• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast overstable slot.

Since you like the PD2 the XCal seems like a good choice. Similar flight and feel. If you want to go discraft a max wt Z Force woukd be the way to go imo.

latitude said:
JR said:
What would you guys rate the Spirit at in Innova speed scale? 10? 11? Force is 12 and many 13s exist.

Same question I was gonna ask :) . Quasar is 13 while Force/XC/PD2 is 12 of what I've understand. Many seems to like the Quasar and XC this far, seems like there's no love whatsoever for the Pulse. A little worried though about the star Xcaliber, about how fast it may break in? Ch XC, good substitute? Z Force is popular as well, is there anything who separates those discs from each other or is it basically the same disc different manufactures?

C Xcal starts out more OS and is between Z Force and S Xcal in calm weather and three quarters of the way toward the Force in winds. C Xcal is viable in the winds many Stars aren't. Z still has the edge.

Neither the Xcal nor the Force penetrate the wind as well as they should because the Xcal has a blunt nose and the overstable Forces are too domey. Domey Quasars still have a sharp wing, so they penetrate much better.

I don't have the power for my OS Quasar. Maybe the stiffest headwinds could keep it from crashing too early and i've yet to experience such. With stiff, but not gale force winds my Quasar started bouncing a bit in the wind. I'd say on par with the C Xcal, so a little worse than a Z Force. So i'm not so confident about my disc. I have no clue as to how other OS Quasars or regular ones would handle in the wind, because mine is the only one i've thrown and the local shop only carries domey ones at the moment. I'd rather sacrifice distance in a gale force headwind for reliability and so far i've not been disappointed with the Force. Maybe i have good ones, because others have said, that they've had flips in headwinds from Forces. For the situations, where i suspect the Force may not handle it i'd definitely take the Spirit.

My force penetrates headwinds just about as well as my quasar, it is not a big noticeable difference.

I was throwing a flat proline tsunami in the wind last night it worked great might not be as fast as you want but it was going out sweet for me.

money 21 said:
I was throwing a flat proline tsunami in the wind last night it worked great might not be as fast as you want but it was going out sweet for me.

I think this guy wants a faster disc. A Tsunami is basically an old mold Predator, which is closer to a speed 10 disc.

I've had 20mph headwinds flip both Forces and my Quasar for me. I was never happy with the HSS of a Force in a strong headwind, even if their strong fade means they'll often come back if they get turned a bit, that's why I never bagged them.

I don't have a good recommendation for the OP. I'd kind of like something here as well...maybe I need one of the OS Quasars? I've always just used my Predators in a really strong headwind. They're not the longest disc out there but it's a mold I trust very much to perform well in these conditions. They do not turn on me in a headwind.

Mike C said:
I've had 20mph headwinds flip both Forces and my Quasar for me. I was never happy with the HSS of a Force in a strong headwind, even if their strong fade means they'll often come back if they get turned a bit, that's why I never bagged them.

I don't have a good recommendation for the OP. I'd kind of like something here as well...maybe I need one of the OS Quasars? I've always just used my Predators in a really strong headwind. They're not the longest disc out there but it's a mold I trust very much to perform well in these conditions. They do not turn on me in a headwind.

Have you thrown a Spirit? That should take you power and way more than 20 MPH headwinds without trouble. Otherwise it's a meat hook.

roman said:
money 21 said:

I think this guy wants a faster disc. A Tsunami is basically an old mold Predator, which is closer to a speed 10 disc.

Yeah for the reeeally big headwinds as well as a bit more controlled shots forehand I usually pull out my flat top Ch FireBird, works great for the purpose but not fast enought with enought glide as for example a PD2 has

Flat, first run C PD's are money into the wind. For my arm (under 400') they are perfect. We had some 15mph+ winds the other week and I was shooting accurate and relatively far into the wind with my 175 FR C PD from a flat release.

Fightingthetide said:
Flat, first run C PD's are money into the wind. For my arm (under 400') they are perfect. We had some 15mph+ winds the other week and I was shooting accurate and relatively far into the wind with my 175 FR C PD from a flat release.

CFR Pd's are my goto into the wind as well, but they're not very long and I've been looking for a reliable distance driver into the wind as well. I use the CPD2 a bit now for that slot right now and have even been playing around with my opto flow's in the wind with some good success. I have to be a little too careful with the angles on them though.

JR said:
Have you thrown a Spirit? That should take you power and way more than 20 MPH headwinds without trouble. Otherwise it's a meat hook.

Yeah, it felt horrible in a backhand power grip to me and it never flew further than my Predators did unless it was a thumber. Faster, yeah, but too overstable for distance.

Fightingthetide said:

I must have flippy ones then. When I was in Joplin it was 15+ with gusts to 25 and mine were getting flipped from hyzer on 330+ holes.

Mike C said:
JR said:

Yeah, it felt horrible in a backhand power grip to me and it never flew further than my Predators did unless it was a thumber. Faster, yeah, but too overstable for distance.

True in calm conditions, but i wouldn't break out the Spirit for other than meathook trick shots, skips and nuts headwinds, where regular wind fighters may get less predictable.

So after a few days with the NukeOS... I can't find much of a use for it. It reminds me of a wide rimmed XXX. But I don't feel like I get any more distance out of it. It just seems to follow the same path as a XXX, but faster. I can't find a shot I could do with it that I couldn't do more comfortably with a Z Pred.

I also gave the Z Force a second chance. The first experience I had with one was a flat, tourney stamp Z. Flippy POS. The second one I got my hands on was another tourney stamp Z, but with a moderate dome. Same thing, flipped much more than I expected it to. In the exact same conditions, my CPD2 tracked right slightly after standing up from a little bit of hyzer, then faded to ~430. I'll take the force out again sometime this week, but I don't see myself liking it, and I don't want a really domey disc for a headwind disc preferably.

Sounds like the last time I threw my max weight Z force. I was having a more difficult time controlling it than my Orc, lol.