• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

You look really stiff and controlled. Need to loosen up and let go.

True/roger dat.

Pump or address forward without rotation. Then backswing can rotate as swing pulls it and body gets out of way of backswing. Your body is blocking your backswing from swinging further back and your elbow bends, instead of whole arm/shoulder unit continuing back.

Any better?

1. Don't let your elbow bend in backswing. If the backswing is pulling on you, the elbow will be fairly straight.

2. Your upper body is still tipping like a metronome and your feet are remaining fairly flat on ground. Watch my feet and everything shift from ground up and tilt the opposite direction to leverage against the swing pulling.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 2.56.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 2.56.21 PM.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 46

Well, on the bright side we've been here before so at least I'm armed with more tools.

The head/spine balance was definitely backwards (have I set the record for backwards actions or balance yet? like, wtf man).

I stopped being so careful and started with a forward pump. Then I added a lot more momentum and grinded this for more reps than I can count.

The foot pressure and head feel somewhat more like what you're trying to get me to do in the power stance video, and the rear side feels like it's rocking and loading more like a Reverse Stride now. I really needed to get pumping again to make my body take the hint.

I know this will take more than a day but here's where I ended.

Big grain of salt, but I've seen you mention stiffness previously, and I can see that generally. Something I've added is some easy stretching before practice, not so much to loosen up, but to get my brain connected with the hips. I just sit on the edge of a chair, sit up and get my posture straight and open my legs at 10 and 2 o'clock or so, cross my arms on my chest, and lean forward while maintaining that posture. That activates those hip joints and gets me thinking about that feel in an aware way.

Then I do swing drills, like with a hammer, but just feeling the weight of my arm, it helps me to feel that hip joint at each end of the extreme extension. I get my breath in tune, maybe with an exhale at the deep 6 o'clock position and peak of inhale at the fully extended positions. Now feel that zero gravity moment when your arm is out and let it hang there before it falls. Focus on that feeling of it hanging, weightless in the air. When I'm doing this right, I may have to exert just a little force to keep my elbow from bending and my arm falling back towards my center. At that moment, the corresponding hip joint should be pretty maxed out. Now when I throw, I let the disc hang in that weightless position and lag the rest of the motion, but that weightless feeling is something I've keyed on that helps me.

When I watch your video work, it looks like you are physically stopping your arm at the top of the swing and then changing it's direction. I tend to go for that feel you get at the top of a quick roller coaster when you rise from you seat. Weightlessness.

Now I suck at disc golf and my form is nothing to emulate, blah, blah, blah—but if that helps...

Morning workout involved plyos including skaters with a hammer Capoeira-style in a wide stance. Then I did the narrow perpetual with hammer then disc again.

Holding a disc, my balance was clearly weaker on the plant side when I fully "let go" of my arm swinging forward. Part of that was because my head wasn't getting fully balanced on my plant foot. Just letting go and letting my balance fall over the plant leg a few times until it got better seemed to help.

I got my feet more unglued and sliding a bit:

And a test shot. I had to pump with momentum and focus on keeping the elbow straight carrying that momentum into backswing.

More drills between meetings. I challenged my range of motion. Footing is going to take some work - It was a little too jack-in-the-boxy again and at least one of my feet tends to slip a little out of leverage as they started to move back and forth. So I'll keep working on range of motion and sliding. I think I'm penduluming more than metronoming overall now but lmk.

2 practice throws at the end. I really need to keep after this little elbow habit in the pump and backswing so I'll keep grinding that. Even between the two swings I can see a big influence of a little elbow slop on the overall swing - it tends to cramp up the whole swing a bit.

I find it a lot easier to get the elbow and motion moving nice and loose in a wider stance so I'll keep doing a couple warm up reps with that and then shrinking back to narrow and do more reps. Lots of hammers on the menu this week. Why don't we play hammer golf?

Watched how you moved even more closely. I adjusted to swing more hyzer to make it feel more like Capoeira swings and it helped a lot. It was also more relaxing. Some progress on the drill:

And the ground pressure, balance, and alignments seem to be improving in narrow standstills, here are a bunch. Not perfect but I seem a lot more secure into the ground and fluid moving in both directions. I think my head pendulum is still a little off and we would still like to see a little more pressure flowing through my toes & outsteps moving in each direction:

This is a lot better, though still not ideal. Still head pendulum?:

xUdkksB.png

One year (!!!) of progress memento:

Playing a short tee round in narrow standstills tomorrow.

Last edited:
Similar issues remain in x-step but it already feels like my whole body is WAY more synced and into these throws at low effort, dude. It's like the whole swing frame is one big unit now. Like, holy ****.

The narrow drilling is paying off. :)

Round went well, almost all narrow standstills. Still working on sliding and getting feet right and flowing both ways.

On the longest holes I tried the new 2-step xstep with narrow starting stance, big vertical pump, and land in shorter plant stride with an abrupt shift. The group veteran immediately pointed out he thought it looked better on me and looked less effortful. First shots were a little wild but I got two good ones at the end, feels like more effortless power when I pump big and am patient to let the rear side action complete. I'm not 100% liking my front side action- can't quite tell if I need to focus on more forward swing side bend or just how I pump and stride.

Staying the course on the Perpetual drill and will get to field at next chance.

Update to see if I need course correction & for the benefit of any lurkers how many goddamn repetitions it can take to retrain a balance problem this deep. I'm basically doing these every time I have 2-3 minutes to stand up from my desk. My feet really want to hedge back in and head wants to have the wrong pendulum when I drill or throw. Just keep swinging and let go and feel the momentum.

Anyway, here's how I was looking right after my round.

Drill: still working on a bit of hyzer to get everything to place nice together. Sometimes I find it helpful to get the side bend/tilt right before I slide the feet so my body feels like it's flowing freely in dynamic balance. Then I let the feet fully glide back and forth.

Standstill: Starting to feel more organic, but I can tell based on my feet that my balance is still trying to stay flat or creep/stay inside them. Gotta let my front foot flow and release into the backswing I guess to get pressure all the way back. Otherwise I think my head still isn't quite balanced into my front leg either in the forward swing so I get a little crowding.

X-step: I see my foot pressure getting rapidly better than ever here and have chosen just to let my body swing the pump momentum harder even if it means the swing is a little wild. I'm just getting out of my head and committing to the action. I'm excited that I'm clearly feeling the best leverage ever out of both legs in this move. It feels like a huge move to me compared to anything before - very much more like I'm doing a drop into a plyometric. I'm a little funky on the front side - as usual maybe the same problem as the standstill. Plus maybe adjusting to the acceleration. The sidebend and tilt look better into the backswing at least.

Last compulsive update of the day. Adjusted initial stance to feel more like shoveling snow in the forward pump. Started to improve quickly and I got braced up faster after just a few throws, e.g. comparing 1 (1st throw) & 2 (a few throws later) here. Better overall & plant drop + pressure is maybe the best it's ever been, but front side in the swing still looks a bit off. I rest now:

Last edited:
I was cooling down with narrow standstills getting my head more on track and I kept thinking about this:

fowler-finish-position_1080x.jpg

And as I was rocking I thought about this:

And how my body seems to naturally like a wide shoulder angle in the hit.

I haven't messed with my off arm much in a while, but I knew Drew gets this biomechanically beautiful off arm position that works part like a counterbalance in the backswing and I always assumed more late torque and leverage:

drew-gibson.jpg

So I tried it out and somehow it felt great and natural immediately in my narrow standstills. I got a wider arm angle for free, a cleaner pocket, more acceleration, and I seemed to have more control of the disc flight plate coming into the hit. It seemed to help my balance and tempo too. I'm going to keep trying it in standstills at least while I'm drilling. Gotta get these feet fully unstuck, they're inconsistent. Can't wait to throw again outside!

Last edited: