• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flesh Color w/ Idye?

kfeldt

Par Member
Does somebody know an Idye color mix that I could use to achieve a (caucasian) flesh color? Thanks.

Keith

Bump for an experienced response. I am wondering the same.

I would guess that a good place to start would be a combination of orange and/or pink dye depending on the desired hue. For appropriate brightness, maybe dilute the dye more than usual, and use a short dip/application time. Better to err on the side of going too light.

I am going to try this on my Okthrowberfest disc, but have not done it yet.

Hopefully, mpacker5 doesn't mind me sharing. He did a very nice skin color on a dye a while back and I asked how, here's the response:

"I mix probably less than 1/8th teaspoon of old Rit scarlet in about half a Gatorade bottle cap of water then apply it with a cue tip.
It usually takes a few coats.

I imagine Idye poly red would work just as well."

So basically, it was done with multiple, short, room temp applications of red+water mix. Who would have thought?

Here was the dye:
IMG_0416.jpg

Last edited:
Check through the Dye a Day threads and Okthrowberfest (past threads and there is another contest coming up) entries to see if you can find the color you are looking for and ask the one who made it. Bennett and DyeingToPlay may be good options to ask directly as well as several other experienced dyers in those threads.

I think using a combination of brown or tan with light application would work well then a smidge of red or pink to warm it up. but start light. Besides yellow, the old RIT powders dye nice with rubbing alcohol, add a little liquid soap to help with any painting effects you may want to try.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will do some testing on the back of the disc and see how it works.

Keith

Darth maul and trogdor discs were for me. They looked great and the arm color looks better in person. Free bump.

I tried the watered-down red dye (Idye Poly). I was pretty happy with how it turned out. No picture just yet, as it was on my Okthrowberfest disc...

Keith

For idye only is tricky because there is no pink. Try orange and brown in alcohol rubbed in with a brush on a white test disc. if I had to guess ratios I would say one eighth of a teaspoon of orange to just a dusting of brown into A half full shot glass of alcohol.

On Opto plastic, red+yellow+acetone brushed on/rinsed off a few times creates a nice warm skin tone.

This was done with 1 part old RIT dark brown+ 2 or 3 parts idye yellow. mixing up idye 1 part red+1/2 part blue+3 or more parts yellow yields similar results. I mix these with acetone and brush them on, so I have no advice as far as dip times on them.

Attachments

• IMG_20141020_004619.jpg
    IMG_20141020_004619.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 28
I'm not sure with IDye Poly, but with Rit I mix Petal Pink and Orange until I get the desired color and paint it on. Works perfectly.