• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flex Shots

love2dg

Par Member
Which disc you use for Flex Shots?

DX Archangel fits my slot but wonder about you guys.

Your archangel comes out of the turn? :shock:

It must be heavy/new or a CFR, cuz all the archangels I have ever thrown have flipped waaayyy right and didn't even consider fading back left (RHBH). If I applied any sort of power without crazy, stupid amounts of hyzer it was roller for sure.

I like the Eagle X and the Cyclone for flex shots most of the time.

depending on the shot, either a nd surge or a star destroyer

+1 on Ex's. I am working on a bigger D Flexer; a real domey max 12x Wraith or a CFR champ Destroyer

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome said:

It must be heavy/new or a CFR, cuz all the archangels I have ever thrown have flipped waaayyy right and didn't even consider fading back left (RHBH). If I applied any sort of power without crazy, stupid amounts of hyzer it was roller for sure.

Archangels are notoriously unreliable in the sense that their flightpatterns can vary wildly from disc to disc

For a distance line flex shot, I use a star destroyer.

For control flex shots, I use a Z Pred or Champ Teebird, depending on the severity of the "S" pattern I need.

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome said:

Well, it does work for me when it's a long drive but I guess, I throw a bit different. I just wanted to improve that slot using different disc like you all most talking about Eagle-X sparks my interest.

What about Firebird or Teerex?

Firebirds will definitely work but they are sooooo overstable that they fight out of the steepest of anhyzers pretty quickly. That's why the Eagle X (EX) works so well. They have a slight bit of HSS understability if you throw fast enough; this allows the disc to hold the anny for a while before fighting out of it. Firebirds will fight left as soon as it leaves your hand even if you start with 90° of anhyzer. I use the Firebird like that once in a blue moon but the EX will probably be more useful for you in the long run.

My only Archangel is from the time when Dave D admitted there was a run that was beefy. I detuned mine to less stable and to this day I don't know what archangels are supposed to fly like. From personal experience anyway.

Any disc can flex thrown with enough height, slow enough and nose up. Super pigs and pig super fast discs have the best chance of flexing on low long lines. Z Pred, Spirit, sub 168 Star Bosses, Max, heavy ESP or Z Force, Double D etc.

I can throw flex shots with any disc in my bag, but the ones I like the most are the teebirds.

EX, Xpress, and Orc are my three most commonly thrown for this type of shot.

Though I could do it with any disc in my bag, other than maybe my new preds, those three just seem to be the ones I throw on those lines most often.

marmoset said:
Firebirds will definitely work but they are sooooo overstable that they fight out of the steepest of anhyzers pretty quickly. That's why the Eagle X (EX) works so well. They have a slight bit of HSS understability if you throw fast enough; this allows the disc to hold the anny for a while before fighting out of it. Firebirds will fight left as soon as it leaves your hand even if you start with 90° of anhyzer. I use the Firebird like that once in a blue moon but the EX will probably be more useful for you in the long run.

I checked it out with my Champ Firebird and Eagle X today. I didn't realize I had Eagle X in my stock the whole time because it used to be my wife's disc. Firebird flexed over 300ft beautifully in tunnel woods which was similar to Eagle X but bit longer. It was kinda easy to throw flex shots with Firebird so I sorta prefer Firebird over Eagle X. I suggest you to try those Firebirds again.

DPJ88 said:
EX, Xpress, and Orc are my three most commonly thrown for this type of shot.

Though I could do it with any disc in my bag, other than maybe my new preds, those three just seem to be the ones I throw on those lines most often.

I love it when I throw Orc on open field and it would just flex itself farther.

lovetoDG said:
marmoset said:

I checked it out with my Champ Firebird and Eagle X today. I didn't realize I had Eagle X in my stock the whole time because it used to be my wife's disc. Firebird flexed over 300ft beautifully in tunnel woods which was similar to Eagle X but bit longer. It was kinda easy to throw flex shots with Firebird so I sorta prefer Firebird over Eagle X. I suggest you to try those Firebirds again.

You must be throwing one of those domey 12x if it is that easy to flex. My 11x flats are like slower Spirits...among the most overstable discs I've ever thrown and too overstable for a long flex shot unless I'm in the wide open and kill it.

discspeed said:
lovetoDG said:
marmoset said:

You must be throwing one of those domey 12x if it is that easy to flex. My 11x flats are like slower Spirits...among the most overstable discs I've ever thrown and too overstable for a long flex shot unless I'm in the wide open and kill it.

You are right on bat about my Domey 12x so that explains.