• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding Lost Discs

Loc8tor has something a bit closer to the mark. $80 for the basic set-up, a max range (clear LoS) of 600', and a scanner the size of a cell phone are attractive features. The downsides are the size of the transponders (3cm x 2cm x 1cm/<5g) and the cost of additional transponders beyond the two included in the basic package. On the home page there's a concept being floated for a transponder for glasses, which would be more size friendly to discs. The company is also asking folks to send in suggestions so I sent them a request for a more disc friendly transponder.

No, this sort of thing shouldn't be used for sanctioned play but I figure the vast majority of folk's play time isn't sanctioned. Knock on wood but don't think I've lost a disc yet that wasn't deep sixed or forgotten. I am stubborn with the search though and have burned time hunting discs down. Since I know I'll search, if I'm throwing blind hole, there are times where I'll lay up within LoS just to take the potential for brush thrashing time out of the picture. It may be worth 80 bucks, to me at least, to make all this moot.

I know of at least three courses here where there are potentially disc gobblers because of blind shots. During league, non-sanctioned tournaments, a round with enough friends I will take that shot and I know I can hit it most of the time. However, it is next to impossible to practice with that fear of losing one out of sight and having only an approximate area where it landed.

I know it is just best to keep it in the fairway, but it only takes one errant throw to lose a disc, one tiny tree limb to redirect its flight in an unforeseen way.

Hell, today at the Ice Bowl I nearly lost three in the open with spotters watching. One we did declare lost until I went back afterwards and kicked up the snow that had not already been kicked up by all the players who followed our group. Some kind of tracking device would have saved our entire group something like 30 to 40 minutes.

To throw it back out there. Black Jax creates a light pod that is no more than 10 grams. Now those require screwing them into the flight-plate, but the concept still creates the feasibility that something with a tiny battery and good enough range will not affect a disc's flight.

Maybe if you have what you will declare a practice disc, you could tape/glue/ some how fasten a really light and thin washer to the bottom of the disc and use a standard metal detector. Those have decent ranges (again assuming you know the general direction and distance), don't they?

Remote key finder
I mounted a couple of these to some discs to try out last fall. They did make the disc fly slighty different. The first tree I hit broke the beeper and sent the battery flying off into the grass. I promptly removed the other three and declared failure.

RFID would be the most feasible with just a nice flat sticker. If you were ever questioned during tournament play you could say the disc came from the store with the "anti=theft" sticker.

Another option would be for someone to design and build a small rfid chip to be built into the disc and then license it to all the disc manufacturers. The technology has to be to a point now that this can be done. The disc manufacturers could make all the discs with the chip in it and sell the optional receiver for locating them.

Steve said:
Another option would be for someone to design and build a small rfid chip to be built into the disc and then license it to all the disc manufacturers. The technology has to be to a point now that this can be done. The disc manufacturers could make all the discs with the chip in it and sell the optional receiver for locating them.

This seems like it would make the most sense, but there are a few oddball questions associated with it. Who would make and sell the tracking device? Would the disc manufacturers all make their own rfid chips and trackers? I sure as hell wouldn't carry around 4 different trackers in my bag. I'd want a universal one.

Also, I can't see the manufacturers being too interested in developing this idea any further. A good percentage of profits come from the golfers replacing lost discs and/or stocking up on backups.

That RadarGolf thing seems ok, but do those balls fly well at all? Does USGA-approved mean PGA-approved?

I want to see some physicist design a plastic-sensing device. Something that sends out sonic waves at the frequency of plastic, and somehow receives a feedback signal when it is aimed in a disc's general direction. You could calibrate the thing for each different disc in your bag, in case different plastics resonate at different frequencies as they age and warp. Universally applicable, and the creator would make enough money from it to build his own private disc golf resort, just like how life's supposed to work out.

I got tired of loosing discs a few years ago too, and I love building electronic devices so I looked into this. The simplest solution for the money seems to be a beeper. Take a look at beepdisc.com where I have some photos and specs on the beeper I am working on. It should go into production in the next few months. I am hoping that they can go for around $10 each.