• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flipping a Surge. Recommend me a disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite understand how 375-450 would be flipping it when Doss pounds these things 500+.

Exactly! Jon Drummond set the MN and WI distance records with an X Pred at around 580'. Blake T has him on video throwing a Z Pred over 600'. Since then he switched to a Force for awhile and now a Nuke for max D. He been quoted to say 'The Nuke has added 50' to my throws'. That's my argument against anyone who says discs like this are 'flippy pieces of s***'. If a guy who can throw Preds over 600' can also control and push a Nuke even farther then he's throwing the disc the way it was intended and designed! OP, learn proper form.

The argument that it goes on a steady turn does not in any way rule out OAT, just FYI. A clean release and that disc won't turn and burn. Just because you have a lot of snap doesn't mean it's clean.

Exactly! Jon Drummond set the MN and WI distance records with an X Pred at around 580'. Blake T has him on video throwing a Z Pred over 600'. Since then he switched to a Force for awhile and now a Nuke for max D. He been quoted to say 'The Nuke has added 50' to my throws'. That's my argument against anyone who says discs like this are 'flippy pieces of s***'. If a guy who can throw Preds over 600' can also control and push a Nuke even farther then he's throwing the disc the way it was intended and designed! OP, learn proper form.

He has been right all along. That loud snap on your release is not a good thing it is an indicator of a poor grip/release. I have a bunch of 980-1000+ rated friends and none of them make that snapping noise when they throw.

I should add that you are probably 100% convinced you are not having any OAT issues. Roger that....but in 3 years when you clean your form up the future you will look back at the present you and be like, "Oh man.....those dudes were right!"

Nothing wrong with that. We've all been there. At one point I was convinced, despite advice, that a 2 finger grip just worked better for me on drives. And I was one of the longer throwers so I HAD to be right. Right? Not so much...
But that was back in like '97. I have since learned better.

Before we tell him how wrong he is, let's gather some information and maybe help him instead of just lobbing criticism at him over the internet. Are you people here to help or to stroke your egos? It's almost like this place is turning into DGR. But I digress...

To the OP: Are you starting your throws flat, anhyzer, or hyzer? Instead of trying a different disc, maybe you could work with the release angle? I LOVE me some Surge for straight drives, and I'm not throwing out to 450' but my Surge flies fairly straight up to 350' or so. What I've found is that it likes to be thrown flat and low or it doesn't perform well for me. The posters above may be right that there's a flaw in your technique, even if they have no solid information about what it is.

The argument that it goes on a steady turn does not in any way rule out OAT, just FYI. A clean release and that disc won't turn and burn. Just because you have a lot of snap doesn't mean it's clean.

Also, to piggy-back on this^ comment about snapping sound, I used to produce the same sound with my drives, and it did nothing for me. I don't know that it's necessarily a symptom of OAT, but I've been putting more spin on my discs since I adjusted my grip and form and stopped making that sound with my release.

I've also heard people say somewhere else on these forums that if your discs seem to behave more understable than they're supposed to, you may be generating distance more with speed than with spin. Find a way to produce more spin on your throws and that may help with the flipping. Apparently higher RPMs tend to keep a disc flying straight and stable, as opposed to overstable or understable.

Long story short, it may be lack of RPMs rather that OAT.

The Avenger gets nice hyzers or tight flex shots with nice hard fade at the end (450ishft), the surge(450ishft again) gets huge flex shots thrown with anny or dead straight thrown flat soft to no fade at the end.

Well Im not into big rim drivers and when I try to throw a Force I always try and throw it to hard, then I get OAT and it flips it over and it goes no where. If I think about my drive at all when im throwing I screw it up which is why I tend to use slower speed stuff because you dont need to throw them as hard but they go just as far.

The thing is, Ksharp is contradicting himself from other threads he's started. This is why I presupposed his form on my fist post. He's implied he's thowing these discs from an anhyzer release and if he's turning a Force into the ground (due to OAT) from this angle then he's got major form flaws around his shoulders and wrist. It's implied that he has not acquired the skills to consistently throw with clean form at any release angle.

Last edited:
Why do you want another mold? Doesn't make sense to me to replace a disc that, according to you, can push 375-450. That's pretty mad D my friend. Sounds like youre in denial about your form issues. Is this 375-450 out in an open field or on a course with obstacles?

Try throwing with even more hyzer if your version of hyzer still flips. If you still have the same results, work on your form. A new disc wont mask your form issues.

Before we tell him how wrong he is, let's gather some information and maybe help him instead of just lobbing criticism at him over the internet. Are you people here to help or to stroke your egos? It's almost like this place is turning into DGR. But I digress...

To the OP: Are you starting your throws flat, anhyzer, or hyzer? Instead of trying a different disc, maybe you could work with the release angle? I LOVE me some Surge for straight drives, and I'm not throwing out to 450' but my Surge flies fairly straight up to 350' or so. What I've found is that it likes to be thrown flat and low or it doesn't perform well for me. The posters above may be right that there's a flaw in your technique, even if they have no solid information about what it is.

Lol dgr? . Atleast on dgr theres plenty of useful info ....not the blind leading the blind like its been on here lately.

I had this problem with a couple surge i have thrown. I started with the wraith and went to the surge because it turns easier for me, but the first surge i bought would sometimes turn but take way too long to come out of it, i have since found some that wont do that.

If u are truly turning a surge into the ground from a hyzer, then a 175g champion wraith should work perfect for ya. The wraith is a touch faster and more overstable, especially in champ plastic.

Also why is no one actually answering the OPs question??? If he would of asked about a form question you would have Pre.rude. him. He asked about a disc, try to stay on topic. 99% of people on this site have form flaws but start threads about discs.

Cant we all just get along??

I agree with all the comments about form, if you really need a new mold, the crush in Z or ESP is what you're looking for.
More stable, and slightly more speed.

I was thinking of trying an r-pro destroyer?

Id stay away from any destroyer that isnt star or echo star. If you really cant control your surge, :confused:, then either get it in Z, get a brand new one, or get a wraith. If you can throw 450, then an eagle or teebird will do just fine. But if you're looking for distance drives, star wraith, or destroyer will suffice

Also why is no one actually answering the OPs question??? If he would of asked about a form question you would have Pre.rude. him. He asked about a disc, try to stay on topic. 99% of people on this site have form flaws but start threads about discs.

It's because he's asking the wrong question and expecting an answer he already knows is 'right'. If he's not bull-headed he'll listen to us/me. It'll save him years of over-torquing, and OATing over-stable discs to mask his form flaws. He's most likely plateauing in his game and will stay this way for years if doesn't change his mentality about proper form.

Why do you want another mold? Doesn't make sense to me to replace a disc that, according to you, can push 375-450. That's pretty mad D my friend.

How about a heavier surge?

Form issues aside, this is probably the easiest solution. You may just have a mysteriously flippy Surge. Just get a new one, maybe a little heavier, maybe in Z plastic. If you're still flippin', then you might want to re-investigate your technique.

It's because he's asking the wrong question and expecting an answer he already knows is 'right'. If he's not bull-headed he'll listen to us/me. It'll save him years of over-torquing, and OATing over-stable discs to mask his form flaws. He's most likely plateauing in his game and will stay this way for years if doesn't change his mentality about proper form.

If you truly want to help the guy, rather than getting angry at him for resisting your advice, see if you can figure out how to deliver the advice in a way that he'll be more receptive to, such as asking him for more information about his throws, or asking him for a video, etc. Otherwise if you're already frustrated with this guy and tired of fighting his resistance, why waste your effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.