• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] First overstable fairway driver?

I think great option for this slot, and largely overlooked is the Vibram Ascent. Nice OS fairway, keeps its OS quality for a long time, has beef but isn't a meathook. Better wind fighter than Stag.

I got one at a Birdie Bash 2 years ago, and it's pretty much the same disc today as it was then.

I am a big fan of the Ascent too. There are a few different molds though, a "small number" Ascent will be less OS than a "big number" Ascent. Small numbers seem to fly closer to a TeeBird, and large numbers closer to Eagles from my experience.

If you want to stick with Innova go for a new Champ/Star Teebird (straight to overstable when new) or a Brinster Bird (more overstable/fights wind well) from the Innova Pro Shop. Another awesome overstable fairway is the Discmania FD2 (for me, a bit more overstable than the Brinster birds).

All of those will give you a reliable hyzer disc while still being more workable than something like a Firebird for your distance.

Last edited:
Teebird or Saint Pro are winners for what you are looking for.

For Real. The Star Teebird was the first disc I ever learned how to throw hard and straight with fade. Had one in the bag ever since. I just started with a Saint Pro and I'm thrilled with what a good forehand disc it seems like so far. It's got my Teebird beat for that shot.

Saint pro is a lot more OS than a TeeBird - needs quite a bit more ass on it to keep it straight before the fade. I love my saint pro- but I don't really compare it to a TeeBird as a fairway driver- just more of an OS control driver. I don't think I would bust out my saint pro on a fairway or on a tee shorter than 300

Saint pro is a lot more OS than a TeeBird - needs quite a bit more ass on it to keep it straight before the fade. I love my saint pro- but I don't really compare it to a TeeBird as a fairway driver- just more of an OS control driver. I don't think I would bust out my saint pro on a fairway or on a tee shorter than 300

A few people have said this and I think it's bizarre. I've never thrown a Saint pro or Stag that had the HSS of a champ Teebird. People with 500' of power can mash a Champ Teebird and it won't turn. I promise that won't happen with either of those. Not to say they aren't good discs, but they don't have Champ Teebird stability.

Banshee, GStar Firebird, St.Pro, Vein would all be pretty good

Champion Teebird, Star Banshee or Champion Eagle "X" might work too. I use all 3 and find myself using the Eagle the most.

Banshee isn't as long but predictable and I have 2 champ Teebirds, one is nice, the other was a meat hook that went no where.

I am a big fan of the Ascent too. There are a few different molds though, a "small number" Ascent will be less OS than a "big number" Ascent. Small numbers seem to fly closer to a TeeBird, and large numbers closer to Eagles from my experience.

What are the numbers of which you speak?

MVP resistor is a mini FAF firebird-- no joke' come from max weight to 150 class too so you can pair weights and get a little work out of different discs while still having a crazy OS disc. Eats up the headwinds and doesn't turn, ever.

Like a Banshee with no dome and lower profile.

If you like DX Stick to DX, especially if you don't play seriously wooded courses. DX is better at teaching form/release angles anyway. I would say a 170ish teebird in DX or 165ish in Champ would be great. Banshee is a good disc, and will compliment your teebird once you feel you need a better utility/wind fighter.
Don't be afraid to compliment a pair of DX teebrids (one fresher than the other) with a champ teebird. You will appreciate them a long time.

Champ TeeBird is what you are looking for. Champ Eagle-X or Champ Firebird are also good.

Latest posts