• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FH drivers-under or overstable?

I'm fairly new to the game and to this forum, and I'm looking to find a great FH driver.

I've read a lot of different opinions on what to look for in a FH driver. Some say go as overstable as you can handle and go high weight. Others say to use a stable or understable disc. Some say go heavy, some say go light. I'm not talking about which to choose based on what the hole asks for, I'm talking purely for distance and control. I know the answer will be slightly different for every person, but just assuming that I could handle throwing any disc, are there any that lend themselves more to FH drives?

Yes. To the topic name. At this point before Franky changes it again :) For distance control alone it would be a good idea to use putters, mids and drivers. Recently i've had great success with Champion Eagle L. Some tightness to the tips of the index and middle fingers and thumb helps a lot in gaining control. Jokeri/Rhyno/Pig for putters, Zone/Gator for mids are good options.

JR said:
Yes. To the topic name. At this point before Franky changes it again :) For distance control alone it would be a good idea to use putters, mids and drivers. Recently i've had great success with Champion Eagle L. Some tightness to the tips of the index and middle fingers and thumb helps a lot in gaining control. Jokeri/Rhyno/Pig for putters, Zone/Gator for mids are good options.

Well right now I use a Rhyno, which I'm happy with, I don't have a good midrange, I'm throwing a Starefire for distance and a Discraft Xpress for anhyzers...I'm just trying to figure out if there's better options for drivers that a FH dominant player should consider. I'll definitely try the Eagle, thanks for the input.

Depending on how far you throw the Rhyno you may do with the CEL but if you wan a Rhynoish flight out of a midrange Gator it is.

I used to throw Champ Eagles a lot when I first started playing and the CEL was my favorite disc to throw FH. I had a lot of control and it was straight!

It's the same as with backhand. You can shape many different lines with different discs. Why do people always assume that yu need a special FH disc ?

Smigles said:
It's the same as with backhand. You can shape many different lines with different discs. Why do people always assume that yu need a special FH disc ?

this.

youll learn a lot more about form and line shaping though if you learn how to shape clean lines with understable stuff. ;)

I generally throw overstable. Mainly because I'm BH dominant, so if i'm throwing FH, its usually for a sharp right turn. If it's a throw out of the rough it could be any disc from my bag.

I can't throw anything remotely understable FH, I just flip it. I can launch a Boss or XCal like 350 though. Is this a technique issue or is overstable just better for FH?

zeppelin47 said:
I can't throw anything remotely understable FH, I just flip it. I can launch a Boss or XCal like 350 though. Is this a technique issue or is overstable just better for FH?
From an ultimate player perspective it sounds like technique. A lot of people tend to roll their wrists and elbows when trying to throw a big D flick. An overstable disc would compensate for some of that rolling action while an understable disc would possibly make the roll worse. Where is your power coming from on your 350' tosses? You might be throwing from your shoulder instead of your hips.

Well I get a decent flick. But ya, maybe I am using too much shoulder. It works fine for long drives, but I'm having trouble throwing anything 200-300 feet FH, just feels like right now I either throw it full power or I don't get anything on it at all. My BH approach is pretty good, but sometimes I just need it to fade the other direction.

Pure distance I like my Champ Boss, I need overstable because of the amount of torque you can put on a disc shooting FH. If you're wanting distance, you have to find A; a consistant form, lots of people can throw FH far every now and then but most the time its not controlled, and B; a disc that will S-curve with your throw = more time spent in the air = more distance. It's not about, "Who can hyzer bomb the furthest", so don't go too overstable.

zeppelin47 said:

Def technique.

its the same as with BH drivers to an extent, some players claim they just cant have a road runner in their bag cuz all it wants to do is turn and burn for BH drives. I think most everyone agrees, that if you didnt throw like crap, a road runner is a pretty solid disc for a lot of different types of players, but you need to have good form. The same applies to FH. Its "easier" to throw something overstable FH, the control you get out of it however is that you never have to worry about it turning due to its overstability. Not from your form. These are great things in certain situations, heavy winds, OB on the left (RHFH), or you need a hard fade to get around an obstacle. But if you cant flick a mid or putter 150-200 feet and be semi accurate with it, its your form most likely. If you start off throwing something slower and less stable, you will eventually be able to get a command over it, then when you move up in stability, youll have a better throw, with more control= longer more accurate throws and less elbow pain and unwanted rollers IMO

Ya, figured out the problem. I was using too much shoulder and not throwing from the hip enough. I had a lot more success with shorter FH throws yesterday, just need a bit more practice with it, it'l come.

With a clean FH form you can throw anything you want. But according to some of the best FH throwers in the world (well, one at the very least) FH simply doesn't have the spin potential that BH has. Meaning that at the far end of the distance spectrum you're probably going to need more stability than a BH thrower at similar distances. Mind you, those distances are pretty far.

Majority of my FH are off the tee just to get a different line or to work on it. I use a Star Xcal for this, and a few weeks ago i was trash doing it, changed 1 finger on my grip and then absolutely bombed on a line past a hole that was roughly 350 out. Disc never got more than 10-15 feet off the ground. Me and my buddy were speechless. I now have a FH driving disc :D

Latest posts