• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fluke's bag

Sunday funday after work round with Bean. Rockland reds, of course. It was muggy with off and on light rain and some gusting winds.

3,3,3,3,2,2,4,3,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,3,4=52

The round ended on a disappointing note but the light rains and no umbrella lead to some grip issues at that point. The weather looks dicey for the next two days so I may not get another round in.

I ordered 2 Star Thunderbirds and 2 Sirius Scorpius last night. I ordered the Thunderbirds because my Gstar is definitely more overstable than my seasoned champ but I don't like the dome on it. I also want a little more skip-ability. The Gstar doesn't get much ground play. I ordered the Scorpius because I feel like I should throw them for some reason. I threw a 167g Sirius Scorpius for some practice throws today. It flew similar distance to my wraith but I could rip it flat and it would fly straight to fade whereas the wraith bleeds a little left before fading. As long as the new Thunderbirds are pretty flat one is going into the bag. Time will tell on the Scorpius.

OTBdiscs.com will tell you how flat/domey and how firm/gummy a disc is. I usually use it to gauge how the current run of a disc is looking dome wise. All of the Star Thunderbirds on there are showing neutral flatness, so you should be good.

Bean and I played the Monster B pins today. Winds were out of the west at 15 mph gusting to 30. I bagged the 167 Scorpius thinking I could use it with the gusting winds. I didn't throw it once. All the holes I would have used it on were slight tail cross winds. The wraiths work great in those conditions. The winds helped me get into the circle for birdie looks on holes 11 and 12. I missed on 11 but cashed in on 12.

I tied my personal best. 5 under par.

4,3,3,3,4,3,3,3,4,5,4,3,3,3,4,3,3,3=61

I threw:
175 Gstar TL3 (the flippy one)
167 Star Barsby Roadrunner
Little Magic
Red
175 Gstar TL3
Ol' Blue
170 Gstar Wraith
175 Champ Roc3
168 Gstar Thunderbird
168 Champ Thunderbird
163 Star Wraith
175 Recon Mortar
168 Star Mako3
180 Star Mako3

Last edited:
We came up last Saturday and played Upper Meadows and the Monster. I had never played the Monster at all and only part of Upper Meadows. I shot 52 on Upper Meadows playing pretty well (lot of holes on it that I am going to get a 3 on no matter how well or poorly I play) and 74 on the Monster running out of gas.

We came up last Saturday and played Upper Meadows and the Monster. I had never played the Monster at all and only part of Upper Meadows. I shot 52 on Upper Meadows playing pretty well (lot of holes on it that I am going to get a 3 on no matter how well or poorly I play) and 74 on the Monster running out of gas.
The Upper Meadows seems to put a high priority on distance vs the Monster. I know, that sounds a bit silly considering the monster is 3000' longer. Holes 10, 11, and 12 on the monster are the only 3 that I feel put the premium on driving distance. For the rest, one should be able to par or birdie with precision 300' shots. (It sounds so simple) I've shot from 61 to the mid 70's on the monster and consider it a victory if I'm keeping it under 68. The wind plays a huge factor there. Anything from the northerly directions will really hinder your round.

My Thunderbirds and Scorpius came in today. The thundies look and feel fantastic. The only question is neon yellow or pink? I'm leaning toward the yellow.

The Upper Meadows seems to put a high priority on distance vs the Monster. I know, that sounds a bit silly considering the monster is 3000' longer. Holes 10, 11, and 12 on the monster are the only 3 that I feel put the premium on driving distance. For the rest, one should be able to par or birdie with precision 300' shots. (It sounds so simple) I've shot from 61 to the mid 70's on the monster and consider it a victory if I'm keeping it under 68. The wind plays a huge factor there. Anything from the northerly directions will really hinder your round.
Not silly at all. A 600 foot par 4 is much less distance dependent than a 400 foot par 3.

Bean and I played an after work round on the Rockland reds. On hole 7 we caught up to a 20 year old kid playing his third round of disc golf ever. Rockland is a tough place for that. I saw he was a lefty and was checking Udisc for directions. I offered my guide services. We played the rest of the round with him. We got to search a lot more of the rough than we're used to. We made it out with all his discs and I gave him a few pointers and his throws became markedly better. Hopefully he's hooked for life. I gave him a few more course options in the area that were more suited to learning the game.

