• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Field Practice Time

I've tried practicing in the park near me, used to go about 3 times a week for 90ish min at a time and work on my form (Teebirds and Eagles mostly) and hitting my aim line not worrying too much about the flight but more on focusing on the 2-3 things I was working on and did the disc leave in the intended direction, vertical and horizontal.

Problem was that everyday someone would come up to me in the park, bearing witness, looking for a dollar, random conversations or asking what I was doing and of course I took the time to talk to them all. That plus my uncanny ability to always misplace a disc leaving me searching for it for 15+ min (yes, I lose discs in fields) has stopped me from going. We have a few courses around here and I try and mix up which ones I go to then usually throw 2-4 shots per hole trying to hit a specific line for that day and hole. I know it's not the full benefit from field throwing but works out a little better for me.

I owe all my progress to field work and this site. I know it can be hard to practice in a field because of some of the distractions, but it'll be worth it in the end if you want to elevate your game more quickly.

Banjar said:
In our club I would guess about 30% of the regulars are putting in serious practice time on the field. They tend to improve a lot faster. Especially the 'newer' players (myself included) who have played for 2 years or less. I've started out with scores around 85 last fall, now I am consistenly scoring in the low 60's (par 57, I've still to break par on our course, though :cry: ) But I guess the importance is really what to focus on when you field practice.
I find it hard to stand on a flat soccer field and throw 150 feet anhyzers as practice. In an open field, I tend to practice throwing accurately, throw soft and hard, and with good form - just empty my bag, go collect and throw back again. In my opinion field practice is great for form, accuracy, consistency and learning how your discs fly. All of these tings will benefit your overall score a lot, and people who do that here show faster improvements. For the finesse shots, I prefer to practice them in the situation on the course. I sometimes throw 5-6-7 shots from the same lie and try to execute the throw as good as possible. Throwing a finesse anhyzer shot in an open field is easy, but throwing it in between trees on the course is a different matter.

This is about where I am, I think. I'm among the few who devotes a lot of time to disc golf and my scores have gone down dramatically in the 15ish months I've been playing. I putt a ton, which keeps my scores down, but I'm beginning to break through with the rest of my game too. I attribute most of that to the stuff I've read on here and some good quality practice.

Sean40474 said:
I owe all my progress to field work and this site. I know it can be hard to practice in a field because of some of the distractions, but it'll be worth it in the end if you want to elevate your game more quickly.
I can agree on all of these points. I go to the field by my house almost every night after work to throw. I've made some real strides in my game, but truth be told not much puts my mind at ease like tossing discs so I don't always have focused practice. A lot of nights it's just me tossing all my discs back and forth until it's dark.

Dbuntu said:
Sean40474 said:
I can agree on all of these points. I go to the field by my house almost every night after work to throw. I've made some real strides in my game, but truth be told not much puts my mind at ease like tossing discs so I don't always have focused practice. A lot of nights it's just me tossing all my discs back and forth until it's dark.

I hear you loud and clear.