• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flick question

domromer

* Ace Member *
Would you guys say that the flick is more a a meathook than a champ firechicken? Does it skip more?
I'm thinking of trying out a 150 flick in place of my 150 fire bird. I'm looking for the same or more meathookness.
But a little extra skip would be nice. I mainly use the fire chicken for trick shots and get out of jail type stuff.

The 150 flick has more turn then it's full weight brothers. Flies like a different disc IMO. But I've only thrown one a handful of times... so you know...

I carry a 1st run Z 150 flick and use it for all my forehand shots. Its a super nice forehand disc because it doesn't take a lot of power to get it to fly straight and i know it will always finish right with a good skip. I've never tossed it backhand because of the shallow rim and my somewhat big hands. I've haven't really thrown a FB much so I can't compare the two but I don't think you can go wrong with a good 150 Z flick. The ESP's aren't as good imo but you could give those a try too.

I suppose I should mention all my MAD overstable flicks have been in the 150-162 weight range. I threw a couple max weights and they did not fly all that different to me.

I've not thrown the 150 class in either mold, but the skip is about the same at max weight, with the Flick maybe having a tiny bit more. The Flick lacks in glide put is more overstable (stands to reason) than the Firebird, IMO.
KP

I carry a flick for only forehand shots. It skips crazy far, more than any firebird Ive thrown. I throw a old run 170, its mad overstable and fairly short IMO.

The 150 flick is crazy overstable. It will fly a circle around you it is so overstable... It will go around anything. I have bad form and turn over overstable discs, but Ive never been able to turn this one over...

I like the flicks that aren't so stable. They don't glide, but they knife through the nastiest winds and are very predictable. Thrown hard they will actually go a long way before fading.

Most flicks I've thrown are WAY stable. I toss them hard and they won't even cover the same ground as a buzz. Its like throwing a plate.

In my experience the Flick digs in a bit more with its crazy sharp edge for less skip than the Firebird. The Flick is good for those shots you want to just hit and lawn dart with no skip, whereas the Xtreme might fly the same-ish except for an easier skip.

You guys that say the 150 flick is super overstable aren't getting them up to speed.

The 150 flick is flippier than a Surge, with more LSS. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for a firechicken. It's a distance driver, rather than an overstable disc.

SkaBob said:
You guys that say the 150 flick is super overstable aren't getting them up to speed.

The 150 flick is flippier than a Surge, with more LSS. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for a firechicken. It's a distance driver, rather than an overstable disc.

What? All the 150 flicks I've thrown would NOT turn over, period.

I've thrown a high 160's Z Flick that flips a little then fades hard, a max weight one that hyzered right out of my hands, and I've seen several 360' power throwers flip 150 Z Flicks without OAT.

They always fade though.

twmccoy said:
SkaBob said:

Maybe the only difference is a mile of elevation.

marmoset said:
twmccoy said:
SkaBob said:

Maybe the only difference is a mile of elevation.

That...could have something to do with it!

Seriously though...the 150 flick is noticably flippier than an ESP Surge, unless it's a flat top. Then, it's about as flippy as a light weight ESP Avenger (which is a good hyzer flip disc out of the box).

Still fades like a fiend, though...

The domey ones are the good ones. The flatter ones don't have the same glide, and are better for utility shots, where the domey ones are good all around distance/utility drivers.

The Flick is a strange disc. It wants to fade very hard at low to moderate speeds. You have to get a lot of speed on it to keep it from fading, but when it slows down again it springs back rapidly to a hard fade. Yeah, I think of it like a springy disc, you compress the spring with a powerful throw just to get it to go straight, and then it springs right back and knifes into the ground as the disc slows.

It is hard to get a good skip on the Flick...you have to keep it low to the ground the whole flight, since if it has air under it when it starts the strong fade it'll hit the ground at too steep an angle to promote a good skip.