• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

firebirds

steven1

Par Member
search function seems to be still out...
about to finally run out of my deep purple 1st run z-preds and am going to try some firebirds. how do the current star compare to the current champion?
thanks

Current Stars are the more characteristic Firebird flat shape, but they break in kind of fast for an overstable utility disc. The new champs are domey and funky. They are close to FLs in stability.

As a Firebird thrower for most of the last decade I highly recommend trying a XXX from Lat. 64, especially if you're not particularly attached to FBs and are looking to try someting new. They are interchangeable with Firebirds for most shots, better plastic, and more consistently overstable than the new Champ Firebirds. They are also a bit faster, so better in the wind.

use a xxx if you can't get an 11x or candy pro one. The star and new run of champ leave a lot to be desired. The star ones cost more and break in too fast (especially if you use them for overhands) and the 12x really aren't even a firebird, more like a FL.

My 12x firebird compared to my FL aren't even close. Are you sure?

the 12x firebirds aren't bad. I'm using one until I can find a cheap XXX. I prefer champion/z/opto/gl/etc plastic for overhand shots because champion isn't going to dent if it hits something extremely hard. Star and other softer, durable plastics will. My star max is retired because of a couple chunks that have been taken out of it from simple overhand throws. Just a thought when deciding.

tigel said:
the 12x firebirds aren't bad.

You haven't thrown any pre-12X have you? If you think those aren't bad for overhands then you are in for a very pleasant surprise when you get an XXX.

discspeed said:
tigel said:
the 12x firebirds aren't bad.

You haven't thrown any pre-12X have you? If you think those aren't bad for overhands then you are in for a very pleasant surprise when you get an XXX.

haha, you're right. I haven't thrown pre-12x. I'm a baby.

That's sort of why I wanted XXX's. Either my 12x firebirds were 'good' and I just switched companies, or my 12x firebirds are shit (like I've read on here) then the XXX's will just improve my game.

Tigel you should definitely check out an 11x or a XXX because you will be really impressed with the increased wind penetration you'll get from their flatter than 12x profiles. Also, they thumb a lot longer too.

I currently throw a champ firebird thats a bit older (I believe its an 11x but not sure, it had a custom stamp on it when I found it), nonetheless, having this disc for FH duties in the 200'-275' range. I'm curious about adding a Z Pred to the collection. How much overlap would I be looking at or will I be able to push the Pred further? It feels like I have a gap between my firebird and destroyer, would the Pred fill said gap? Also how much more or less fade would one except verses the two discs(FB / Pred)? My firebird also has a consistent fade and I never turn it over on FH shots.

I also have basically the same question for the Blaze as I mentioned for the Pred.

side note these dics are for FH only seeing that thats basically all I throw unless I'm inside 200'.

xeroxed44 said:
I currently throw a champ firebird thats a bit older (I believe its an 11x but not sure, it had a custom stamp on it when I found it), nonetheless, having this disc for FH duties in the 200'-275' range. I'm curious about adding a Z Pred to the collection. How much overlap would I be looking at or will I be able to push the Pred further? It feels like I have a gap between my firebird and destroyer, would the Pred fill said gap? Also how much more or less fade would one except verses the two discs(FB / Pred)? My firebird also has a consistent fade and I never turn it over on FH shots.

I also have basically the same question for the Blaze as I mentioned for the Pred.

side note these dics are for FH only seeing that thats basically all I throw unless I'm inside 200'.

A Pred would be a little longer than the FB for sure...If you wanted to accentuate that, the ESP I found to be a little longer/less stable than the Z. The Blaze is closer to a midrange...Not really longer than a Firebird, and far less aerodynamic (it has a taller profile like a mid).

discspeed said:
A Pred would be a little longer than the FB for sure...If you wanted to accentuate that, the ESP I found to be a little longer/less stable than the Z. The Blaze is closer to a midrange...Not really longer than a Firebird, and far less aerodynamic (it has a taller profile like a mid).

Ok thanks for the info, how does the end flight fade compare to a z pred and fb?

I'm hoping that its a little harder of a fade for the pred. If not what would you recommend for something similar to a fb but longer and fades harder.

xeroxed44 said:
discspeed said:

Ok thanks for the info, how does the end flight fade compare to a z pred and fb?

I'm hoping that its a little harder of a fade for the pred. If not what would you recommend for something similar to a fb but longer and fades harder.

I would try the Lat64 XXX. It is a little faster than the FB and does fade harder as it is a bit overstable. As you throw FH you should be able to see these benefits more than BH only throwers. To get good D you have to start it out turned over, but if you do it does go farther than a FB (but not by a whole lot). The only thing else I can think of that would fit would be a Gateway E Spirit...although it is kind of hard to know what you're going to get as they are pretty inconsistent. Unfortunately I don't think there are any faster discs that are truly overstable.

xeroxed44 said:
I was considering the xxx but I wasn't sure if I was going to see too much overlap with the fb.

You may, be to be completely honest (and as a FB thrower almost since I first picked up a disc) the XXXs are better than the FBs these days at everything. Its a powered up FB, just a little better all around.

truth is the stats are here for both discs

firebird.
Diameter 21,2 cm
Maximum weight 176,0 gram
Height 1,4 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 17,4 cm
Rim thickness 1,9 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5,7 %
Rim configuration ratio 26,75
Flexibility rating 9,75

XXX
Diameter 21,5 cm
Maximum weight 178,5 gram
Height 1,5 cm
Rim depth 1,1 cm
Inside rim diameter 17,5 cm
Rim thickness 2,0 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5,1 %
Rim configuration ratio 32,50
Flexibility rating 12,02

I actually was using an 11x for really stable shots now i use firebirds 12x for fl like shots and the XXX is a longer 11x firebird...and is amazing for overhands esp thumbers.

anybody ever flatten an 12x firebird...does it get more stable like an 11x?

elnino said:
anybody ever flatten an 12x firebird...does it get more stable like an 11x?

I doubt this would work. They are high shouldered and domey.

Well I've had a XXX for about 2 weeks now and it has basically bumped out my firebird. It can do all the same shots I could with my firebird but better!

I just looked at about 20 star firebirds that a shop just got in and they were all domey. I was sad.

Latest posts