• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] First overstable fairway driver?

Banshee would definitely be the most OS baseline option. At your distance, as some have stated, the Teebird / Eagle is going to be OS for you until it's beat in a bit. If you want to check out a non-Innova option, try some Excel Rivals from Legacy Discs.

I'm surprised nobody said Volt. The V and the Teebird are more or less interchangeable in my bag. Am I doing it wrong? :p

Well, one of us is. My Volts do not fly like my Teebirds. In fact, my Volts don't fly at all, because I don't have the proper form to throw them yet. They sure are purdy though.

I like the Banshee, but DX will beat into a flipper VERY quickly (based on my expansive knowledge of 1 DX Banshee). However, my DX Gazelle was similar, and my DX Firebird is going down the same path.

Last edited:
I like the TeeBird too, very good choice for an overstable driver. Last week I picked up a Westside Northman, and I so far I think it has the accuracy of a TB with a bit more distance.

You might want to go the Teebird route first before the Banshee. At the distances you listed a 170g to max weight Champion Teebird should do the job. Then when ready or if the need is still there then just add a Banshee.

I like the Banshee, but DX will beat into a flipper VERY quickly (based on my expansive knowledge of 1 DX Banshee). However, my DX Gazelle was similar, and my DX Firebird is going down the same path.

I thought the same, because every speed 6 disc from Innova, except the Leopard, is only produced in DX plastic. That is unless you go to Innova's online pro shop, where you can find just about any disc in almost any plastic.

And check to see if you have a Play It Again Sports in your area. I've been fortunate to find X-Out's and misprint discs at a very affordable price.

Lots of suggestions and the thread is a few days old, so I'm probably not adding much. BUT, for whatever it's worth, here's my $.02.

Banshee is a great first true OS disc. At your D there should be enough of a difference between the Teebird and Banshee to warrant the latter, especially if you want to throw DX.

I used DX Banshees for a year and a half. They're capable of retaining their stability for a long time as long as you avoid a major impact. I spike hyzered one onto OB concrete once and it went from new and beefy to truly understable in that single impact. But I also had another in the bag for about 15 months that fulfilled its overstability role the entire time. They wear like Teebirds, losing LSS before HSS, so even if they start out as a meathook for you a little seasoning makes them a fantastically reliable straight to fade disc. A slightly seasoned Banshee is a thing of beauty.

My advice is to buy one and throw it in open conditions to see if it's the stability you're after. If you like it, buy one or two more in DX to have to cycle, working a fresh one in as you start to see the other season. If you have problems with big stability jumps from tree hits, you can always buy and carry a Champ Banshee to have in a pinch. Although be advised those are hella beefy at your distance.

If you play a lot of wooded courses where your discs take a lot of tree hits, DX may not treat you kindly. But if you play relatively open courses or have enviable amounts of accuracy, DX Banshees can retain their usefulness for a very long time.

This is making me want to pick one up for old time's sake. ;)

And I agree with the TeeBird being your first Overstable driver. It will be fairly easy to control from the get go. Then once you get the hang of throwing it, move up to the next disc, whatever that might be. Banshee seems logical for that, but when I got an FL for my birthday, I thought that I was being a longer Firebird. Not at first, because it was just as stable as the Firebird. Even when I could rip, it still fought like a bugger for me to proclaim it: MeatHook Jr.

OP, you're throwing a TL. Get a Champ Teebird slightly heavier (doesn't have to be max weight) and call it a day. Champ Teebirds take a good long time to break in, and if you want something more OS add a Resistor, Firebird, or XXX (in order of least OS to most) and call it a day. Meanwhile you'll be breaking that Champ Teebird in toward it's sweet spot where it will benefit you for a good long time. Win/win!

I'm surprised nobody said Volt. The V and the Teebird are more or less interchangeable in my bag. Am I doing it wrong? :p
Nope. My DX Teebirds are a little longer than my Neutron Volts, and my Champ 'bird is a little shorter, but if I dumped MVP out of my bag I could replace my "Volt shots" without too much trouble. I'd have more trouble replacing my Theory, but really we have such a wealth of choices right now that I know it could be done. With all that said, FR Volts are straighter than a Champ Teebird, and later runs are a bit beefier and have that thicker rim.

Well, one of us is. My Volts do not fly like my Teebirds. In fact, my Volts don't fly at all, because I don't have the proper form to throw them yet. They sure are purdy though.
Try to throw with more snap. That was when I clicked with my Volt, and clicking with my Volt helped my game overall. In fairness, the Teebird is easier to throw with it's narrower rim.

I think the predator at about 170 grams is a great first overstable driver if you can throw it 300+ ft. They have much more glide than some of the other overstable fairways and they season very nicely. I don't really consider the teebird overstable. I think it is a great moderately overstable to stable fairway driver.

I found a non inked Eagle over the weekend. It reminds of my Volt and Tee Birds I've had in the past. Very solid disc. Was the Eagle around before the Tee bird of vice versa. They seem pretty close to me and my arm speed.