• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flash stability question

I found the opposite to be true when I last had a flash in my bag. It would go 20 past all of my surges. I've done some technique alteration since, so I suppose it could've just been me not giving the surges a proper huck, but it sure was consistantly longer...

Well hopefully I can get a couple other colors of the Flash in soon, I'd like to get something similar to what the Flash is supposed to be, a good long driver for not so long arms. I picked up a Spectra for that purpose a few months ago and that pig is much more stable than my overstable Flash....

mshelton said:
Well hopefully I can get a couple other colors of the Flash in soon, I'd like to get something similar to what the Flash is supposed to be, a good long driver for not so long arms. I picked up a Spectra for that purpose a few months ago and that pig is much more stable than my overstable Flash....

Yeah, I never got anything out of the spectra either. I could crank it out dead straight and it just didn't glide well enough to be that long. Also it is a horrible S curve disc and trying to do so will result in lousy shots. The spectra is definitely more overstable than the 1 it is listed at.

I used to work for a golf club company (Ben Hogan) years ago, they had a mechanical man to swing clubs that they could use to test club designs, balls, shafts, etc at different swing speeds. It'd be great if something like this existed for discs. It could set the proper flight ratings for all discs as well as detect any differences in flight patters between different runs and colors of discs.

mshelton said:
I used to work for a golf club company (Ben Hogan) years ago, they had a mechanical man to swing clubs that they could use to test club designs, balls, shafts, etc at different swing speeds. It'd be great if something like this existed for discs. It could set the proper flight ratings for all discs as well as detect any differences in flight patters between different runs and colors of discs.

Yeah, I've always thought that would be a great idea. It would be a very objective way to test discs between runs, and give a general idea of what I disc should fly like at various speeds.

Today while I was at the disc store I picked up 2 identical Baby Blue 173g ESP Flashes. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out to the field or course this weekend, does anyone have any idea what I should expect from these? They feel nice in the hand, a good combination of stiffness and grippyness.

BenKrishman said:
mshelton said:

Yeah, I've always thought that would be a great idea. It would be a very objective way to test discs between runs, and give a general idea of what I disc should fly like at various speeds.

Today while I was at the disc store I picked up 2 identical Baby Blue 173g ESP Flashes. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out to the field or course this weekend, does anyone have any idea what I should expect from these? They feel nice in the hand, a good combination of stiffness and grippyness.

Ball go FAR! They are flippier than the ones I use but that is good if you have sub 400 D and even if you have that you just need a little hyzer.

scoot_er said:
Ball go FAR! They are flippier than the ones I use but that is good if you have sub 400 D and even if you have that you just need a little hyzer.

Sounds perfect. I can put my teebirds to 375' pretty consistently(with very slight nose up) so I'm excited about throwing these. I could hit 400' occasionaly with my star destroyers but they were very inconsistent for me. I'm just hoping I get a little more consistency with the flashes.

Went out to the field today and loved these things. If I threw them with a little hyzer I got them out to 370-390 consistently, and from flat I could put them out to 400' on a good throw. They really shined when I threw them on distance lines though. I put 2 of these out to 420' back to back when throw about 20' high and with a little anhyzer. These have a nice strong fade, but will hold an anny very nicely for a very long time. I'm liking these quite a bit, and I'm excited to see them break in a bit so I can maybe get a little bit of turn on a non distance line and pick up some extra distance.

By far my favorite thing about this disc was the ease of throwing it and how consistent it was. Several times when I threw my pair back to back they would land withing 10 feet of each other. When I didn't hit a perfect throw the disc still flew well and I would still get it out to about 350-370 which is a huge improvement over bad destroyer shots which would end up about 320-340 a lot more often than I would have liked. I'm very excited to take these out to the course and see how they do.

I throw Flashes for my distance driver, and my experience has pretty much been domey and soft = understable. The harder and flatter they are, the more overstable they will be.

Currently in the bag I have:

- a flat, stiff neon pink Z Flash that flies like a Starfire
- a domey soft white ESP that flies like a Sidewinder
- a white ESP that is just barely domey, not especially hard or soft, and it flies dead straight

Mike-S said:
I throw Flashes for my distance driver, and my experience has pretty much been domey and soft = understable. The harder and flatter they are, the more overstable they will be.

- a white ESP that is just barely domey, not especially hard or soft, and it flies dead straight

In my experience domey = more overstable than an avenger. Also in ESP white is usually flippy (except in Trackers) and orange is overstable with blue and red being in the middle.

scoot_er said:
Mike-S said:

In my experience domey = more overstable than an avenger. Also in ESP white is usually flippy (except in Trackers) and orange is overstable with blue and red being in the middle.

Yeah, I've finally found some flashes that are stiffer and domey, I had a problem with the domes collasping on my flashes and they flew like crap. My current ones are cream colored and orange. I'm just trying to justify their spot in my bag right now. Trying to figure out what they can do for me that my Surges can't. They don't seem to s-curve as well as my surge does. They do excel on hyzer flips and such, going about as far as my surge, sometimes farther for less effort. Do you guys use the ESP Flashes for specific lines, are just as all around distance drivers? Does it make sense to keep these in my bag as well as my Surges? (for a point of reference, I'm getting around 350ft give or take 15-20ft with both discs, but I think the Flash my have more raw D potential)

The domes on my flashes sunk in and warps very easily, especially when I tuned them. That is the biggest reason I chose the Orc over the flashes

Why are you tuning them??? The thing is you have to get the poppy tops so if the do sink in they are still domey.

scoot_er said:
Why are you tuning them??? The thing is you have to get the poppy tops so if the do sink in they are still domey.

Every Z flash I've ever seen had a flat top. I've never seen one with anything even resembling dome. They are still good drivers though.

My ESP flash still has all the dominess to it that it started with even after tuning it. Mine started flipping over too much but now it flies slightly less stable than a Wraith. I had a Z but I never did like it. It seemed too stable and didn't have the glide of the ESP.

twmccoy said:
scoot_er said:

Every Z flash I've ever seen had a flat top. I've never seen one with anything even resembling dome. They are still good drivers though.

DON"T THROW THE Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scoot_er said:
twmccoy said:
scoot_er said:

Word!!!

scoot_er said:
twmccoy said:
scoot_er said:

AGREED!!! the Z Flash i one of the absolute shittiest discs ive ever thrown

Jesse B 707 said:
scoot_er said:
twmccoy said:
scoot_er said:

AGREED!!! the Z Flash i one of the absolute shittiest discs ive ever thrown

Some Z flashes are crap, but if you get a max weight yellow or orange one they can be great. I have a yellow one in the bag that is very reliable and long. It isn't my favorite driver but is still a great flier.

Latest posts