• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Explain "rip" to me please!

ASD Dad

I've been messing with my grip a lot lately trying to eek out some extra distance (isnt everybody?). I've been playing off and on since this past summer and I am happy with most of my throws and placement but I still feel like there is a lot missing.

For reference - I have a noodle arm and throw my FD or Avenger about 300' on a nice throw. I can normally place it where I want though. My mids are in the 250 range and I can throw my putter 200.

I am 6'2" with some long arms...

I throw my mids/putters with a fan grip. Drivers I used to also throw fan since it was comfortable but moved to the power grip.

What I am having trouble with is figuring out the "rip" from my hand to get max spin and distance. I assume that is the sound you can hear when the pros are throwing at release. It is a clean "pop" sound almost.

My issue - The disc never "rips"! If I hold on tight like I read and watch about the disc stays put no matter how hard I throw it. I can get it to maybe slide a bit with a fan grip but a power grip? No way is it coming out unless I actually release my grip. I even tried a two finger power grip. I can still hold on if I grip tight. If I grip sort of loose I can get it to pop out but I keep seeing all these vids and posts about holding really tight with a lot of pressure. I can do the biggest, most ridiculous throw possible not caring where the disc goes and it still wont come out of my hand unless I release it. I feel that by actually releasing the disc I am not getting maximum spin or consistency.

So - how do you get the disc to rip??

And you might be rounding the throw/dragging the disc from the front so it goes in an arc. If you have a wide upper arm angle and the disc follows a straighter path toward the elbow forward/right pec position, then when your arm starts the outward swing arc the disc will be accelerated as your arm starts to go sideways. The disc's arc will be tighter and at the hit point only, rather than a long rounding path that you can somehow hang on to.

The way I understand it is, if you have the proper form, it's pretty dang hard to keep hold of the disc on a throw. There's so much force at the hit point that it just rips out naturally. But anyone feel free to correct me if that's off. I'd agree with slowplastic on the rounding.

Rip, the sound you hear in your calf muscle as you turn your disc over while stepping on the edge of the tee pad and twist your ankle.

Are you talking about the sound, or that perfect feeling you get when you put the disc on the right trajectory and it pulls hard out of your hand?

Pinch the rim/flight plate dont pull with finger tips into the hand.

OK, so most pressure should just be my thumb pressing down on the flight plate? How much pressure are on the pads of my fingers with a power grip? Are they just curled under and sitting there?

What about a fan grip? I can still hang on that way but the disc will move, it just never fully ejects out of my hand. It will maybe shift an inch at most.

I need to take a video and post it. I've taken some in the past and saw tons wrong even though I was getting consistent (just short) flights. I concentrated on what I was doing glaringly wrong but know I am still not anywhere near correct.

OK, so most pressure should just be my thumb pressing down on the flight plate? How much pressure are on the pads of my fingers with a power grip? Are they just curled under and sitting there?

What about a fan grip? I can still hang on that way but the disc will move, it just never fully ejects out of my hand. It will maybe shift an inch at most.

I need to take a video and post it. I've taken some in the past and saw tons wrong even though I was getting consistent (just short) flights. I concentrated on what I was doing glaringly wrong but know I am still not anywhere near correct.

Any grip you use is going to be pinched with the thumb on the flight plate. You want to have enough pressure on the pads of you fingers to hold the disc firmly in place without squeezing too much on that part of your grip.

If you can still hang onto it with a fan grip I'd guess your arm speed isn't adequate to get that snap at the hit point.

I have a four finger power grip. The pinky and ring are on there but at the point of the hit they don't provide any resistance. My middle is the real lock finger that lets up at the hit, allowing the disc to rip off my index. It isn't really a conscious thing though. (Maybe it should be, because I early release more than I grip lock...I don't know...)

You can see it with Will's drive: https://youtu.be/xKPZmZDxP9s?t=1m13s

Rip is more of a feeling than an actual sound. I don't really hear the disc exit my hand as I throw. I can definitely feel the wrist snap as the disc begins its flight.

The rip has to happen naturally. You won't get much out of your throws if you force it. It doesn't really sound like you have enough arm velocity to notice a ton of rip yet. When it does happen, you'll know instantly.

david feldberg said in a video i once saw on youtube that the bigger rip sound your hand makes, the farther your disc will go

You're wayyyyyy over thinking this **** honestly.

From that first response just go have fun and slowly learn. There is no magic and just enjoy the time on the course.

Guess I just want to get over a hump. I did throw my best round ever at my home course a couple weeks ago. Everything just went well that day, I even hit a birdie shot from about 100' out (pure luck) after smacking a tree on my approach. Felt amazing walking off the course.

It's addicting to say the least.

Guess I just want to get over a hump. I did throw my best round ever at my home course a couple weeks ago. Everything just went well that day, I even hit a birdie shot from about 100' out (pure luck) after smacking a tree on my approach. Felt amazing walking off the course.

It's addicting to say the least.

With time the addiction will build consistency and then you will learn discs etc if you stay true to the DGCR ways grasshopper..

So far I like you and there is hope! The addiction is obviously real look at us all here?

david feldberg said in a video i once saw on youtube that the bigger rip sound your hand makes, the farther your disc will go

I'm pretty sure he's also said that the sound is a misnomer and isn't important. Maybe he evolved on the position?

There are two sounds. One is a pop that you hear when your fingers snap together as the disc pulls out. Unimportant but satisfying. The other is a whizz that you hear from the speed of the disc flying through the air. Matters only in that it tells you just who fast your disc is spinning.

Somewhere, Sidewinder 22 has a graphic of the path the disc goes on as you pull through. Without going into any detail, that path puts the disc on a route that makes it torque out of your hand. The disc acts like a lever (think German grenade on a stick, not my observation) and spins out hard. That is how the "rip" occurs. If you throw an axe and try to hang onto the handle as it comes forward, well, you can't, it pulls out of your hand. If you think of a spot across the disc from your hand, if you swivel that spot around like the head of the axe, it's going to pull out of your hand, and forcefully.

If you can hold on to the disc throughout a whole throw then I think your pull line is too rounded and ur just swinging ur arm. The "rip" is the disc tearing out of your hand and happens because of the whip-like directional change that happens at full arm extension. Basically you accelerate the disc until the point where your hand can no longer continue moving in that direction and the disc pops out. I finish my follow through with a white knuckle clenched fist and I am consciously squeezing the disc right when it rips out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts