shots and focus on keeping the wrist down but I am not having much luck. Any advice for other exercises that can help me work on this? Do I just need to strengthen my forearm muscles to keep it down? Help? :mrgreen:

sounds like your wrist is collapsing as the hit occurs or just before. unless of course you are not cocking your wrist down. if you are, then your pull is not coming straight through, clean, and/or you have way too much wrist action (forcing it in-and-out) in your throw.

how is your grip?

your grip may be too tight or too tight too early.

these are a few things to check off.

I switched to an above the seam grip on my distance drives and it helped a ton.

Bradley Walker said:
Nose down catch drill...

Someone should sticky that.

here's the post!

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34984#p34984

Repetition. Just do it over and over - focus more on keeping nose down until that's natural, then practice on the other stuff. It takes some time to drill it into your muscles.

mark12b said:
Bradley Walker said:
Nose down catch drill...

here's the post!

That's probably one of the best threads I've read on this forum. It helped me out so much.

I can't get mega nose-down yet, but I've got the feel for throwing it flat or maybe slightly nose down.

I concentrate on getting my weight over my front foot and my feet into position before I even try to put much effort into the throw. I just lazily pull it, putting all my concentration into feeling my weight over my right foot, and then when I feel like I'm falling forward slightly, I try to rip it.

Getting probably 10-15 feet more out of mids, 20 feet more from fairway drivers, and 20-30 feet more from distance drivers than I was a few days ago.

mark12b said:
Bradley Walker said:
Nose down catch drill...

here's the post!

Seriously moderators please sticky that thread. It saves a lot of people a lot of trouble. And not only from typing things all over again.

I'm gonna try this drill next.

What has worked for me so far (I'm a newbie at backhand) is: weight forward and uncocking my wrist to start so that there is some tension on it while I hold it in a down position. If I start from a neutral or cocked wrist position my wrist will come up every single time as it uncocks.