I played pretty good considering I took a six in hole 13.

3,3,2,3,4,2,5,2,2,2,3,3,6,4,4,3,3,3=57

I put the yellow Star Thunderbird in the bag. I think the Gstar I had been throwing is more overstable than the new Star. I'll have to get a few more reps in over the next couple days to be sure.

Bean and I headed to Tom's Brook to play the Monster B's this afternoon but we abandoned the round after 5 holes due to an impending thunderstorm. We may try again tomorrow.

We headed out to see if Rockland was in the clear weather wise. I needed retribution on hole 13 anyway. We played the first 7 holes in a light rain and we're fortunate enough to leave my umbrella in the truck after nine.

3,3,2,3,3,2,4,3,2,2,3,3,3,4,3,3,3,3=52

I threw:
The 4 Omegas
180g Star Mako3
175g Recon Mortar
2x TL3 (the straight Gstar and the champ)
Star Barsby Roadrunner
2x Thunderbird (champ and new Star)
2x Wraith (Gstar and 163g Star)

I've Deuced hole 3 two rounds in a row with the Star Mako3. Thanks @texasissouth! I also took a 3 on hole 13, lol!F82FB1C6-D3A0-4AF3-AF60-C860355D117C.jpeg
Bean was picking acorns on hole 16.

Last edited:
Tell the truth, Fluke. Bean found a crusty old possum that's been dead a couple weeks and wanted to see if it was still tasty.

Tell the truth, Fluke. Bean found a crusty old possum that's been dead a couple weeks and wanted to see if it was still tasty.
No. He was actually pulling acorns off a branch that had fallen during a recent storm. It took him a few minutes to get them all.

We made it through the Monster B's today. This round was a tale of two nines. I tore up the front but then the back nine slapped me around a little bit, especially at the beginning. The new Star Thunderbird is getting thrown a lot. It is definitely less overstable than the Gstar I was throwing previously. I assumed Gstar would be the least overstable of the Thunderbirds. It works that way with Wraiths and TL3s.

4,3,3,4,3,3,3,3,3,6,5,4,3,5,3,3,3,3=64

I threw:
4 Omegas
171g Star Mako3 (hyzer-flip machine)
175g Champ Roc3
175g Recon Mortar
3 TL3's (2 Gstar 1 champ)
2 Thunderbirds (169g Star and 168g champ)
2 Wraiths (171g Gstar and 163g Star)

Highlights:
Birdie on hole 3: backhand roller with the Gstar wraith into the tree line. 100' approach with Ol' Blue and a short putt with red.

Birdie on hole 6: 163g Star Wraith out the left gap into the open. Little Magic approach to 15' and a putt.

Birdie on hole 9: forehand Star Thunderbird to another forehand champ Thunderbird to 25' short and level with the pin. Red cashed in.

Birdie on hole 18: Gstar Wraith out of the gap and more left and thus higher on the hill than usual. 163g Star Wraith a little too low but on line to 70' short. Little Magic smashes the spin to win putt uphill. I raise my hands in victory. Bean, again, remains indifferent.

It's Sunday so guess what? Bean and I played the Rockland reds after work. We had a good round. I was throwing and putting with smoothness. I'm still working with the new Star Thunderbird. It will be staying in the bag for a while.

The discs:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
Star Mako3 (thanks Brian)
Champ TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraiths

The scores:
3,3,2,3,3,2,3,2,2,2,3,3,2,3,3,3,3,3=48

Highlights:
Another round in the 40's! So close to my PB again.

I parked hole 3 for a deuce with the 180g Mako3 again. Three rounds, three twos in a row.

I took a 3 on hole 7: Forehand champ thunderbird early and left then a forehand flex with the same thunderbird to get to the edge of the fairway. The highlight was the 175' patent pending slight anhyzer with Little Magic that smashed dead center!

I made a 50' spinner with Little Magic on hole 13 from almost pin high and right to take the 2.

Monster B's today. No thunderstorms to speak of but it was hot with some breezes out of the north maybe 10 mph. I've been playing pretty well lately. Not as good as I feel I should but still pretty good. Today was no different.

Discs:
3 Omegas
171 Star Mako3
2 TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
Draco
3 Wraiths

The score:
4,3,3,4,4,4,3,3,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,3,2,3=64

The highlights:
3 on hole 3: Roller Gstar Wraith pulled left but staying in bounds halfway down the fairway. Forehand skip with the Draco to access the green. 55' straddle with Little Magic to card the bird.

4 on hole 10: 163g Star Wraith shorter than I'd like to a technical roller with the Gstar Wraith to get back in position. Champ Thunderbird to 35' short and Red cashes in.

Deuce on hole 17: 163 Wraith to 45' short. Little Magic makes the uphill jumper.

3 on 18: 163 wraith out of the gap to Gstar wraith to 40' right. Red makes the putt.

It seems like Little Magic version 3 has picked up all the magic it needs. It just goes where I want it to pretty much every time and when I'm throwing it I'm usually aiming to make it. Anyone else have a disc that is their "I'm gonna throw this one in" disc?

Bean and I got to play a round with texasissouth today. Its always a pleasure to play with a good golfer who has a good attitude. My streak of pretty hot rounds came to a close unfortunately. I didn't have a bad round but I wanted better. I missed 3 circle putts. If I'd made them I would have been satisfied. I also took two 5's. Those didn't make me happy. It looks like I have a few days of brooding until I can have my revenge.

The discs:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
2 TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraiths

The scores:
3,5,3,4,3,2,3,2,2,3,2,4,3,3,5,3,3,3=56

The highlights:

I took a 3 on hole 7. Champ Thunderbird to the landing zone then a standstill hyzer-flip Mako3 to 6' from the pin.

70' spinny downhill jumper with Little Magic on hole 8 to cash the birdie. It just squeaked over the rim.

I took the 2 on hole 11. Forehand Star Thunderbird to 20' and a putt from Red. I'm really liking this Thunderbird. It's very workable.

PS: I realized looking back at this thread that I was able to "shoot my age" for the first time on July 31 when I played the Lower Forest white tees to B pins. It would be tougher to do at Rockland.

Last edited:
Ok Superfans, you know what time of the week it is. Bean and I are back at it. Rockland reds today.

4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
Star Mako3
Champ Roc3
Champ TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
Draco
2 Wraiths

3,3,3,3,2,2,4,3,2,2,2,4,4,3,4,3,3,4=54

Ugh, that back nine. Deucing hole 11 was pretty cool. I parked it with the Star Thunderbird. I also threw the Roc3 today. That's a rarity at Rockland. I used to rely on Rocs as my only midrange. They only get one or two tosses a round lately.

Welcome back Superfans to this weeks episode of MONSTER MONDAY!!!

Bean and I played the Monster B's today. The weather was low 80's, slightly overcast and breezes from the east. I played pretty on fire. I shot my personal best and still felt like it could be improved upon. I had two deuces on the card. I'm pretty sure that's a first for me.

The discs:
3 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
3 TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraiths

4,3,3,3,4,3,3,2,5,4,4,4,2,3,3,3,3,4=60

The highlights:

The deuce on hole 8. Flippy Mako3 on a hyzer-flip with not enough hyzer and too much flip to 80' short. I smash the jumper with Little Magic.

The deuce on hole 13. It's my first 2 here. I lay down the beat Gstar TL3 with a lot of cut on the downslope in the center of the gap. I keep watching waiting for it to flip up and roll back to the left. Just as I think, "dang! Must've hit something." It curls back left into view 30' short of the pin. Red is dead center.

I'm back to work tomorrow so today Bean and I played. We spun the Rockland reds. It'll be fun to mix in the blue tees again once the summer growth dies back.

I threw:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
Champ Roc3
Champ TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraiths

3,3,3,4,3,2,3,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,3,3,4=51

Highlights:

3 on hole 7 again: forehand champ thunderbird to standstill hyzer-flip Mako3 to 15' short left and a made putt.

4 twos in a row on 8-11. Forehand Star Thunderbird got me 11 again.

Scramble for 3 on hole 14. Drive was left and short of the hill. I played a perfect anhyzer with Ol' Blue that helicoptered to 2' from the pin.